By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Universal Background Checks

snyps said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
JoeTheBro said:
Good. To answer your question it's really about second hand sales. If your friend wants to sell you a gun, you should just be able to sell it without being forced to pay for a background check.

This guy gets it.

should you be allowed to resell your prescription oxycodone to whoever as well?

The governement has no right to regulate my property. Guns are no more dangerous than any other tools.

No law can stop criminals from committing crimes. Oxycodone and all "controlled" substances are sold on the black market regardless of the many laws against it. Bombs are illegal and that didn't stop the Boston bombing.

I shouldn't need a FFL to sell my property toa friend or give it as a gift.

My only problem is I don't understand this mindset. We should just remove all laws?? It would be utter chaos in the streets.

link!

The only thing that keeps people from doing crimes is doing time when they get caught. We remove the laws and everyone will do things they wouldn't have even thought of doing before.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Tigerlure said:

This typic of logic confuses me. Because background checks won't stop all crimes, we shouldn't even try?

I do find it a silly thing to do, honestly. There was going to be an exemption for transfers of firearms among family members, anyway, and according to surveys of people convicted of gun crimes the most common source for weapons used in crimes is... families and friends. It's pretty similar to how the proposed assault weapons ban targets a lot of scary-looking weapons based on completely arbitrary features that don't at all affect the lethality of the weapon in question, and these weapons are used very, very infrequently in shootings, while handguns - which kill many more people every year - are pretty much left alone.

I think prohibition is pretty much always bullshit from the start since it really only affects people who actually care about the law. But your argument does seem to be a popular one, that if it can even save one life then it's worth it to try. I just don't think that's a very sound basis for any type of legislation. "Well, we're going to restrict your behavior because it might help, although there is zero evidence that it will."

Besides, that kind of hypothetical is a total wash because, of course, you can't prove that the very same legislation wouldn't cause people to be murdered because they couldn't legally obtain the weapon that might have saved their lives. Is the one life worth less than the other?

Well, what would be a better solution?

How about hold the people who supply the gun as accomplices?

theprof00 said:

The only thing that keeps people from doing crimes is doing time when they get caught. We remove the laws and everyone will do things they wouldn't have even thought of doing before.

By all means, do punish people for harming others. For grievous stuff like rape or murder, lock them up and throw away the key. But victimless crimes have no business being crimes.

I mean, we all commit on average three felonies a day, right? Is that maybe the sign of a ridiculously overlegislated society? Or is that just the price we have to pay to keep people from really going crazy?

theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
JoeTheBro said:
Good. To answer your question it's really about second hand sales. If your friend wants to sell you a gun, you should just be able to sell it without being forced to pay for a background check.

This guy gets it.

should you be allowed to resell your prescription oxycodone to whoever as well?

The governement has no right to regulate my property. Guns are no more dangerous than any other tools.

No law can stop criminals from committing crimes. Oxycodone and all "controlled" substances are sold on the black market regardless of the many laws against it. Bombs are illegal and that didn't stop the Boston bombing.

I shouldn't need a FFL to sell my property toa friend or give it as a gift.

So then what's your beef. If the laws can't stop crimes, then do what you want lol.

My only problem is I don't understand this mindset. We should just remove all laws?? It would be utter chaos in the streets.

Bombs being illegal doesn't inherently prevent bombings. Catching the culprit and prosecuting them to the full extent of the law is what makes people hesitate from doing the same thing.

Using guns to harm others IS ILLEGAL RIGHT NOW! So if someone uses a gun to inflict harm thye can be prosecuted for it "to the full extent of the law".

Criminals don't hesitate when breaking the law. Law abiding citesens don't hesitate either because they don't break the law.

Universal background checks gets in the way of my property rights and does nothing to stop criminals from committing crimes.

badgenome said:
theprof00 said:

By all means, do punish people for harming others. For grievous stuff like rape or murder, lock them up and throw away the key. But victimless crimes have no business being crimes.

I mean, we all commit on average three felonies a day, right? Is that maybe the sign of a ridiculously overlegislated society? Or is that just the price we have to pay to keep people from really going crazy?

Like, I understand that there shouldn't be a law against reselling drugs, and while there is one, it doesn't prevent people, including the black market from doing so, so I don't see the argument with that one. You can still do it. What's important is that if you give someone an oxy and they go out and hit someone with a car and kill them, you're also responsible. I think that's fair. I would never give anyone a gun that I owned, nor give anyone drugs without staying under my direct supervision... but there are people that do. And there are people that take advantage of others, and keep them addicted and under their control. I think that's wrong too. Should they be allowed to resell? Yeah sure, but there's more than one side of the story.

I should be able to resell something that I own. I agree. But I should also be held liable for something that is done by the person who bought it. Including someone dying because of drugs I sold, or shot by a gun I sold, etc.

I think what I'm trying to say here is that the law doesn't stop people from doing things, but it sure makes people think first before they sell something to someone who might get in trouble with it.

Around the Network
Tigerlure said:
JoeTheBro said:

Isn't that a small cost to pay for the safety of others? I know I'd want to make sure I'm not selling a gun to a mentally unstable person, and hopefully a background check would prevent that.

What safety? Last I checked bombs were illegal.

Do I really need to explain what went down a couple days ago?

Limiting what types of guns people can get, or what criteria you must fit in order to get it will change nothing.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

kain_kusanagi said:

Using guns to harm others IS ILLEGAL RIGHT NOW! So if someone uses a gun to inflict harm thye can be prosecuted for it "to the full extent of the law".

Criminals don't hesitate when breaking the law. Law abiding citesens don't hesitate either because they don't break the law.

Universal background checks gets in the way of my property rights and does nothing to stop criminals from committing crimes.

Universal background checks creates a paper trail that eventually leads a crime back to the source.

I don't see what the problem is.

You want to resell a gun, then do so. They just need a background check, as they would need to do with any other gun purchase.

theprof00 said:

Like, I understand that there shouldn't be a law against reselling drugs, and while there is one, it doesn't prevent people, including the black market from doing so, so I don't see the argument with that one. You can still do it. What's important is that if you give someone an oxy and they go out and hit someone with a car and kill them, you're also responsible. I think that's fair. I would never give anyone a gun that I owned, nor give anyone drugs without staying under my direct supervision... but there are people that do. And there are people that take advantage of others, and keep them addicted and under their control. I think that's wrong too. Should they be allowed to resell? Yeah sure, but there's more than one side of the story.

I should be able to resell something that I own. I agree. But I should also be held liable for something that is done by the person who bought it. Including someone dying because of drugs I sold, or shot by a gun I sold, etc.

I think what I'm trying to say here is that the law doesn't stop people from doing things, but it sure makes people think first before they sell something to someone who might get in trouble with it.

The extent to which someone should be held responsible for another's actions really ought to depend on intent. If I provide you with a tool knowing you intend to use it as a murder weapon, sure, that's rather different than if I sell you a hammer and you go beat somebody to death with it. On the other hand, I don't really feel entirely cool with the idea that a bar is responsible for a person who drank there getting in a car and drunkenly running someone over.

Euphoria14 said:
Tigerlure said:
JoeTheBro said:

Isn't that a small cost to pay for the safety of others? I know I'd want to make sure I'm not selling a gun to a mentally unstable person, and hopefully a background check would prevent that.

What safety? Last I checked bombs were illegal.

Do I really need to explain what went down a couple days ago?

Limiting what types of guns people can get, or what criteria you must fit in order to get it will change nothing.

What kind of argument is that?

Where were guns Monday when we needed them?

Tigerlure said:
badgenome said:
Gun control is a total distraction, anyway. After this week's events no one can deny that what's truly needed is pressure cooker control.

This typic of logic confuses me. Because background checks won't stop all crimes, we shouldn't even try?

I think it was more of a typical bit of badgenome humour to be honest. ;)