By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Universal Background Checks

theprof00 said:

But it does. It does because it helps us find out who did the crime. Without checks and security, we would never find the culprits, which would lead to conversations like "just get a gun from X, and do it, nobody will ever find out".

I think you're caught up in either semantics, or imagination land. We don't expect people to not die by guns. We expect to catch people when they do bad things, and that's what laws help to do.

When someone buys a gun from someone other than mem who has been background checked, where is that paper trail?

You think a person looking to commit a heinous crime, or someone in a large scale gang buys his guns from Joe Shmoe down the block?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Using guns to harm others IS ILLEGAL RIGHT NOW! So if someone uses a gun to inflict harm thye can be prosecuted for it "to the full extent of the law".

Criminals don't hesitate when breaking the law. Law abiding citesens don't hesitate either because they don't break the law.

Universal background checks gets in the way of my property rights and does nothing to stop criminals from committing crimes.

Universal background checks creates a paper trail that eventually leads a crime back to the source.

I don't see what the problem is.

You want to resell a gun, then do so. They just need a background check, as they would need to do with any other gun purchase.

"paper trail that eventually leads a crime back to the source"

What crime and what source?

If I sell you a gun and you kill someone with it, that's your crime not mine. Again I must explain that laws don't stop criminals. Criminals don't file paper work and honest people don't need the government in their lives any more than it already is. The last thing we need is the government using a gun registry, (paper work), to confiscate honest people's property.

This is what happens though. We get attacked and everyone freaked out.

The end result is everything other that what needs to be focused on gets focused on. Like these guns laws...

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

You are all madmen!

I have a clean record, so I'm just going to buy guns and resell them to criminals where I can make double to triple what the guns are actually worth, allowing me to make lots of money without having to work for it, and hey fuck everyone else as a bonus. Not my problem.

Matter of fact, why am I not doing this already? Good idea kain.

theprof00 said:

But if you sold someone a gun, that's different, isn't it?

Is it? I mean, there are lots of legitimate reasons for a person to own a gun. What should a gun shop's liability be when one of their customers - particularly one who has passed a background check and everything - goes and does something awful with the gun they bought?

But as for gun control on the whole, it just seems to be very odd that the onus always falls on the pro-gun side. I'm not terribly interested in guns myself and haven't owned one in a long time, but gun control just doesn't seem to work very well. Look at places like Chicago and D.C. that have had super stringent laws (which were later ruled unconstitutional) and still have massive amounts of gun crime. It seems horribly immoral to disarm law-abiding people in dangerous neighborhoods while being completely impotent when it comes to controlling the bad element there. I'd say it's downright perverse to expect someone like Wayne LaPierre to answer for the Newton shootings when the anti-gun crowd skates on having to answer for the abysmal failures of gun control in other places.

It's true that local gun control isn't really workable because of areas that do allow guns. Guns in Chicago have always come from places where guns are legal, but isn't that going to happen with a federal ban as well? The feds don't seem to have any luck stopping the drugs they've banned from coming over, nor do they seem very serious about controlling the border in general, so the dynamic would seem to be exactly the same: the law only affects the kind of person who is already inclined to abide by it and thus isn't much of a threat, while people who don't give a fig about the law continue doing whatever they want.

Euphoria14 said:
theprof00 said:

But it does. It does because it helps us find out who did the crime. Without checks and security, we would never find the culprits, which would lead to conversations like "just get a gun from X, and do it, nobody will ever find out".

I think you're caught up in either semantics, or imagination land. We don't expect people to not die by guns. We expect to catch people when they do bad things, and that's what laws help to do.

When someone buys a gun from someone other than mem who has been background checked, where is that paper trail?

You think a person looking to commit a heinous crime, or someone in a large scale gang buys his guns from Joe Shmoe down the block?

LOL there are numerous trails. Manufacturers build in defects in designs to tell where guns came from. Serial numbers. Specific types of bullets, etc. All this info can help lead to the distributor.

MOST MURDERS HAPPEN BY REGULAR EVERYDAY CITIZENS. Not gang violence. Stop pointing fingers. And yes, those people DO get their guns from Joe Shmoe.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Euphoria14 said:
theprof00 said:

LOL there are numerous trails. Manufacturers build in defects in designs to tell where guns came from. Serial numbers. Specific types of bullets, etc. All this info can help lead to the distributor.

