By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you smarter than me?

Do you think you're smarter than most people on this sight?

Yes 222 64.35%

No 48 13.91%

See results 75 21.74%

Total:345

If smart means intelligent, then most probably yes. Several teachers wanted me tested but I always refused because it is of no meaning to me. In certain areas (e.g. my job) it is quite helpful but if it comes to social behaviour some intelligent people absolutely fail which is what I always wanted to avoid. My friends know that I am more intelligent than them but it doesn't bother them when we go out drinking beer and stare at women while drunk ;) But I also have some "difficulties" in my life. It took me more lessons to get a driver's license than most people need and still I'm not the best driver out there (unless driving in Forza, of course).

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:

Actually I am just gonna come out and say that most of the incredibly stupid things I see are from ignorance.  Too many people on this site think they know computer tech when really, they need to spend a lot of time educating themselves before they say something silly like "RAM doesn't affect performance."

But some are overdoing it with RAM: It doesn't affect fps, for example. But generally yes, most keep parotting what they read here or at GAF.

JoeTheBro said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
I'm as smart as Forrest Gump.

So you've met the president I assume? Impressive.

I met the president of Mexico when I was a kid, but I guess that doesn't counts /:

I consider myself somewhat smart. More than average, sure, but that's not saying much. I would say top 30% or so.

I believe we should first reach common grounds of what these "intelligence" terms mean.

I define (and this is also the definition that I think makes most sense) intelligence subjectively as the raw ability to understand complex systems, and deduce patterns. This definition perfectly allows for extremely uneducated people to be extremely intelligent for example, since education or knowledge is generally not required (but it has shown to help) for high intelligence. A kind of synonym is reasoning skills.

There is no book smart or street smart. That's just something that the people who think they're smarter than others (but aren't really much so) made up to feel better about themselves. If book smart essentially means reasoning skills, that's all there is to it. Street smart just means "common sense", which is more of a thoughtless intuition about things. When I talk about intelligence, I refer to the potential that an individual may have. A person with what people would call very high "book smarts" but low "street smarts" is nevertheless capable, because of his book smarts, to understand and act on street smarts if the person desired so. A person with high street smarts but low book smarts cannot suddenly become book smart, since book smart refers directly to reasoning skills, which are pretty much fixed for a single person during adulthood.

Now to answer the actual question posed; I don't know if I'm smarter than the average people here. I know for a fact that I'm smarter than average people, but it seems that so many of us in this website have done or are doing really well in academics, so I couldn't really say.

Around the Network

I'm sure we've had a thread before asking people to take an online IQ test and report their results.

If the test had any level of validity and people weren't simply lying through their teeth about the results, VGChartz has one of the smartest collection of people anywhere in the world, either physical or virtual.

It would be exceedingly interesting if that was in fact the case, but i have my doubts.....;)

So in answer to the question, if VGChartz user's average level of intelligence is comparable to the general public, yes. If it is actually as reported by VGChartz users, then maybe not and think tanks the world over should be patronising this site for the purposes of recruitment.

hsrob said:
I'm sure we've had a thread before asking people to take an online IQ test and report their results.

If the test had any level of validity and people weren't simply lying through their teeth about the results, VGChartz has one of the smartest collection of people anywhere in the world, either physical or virtual.

It would be exceedingly interesting if that was in fact the case, but i have my doubts.....;)

So in answer to the question, if VGChartz user's average level of intelligence is comparable to the general public, yes. If it is actually as reported by VGChartz users, then maybe not and think tanks the world over should be patronising this site for the purposes of recruitment.

Yeah, it certainly feels that way. If it is true, I wonder what exactly about this site is special that draws in some really intelligent people. Is it really just the videogames+the numbers (you know, combination of videogame hobby and the sales numbers)?

hsrob said:

I could scan the documents of my IQ test (a real one, not that internet bullshit) - 1 person verified, X to go :P

Michael-5 said:
bananaking21 said:

ill answer the poll once you are done making it. and yes i am smarter than the average joe. im also smarter than the average rocket scientist as well. yes i am that smart

Rocket Science is not hard. It's essentially the science of propulsion which is based on Newtons Third Law. I never understood why people always think Rocket Scientists are so bright.

---

I voted smarted then you, but it's just the odds. My IQ is like 142 ish, but that's a test I had done as a kid when they emitted me to gifted. LOL when I did that test, I scored above the measurable values in problem solving, I literally got above perfect, and they didn't have a grading system to encompass that. However my math score was only high, and english was only above average.

its just a figure of speach

I have to say yes considering the average joe spelled site wrong in the poll.