By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does the 3DS compare to the PSP, power wise?

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:
ironmanDX said:
JoeTheBro said:
curl-6 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Also remember that game makers get better with time. Compare launch PSP games with launch 3DS games and you'll see the large improvement.

If only people would remember this when talking about the Wii U, haha.

Oh I know. In only a few years its games will look way better than anything on PS360.

That's a good thing. It will look more comparable to the nexbox and ps4 when they release.....The Wii received a beating by people over its no hd capabilities and the WiiU is being trashed on this site already. I can't wait till e3,hopefully Ninty will have something to shut them up.

Retro's game should be very impressive visually, im hoping its either a huge open world western RPG or a new Metroid

Considering how beautiful Metroid Prime 3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns were despite running on 88MB of RAM and a fixed function GPU, Retro should be able to blow minds with a programmable GPU and 1GB of RAM. At least I hope so, I'm afraid of getting my hopes up for anything on the Wii U front these days; knowing my luck they'l be working on Mario Kart U or something else that's graphically modest.

On topic, I don't think the 3DS is up to the Gamecube graphically; it has newer shader tech, but textures and polygon counts seem far below GC levels.

@Retro working on Mario Kart U: They will (at most) devote a small team to the game, you have to keep in mind that Namco just released a new Mario Kart Arcade kabinet and I´m pretty sure that if EAD 1 needs more manpower to get the game ready for Christmas, they will contact Namco (again, likeSSB) they do that a lot lately (Oot3D with Grezzo, Fire Emblem Awakening with Red Entertainment, Mario 3D LAnd with Brownie Brown, Paper Mario Sticker Star with Vanpool etc.) +the lead artist at Retro studios tweeted something along the lines of "My next project will be my crowning achievement blabla..."  !

On topic: Definately far better in the texture departement, and the poly count is a step up too!

Around the Network

To answer your question:

The PSP has a CPU underclock at 222 MHz on pre-install firmware, but now runs at 333 MHz if you got the Firmware updates.

The 3DS has its 2-core CPU clock at 800 MHz a core on pre-install firmware 1.0.0-0, and might be currently clocked at more then 1 GHz a core on the current firmware of 5.1.0-11.

The PSP is weaker then the PS2 which is weaker then the GameCube, which had a GPU of 194 MHz, so it's a safe bet that the PSP GPU is less then 190 MHz, while the 3DS has its GPU underclock at 400 MHz (PICA200, 2010 model, there's also a 2008 & 2006 model. The 2006 model can do 400 MHz max clock). Anyways the 3DS on pre-install firmware can only handle GPU at 400 MHz. (the Wii U on pre-install firmware can handle GPU as high as at 800 MHz)

The 3DS pixel performence is 1.6 billion, and has around 60 shader cores.

The 3DS 2D resolution is 800 x 240 vs. the PSP 2D resolution of 480 x 272.

If the PSP could do 3D, then here's what the 3D resolution comparison would be for side-by-side 3D:

3DS = 400 x 240

PSP = 240 x 272

curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
Otakumegane said:

PSP GC and 3DS are close, but 3DS has more modern techniques.

Powerwise, def behind the Xbox though.

The 3DS has a 400 MHz GPU vs. the Wii 243 MHz GPU.

The 3DS on pre-install firmware has its CPU clocked at twice the clock speed of the Wii CPU. Plus the 3DS has a 2010 CPU, while the Wii has a 2005 CPU, so the 3DS can process probably 8 times as much as the Wii on Firmware 1.0.0-0.

MHz are not an accurate measure of power between different architectures. I don't believe for a second that the 3DS CPU is eight times more powerful than the Wii's. The 3DS CPU may be newer, but on the other hand as a handheld component it has to be smaller and consume less power, which limits its power relative to a console CPU.

Well, I do know that the 3DS on firmware 1.0.0-0 has its 2-core CPU underclock at 800 MHz a core, while the Wii has a 729 MHz single core CPU.

Plus the Wii CPU is a 2005 CPU, while the 3DS CPU is a 2010 CPU.

BossPuma said:
after seeing this thread. i wonder how much the difference between the Vita and Ps3 are.

The PS Vita has a 4-core 1 GHz CPU that is much underclock, while the PS3 has a 7-core 3 GHz CPU. The 3DS has a 2-core 1.8 GHz CPU underclock at 800 MHz a core on firmware 1.0.0-0, while on 5.1.0-U is probably above 1 GHz a core, but the PS Vita has a 4-core CPU underclock at unknown a core on pre-install & current firmware.

The PS Vita has a 4-core 266 MHz GPU vs. the 3DS 1-core 400 MHz GPU vs. the PS3 1-core 550 MHz GPU.

The PS Vita has around 15 shader cores vs, the 3DS around 60 shader cores vs. the PS3 around 50 shader cores.

Hope that gives some understanding. I wouldn't compare 8th Gen Handhelds to the 360 & PS3 (3 GHz CPUs), unless you are comparing the 3DS shader cores LOL.

Kaizar said:
curl-6 said:
Kaizar said:
Otakumegane said:

PSP GC and 3DS are close, but 3DS has more modern techniques.

Powerwise, def behind the Xbox though.

The 3DS has a 400 MHz GPU vs. the Wii 243 MHz GPU.

The 3DS on pre-install firmware has its CPU clocked at twice the clock speed of the Wii CPU. Plus the 3DS has a 2010 CPU, while the Wii has a 2005 CPU, so the 3DS can process probably 8 times as much as the Wii on Firmware 1.0.0-0.

MHz are not an accurate measure of power between different architectures. I don't believe for a second that the 3DS CPU is eight times more powerful than the Wii's. The 3DS CPU may be newer, but on the other hand as a handheld component it has to be smaller and consume less power, which limits its power relative to a console CPU.

Well, I do know that the 3DS on firmware 1.0.0-0 has its 2-core CPU underclock at 800 MHz a core, while the Wii has a 729 MHz single core CPU.

Plus the Wii CPU is a 2005 CPU, while the 3DS CPU is a 2010 CPU.

But the 3DS CPU has to run off a small amount of power, take up less space, and run cooler because there's no room for a fan, all of which can significantly reduce its raw processing output. The Wii CPU didn't have these constraints.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Retro's game should be very impressive visually, im hoping its either a huge open world western RPG or a new Metroid

Considering how beautiful Metroid Prime 3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns were despite running on 88MB of RAM and a fixed function GPU, Retro should be able to blow minds with a programmable GPU and 1GB of RAM. At least I hope so, I'm afraid of getting my hopes up for anything on the Wii U front these days; knowing my luck they'l be working on Mario Kart U or something else that's graphically modest.

On topic, I don't think the 3DS is up to the Gamecube graphically; it has newer shader tech, but textures and polygon counts seem far below GC levels.

@Retro working on Mario Kart U: They will (at most) devote a small team to the game, you have to keep in mind that Namco just released a new Mario Kart Arcade kabinet and I´m pretty sure that if EAD 1 needs more manpower to get the game ready for Christmas, they will contact Namco (again, likeSSB) they do that a lot lately (Oot3D with Grezzo, Fire Emblem Awakening with Red Entertainment, Mario 3D LAnd with Brownie Brown, Paper Mario Sticker Star with Vanpool etc.) +the lead artist at Retro studios tweeted something along the lines of "My next project will be my crowning achievement blabla..."  !

On topic: Definately far better in the texture departement, and the poly count is a step up too!

Wow, did you have a link to that? My excitement levels just spiked! XD

From what i found out, the 3DS is to the gamecube like the PSP was for the PS2. Thought its known that the 3DS has a good processor.

curl-6 said:
orniletter said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=169816

I can´t wait for E3 :D !

orniletter said:
curl-6 said:
orniletter said:
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=169816

I can´t wait for E3 :D !

Neither can I! :D The Wii U desperately needs a showcase, and Retro have never made a bad game yet. Plus this guy worked on Uncharted 3 so I think it's safe to say he's got talent.

Kaizar and its super accurate spec data strike again xD
Anyway, doesnt matter if its more powerful, since the really important thing is devs. wanting to put enough money to make amazing visuals or not.

In theory, 3DS has comparable drawing power to WiiGC but with programable shaders 1.1, which makes grafix look more shiny and reflective, having less storage space for game carts doesnt help, but the most important thing devs arentvwilling to put money to create great grafix, which is pretty much end of the story...

In theory, 3DS can produce better visuals than WiiGC but apart from Revelations, which had its very highs but also some lows, i dont think any dev will put enough effort to show what the hw can do.'

Compared to PSP, 3DS should be way above, and the key word is should...but its really not because f what i said earlier in this post.