MOST MURDERS HAPPEN BY REGULAR EVERYDAY CITIZENS. Not gang violence. Stop pointing fingers. And yes, those people DO get their guns from Joe Shmoe.

People die bro, get used to it.

Take guns away and that altercation that resulted in a gunshot will be replaced with a stab. How far will you take this fight before acknowledging that there are more important things to focus on?

I worry more about wondering why my fiance is a LPN and I work Aerospace and we struggle to afford a fucking 2-bedroom apartment while paying for insurance, gas and other living expenses.

Much more important (As terrible as it may sound) than the vast minority that get hit with a bullet.

Currently playing:

badgenome said:
theprof00 said:

But if you sold someone a gun, that's different, isn't it?

Is it? I mean, there are lots of legitimate reasons for a person to own a gun. What should a gun shop's liability be when one of their customers - particularly one who has passed a background check and everything - goes and does something awful with the gun they bought?

But as for gun control on the whole, it just seems to be very that the onus always seems to be put on the pro-gun side. I'm not terribly interested in guns myself and haven't owned one in a long time, but gun control just doesn't seem to work very well. Look at places like Chicago and D.C. that have had super stringent laws (which were later ruled unconstitutional) and still have massive amounts of gun crime. It seems horribly immoral to disarm law-abiding people in dangerous neighborhoods while being completely impotent when it comes to controlling the bad element there. I'd say it's downright perverse to expect someone like Wayne LaPierre to answer for the Newton shootings when the anti-gun crowd skates on having to answer for the abysmal failures of gun control in other places.

It's true that local gun control isn't really workable because of areas that do allow guns. Guns in Chicago have always come from places where guns are legal, but isn't that going to happen with a federal ban as well? The feds don't seem to have any luck stopping the drugs they've banned from coming over, nor do they seem very serious about controlling the border in general, so the dynamic would seem to be exactly the same: the law only affects the kind of person who is already inclined to abide by it and thus isn't much of a threat, while people who don't give a fig about the law continue doing whatever they want.

1st paragraph- there's obviously nothing that can be done. I'm not arguing that.

2nd paragraph- well, DC and Chicago is largely due to gang-violence, but the question is, where are these people getting the guns from? It's obviously not from stores.

3rd paragraph- but when have you ever encountered a person saying "if only I hadn't had to wait those three days, I could've protected my family"? How much of a nuisance to the everyday person does it really create?

Euphoria14 said:
theprof00 said:
Euphoria14 said:
theprof00 said:

People die bro, get used to it.

Take guns away and that altercation that resulted in a gunshot will be replaced with a stab. How far will you take this fight before acknowledging that there are more important things to focus on?

Please, it's obvious to me you've never lived in a poor inner city area with that bullshit "people die bro get used to it". Sadly, I already know that. I've seen people shot, stabbed, killed, dozens of times over. I've seen people beaten to death with fists. I KNOW it's a fact of life, but it doesn't appear you do...or at least you don't really understand it.

And HuuuuuHHHHH at your conclusion. Wow, I never said that. There are obviously more important things to worry about. But don't come in here to argue if you're just gunna say "it just doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things anyway".

I've been jumped. In situations where I was shown a gun, I gave up everything I had. A knife, I ran. Kind of a big difference.

Euphoria14 said:

I worry more about wondering why my fiance is a LPN and I work Aerospace and we struggle to afford a fucking 2-bedroom apartment while paying for insurance, gas and other living expenses.

Much more important (As terrible as it may sound) than the vast minority that get hit with a bullet.

Ummm, what's to worry about? Obviously there is some financial burden you're not mentioning.

I live in Boston, in a rather expensive area, and I can afford everything I need, and I work at a bar, and my gf works as a manager of a comic book store.

Oh, and we have a one bedroom, a pool, parking, heat and elec included.

EDIT: Oh, and she spends a ridiculous amount on clothes. I probably pay double your rent.

theprof00 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Ummm, what's to worry about? Obviously there is some financial burden you're not mentioning.

I live in Boston, in a rather expensive area, and I can afford everything I need, and I work at a bar, and my gf works as a manager of a comic book store.

Oh, and we have a one bedroom, a pool, parking, heat and elec included.

EDIT: Oh, and she spends a ridiculous amount on clothes. I probably pay double your rent.

Okay then hot shot, what do you pay?

Currently playing: