By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does the 3DS compare to the PSP, power wise?

I'm unfamiliar with the innards of these systems, but a brief overview shows the 3DS  has 2/4 times as much RAM, (depending on PSP model) twice as much VRAM, and while its main screen is lower resolution at 240x400 vs 272x480 on PSP, 3D pushes the number to 240x800, plus there's the 240x320 bottom screen.

As far as how the CPUs and GPUs compare though, I'm at a loss, can anyone tech-savvy explain to me how they compare?

Around the Network

It's comparable but defiantly a good leap. Also remember that game makers get better with time. Compare launch PSP games with launch 3DS games and you'll see the large improvement.

It is always difficult to compare specs of consoles one-to-one given their custom architectures. Comparing RAM is also difficult because system software and memory implementation also varies drastically by console. My opinion as an electrical engineer is that you should simply look at the games, since that's all that matters anyways.

Generally the 3DS is definitely more powerful than the PSP. It's not exactly a giant jump, but it's clearly noticeable.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

JoeTheBro said:
Also remember that game makers get better with time. Compare launch PSP games with launch 3DS games and you'll see the large improvement.

If only people would remember this when talking about the Wii U, haha.

curl-6 said:
JoeTheBro said:
Also remember that game makers get better with time. Compare launch PSP games with launch 3DS games and you'll see the large improvement.

If only people would remember this when talking about the Wii U, haha.

Oh I know. In only a few years its games will look way better than anything on PS360.

Around the Network

More.

Is it safe to say its similar to PS2 vs GC

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It is no doubt more powerful than the Psp in my opinion. Games like Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus, and Kingdom Hearts make me certain.

Not sure how accurate this is, but 3DS is stronger in a variety of ways even if it isn't pushing tech very far.

The PSP has 128 ppi and the 3DS has 237 ppi. As what seems to be Nintendo's calling card, releasing hardware at a marginal increase in performance as a means to provide lower cost of development, even though I'm not sure that always translates, but it atleast provides them with cheaper manufacturing costs to prevent the need to sell at a large loss....well typically.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

PSP<PS2<3DS<GC
GC and 3DS are close, but 3DS has more modern techniques.

Powerwise, def behind the Xbox though.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)