By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Aldro's thoughts on Tomb Raider (2013)

Tagged games:

Been a while now but I havent really been motivated to play the game. But now that its done (spoilers below) =>

I felt it had a lackluster story and an overall not fun shooting mechanic (aside from the Bow which I luckily used 80% of the time). There were some annoying moments and really questionable implementation of quick time events.

The game itself was too long for the story it told which made it a bit tedious for a game without any real variation in terms of gameplay aside from some pacing break ups during platforming/puzzles. The enemies were also rather dull throughout.

Guess you could've explored the "hub like" open nature of the game but I didn't.
I kinda wanted the game to just end halfway into it due to the lack of interest. And don't get me started on the MP.

Having said that:
The voice acting is superb, animations are great as well, the atmosphere is pretty rich even though I detest the actual island itself. I have a feeling of -not wanting- to be there (which Lara & Co feels too) so in that sense it makes sense. But it just doesnt make for a compelling reason to play in my opinion.

Perhaps if the story actually was interesting to me I wouldn't have bothered with it so much. I barely read any logs or whatever but I still seem to have gotten the main story which is good but still really feels underwhelming. You are on an Island, its cursed => You can pretty much figure out the rest as you go. The twists (if you can even call them that) are insanely predictable. You are really just going along, killing everyone, waiting for the game to end (atleast that how it was to me). Perhaps if Lara interacted more with others, i wouldnt have felt this way. But then again its Tomb Raider so I understand why it is like it is .

Im guessing the game just wasnt for me. Aside from the two second scene where Lara has two guns, I didn't really feel much at all. (Oh and when Roth dies.)

There were a lot of "ITS JUST LIKE UNCHARTED" going on before release and that kind of sealed the deal for me to get it. But the truth is: It's not Uncharted. It's its own game and a good one at that. But it didnt match my taste and thats all there is to it.

Grade wise (derp), 7/10 for me.

Around the Network

tl;dr version: It's not Uncharted.

I didn't find it new or exciting but what it did do was executed quite well. No one component in particular was really amazing on it's on - AI was annoying, pacing seemed a bit off, shooting mechanics were okay - (though I did like the puzzles), but as a whole it was a definitely worth playing. I was expecting a poor, soul-less, desperate attempt at "refreshing" the Tomb Raider franchise by hijacking popular elements from other games. And in some ways, that's what I got. But it impressed me by actually being a solid game.

I wouldn't call it one of my favorites the generation, and probably not for the year, but definitely one of my more enjoyed games recently. Here's hoping they can improve on the next one. And if the next game is only as good as this one, then that's just okay.

I think I would give it an 7-8/10 (still playing). 

EDIT: As for the Story, I didn't really care for it. But I don't care for most stories in video games as they're usually terrible (and this one seemed like a hardcore LOST ripoff anyway). I didn't dock any points for it though.

badgenome said:
tl;dr version: It's not Uncharted.

Hahaha can't debunk that

The story was a strong point for me. Finding and reading/listening to the Documents. Backstory was cool.

Quite unique and fresh.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
I didn't find it new or exciting but what it did do was executed quite well. No one component in particular was really amazing on it's on - AI was annoying, pacing seemed a bit off, shooting mechanics were okay - but as a whole it was a definitely worth playing. I was expecting a poor, soul-less, desperate attempt at "refreshing" the Tomb Raider franchise by hijacking popular elements from other games. And in some ways, that's what I got. But I was mostly wrong. It isn't the most original game, but overall it's definitely a solid game, which was impressive.

I wouldn't call it one of my favorites the generation, and probably not for the year, but definitely one of my more enjoyed games recently. Here's hoping they can improve on the next one.

I think I would give it an 7-8/10 (still playing).

I like the Lara of the old TR's so to see her again was pretty cool even if she's a bit different. I was a mere kid when I played the PC games where that scary Butler would follow me inside of the house. I was like "WHO THE FUCK IS HE" XD

Carl2291 said:
The story was a strong point for me. Finding and reading/listening to the Documents. Backstory was cool.

Quite unique and fresh.

Had we actually gotten to play something in some way before the whole incident on the island then I think that would've been pretty genious.
It would A) Take me off of that island which would change the environment and give us a bit of a different feel, B) Make the story somewhat more interesting.

Then again, UC3 did that so yeah. Badgenome is right, Tl:dr => It wasnt Uncharted for me xD

I skimmed it but I agree thats it's better then Uncharted 3

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

One thing I did love was the cover system. I guess it's not really a cover system since you don't have to press a button to snap to take cover. Instead, whenever you're in position, Lara will take cover automatically. Get near a wall or cover and she'll put herself behind to avoid enemy fire. When you want to shoot, just press the aim button and Lara will pop out of cover using whatever animation is appropriate.

Essentially, she basically just hides her body automatically when possible. It's pretty cool. I didn't find myself accidentally taking cover when I wanted to roll, getting stuck in cover, popping out too far, etc. If there was any one component about TR that I felt was the most game-changing, I would say this is it. It is the best cover system I've played and I hope every 3rd person shooter copies it, seriously. Too bad the actually shooting mechanics and AI felt subpar.

Jay520 said:
One thing I did love was the cover system. I guess it's not really a cover system since you don't have to press a button to snap to take cover. Instead, whenever you're in position, Lara will take cover automatically.
Get near a wall or cover and she'll put herself behind to avoid enemy fire. When you want to shut, just press the aim button and Lara will pop out of cover using whatever animation is appropriate.

Essentially, she basically just hides her body automatically when possible. It's pretty cool. I didn't find myself accidentally taking cover when I wanted to roll, getting stuck in cover, popping out too far, etc. If there was any one component about TR that I felt was the most game-changing, I would say this is it. It is the best cover system I've played and I hope every 3rd person shooter copies it, seriously. Too bad the actually shooting mechanics and AI felt subpar.

Yeah I loved that too! It really felt like The Last Of Us for some reason XD. The way it felt so natural kinda. I think TLOU has a button prompt but the feel of it and the few encounters in the beginning really gave me that vibe. (Before they throw a lot at you and it becomes a ton of bang bang).

But towards the end I died a few times because Lara for some reason would not go into cover. It was at the area where the wind is blowing like mad towards the end (okay I get that its not specific) but it really pissed me off :P