By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March 2013 NPD Thread! - 360:261k, 3DS:230k, PS3:212k, Wii:91k, DS:86k, WiiU:67k, PSV: 33k

Farsala said:
Carl2291 said:
Farsala said:

No, Gears is clearly a bigger franchise then God of War. What you were arguing before was which legs was better.

"Look at the Gears 2 example. Did you look at it before? Look at it now."

Gears of War 2 sold 2.4 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year, it sold 516000 units. The Year after, it sold 275000 units. In the 2 Years after release, it had sold over 790000 units. Fun fact - Gears of War 2's 3rd Year was higher than the 2nd Year, coming in at 392000 units (which is also higher than God of War 3's 2nd Year).

This bit is key -

Fun fact - Gears of War 2's 3rd Year was higher than the 2nd Year, coming in at 392000 units (which is also higher than God of War 3's 2nd Year).

Is that not Gears 4th year? according to Vgcharts Gears 3rd year is 275000 the same as God of war 3rd year.

4th Year overall yeah. I said 3rd Year because I was talking about Years after release. 

Maybe I should have worded that better...

Around the Network

The Wii U is probably about 2 months from selling through it's shipment from the end of 2012 (assuming 90% of the Americas shipment went to the US).  In Japan, sell through at the end of the quarter is about 20k above shipments at the end of December, and the situation in Europe is likely worse than both.  They have basically no chance of meeting the 940k they need to reach their forecast.  The only possibility is if they somehow convinced retailers to purchase tons of the new bundles they've put out.  There is also a good chance they won't meet their initial forecast of 5.5 million until the quarter ending December 2013.

Kind of funny that there were people claiming shortages last year when there were probably systems on store shelves then that will still be there half a year after launch.

Carl2291 said:
Farsala said:
Carl2291 said:
Farsala said:

No, Gears is clearly a bigger franchise then God of War. What you were arguing before was which legs was better.

"Look at the Gears 2 example. Did you look at it before? Look at it now."

Gears of War 2 sold 2.4 Million units in its opening Year. The following Year, it sold 516000 units. The Year after, it sold 275000 units. In the 2 Years after release, it had sold over 790000 units. Fun fact - Gears of War 2's 3rd Year was higher than the 2nd Year, coming in at 392000 units (which is also higher than God of War 3's 2nd Year).

This bit is key -

Fun fact - Gears of War 2's 3rd Year was higher than the 2nd Year, coming in at 392000 units (which is also higher than God of War 3's 2nd Year).

Is that not Gears 4th year? according to Vgcharts Gears 3rd year is 275000 the same as God of war 3rd year.

4th Year overall yeah. I said 3rd Year because I was talking about Years after release. 

Maybe I should have worded that better...

In that case I think the data is inconclusive. As Gears 4th year was better then gears 3rd. So too could God of war do the same. Right now it is 270k vs 150k. God of war has a disadvantage though because of the gen ending.

WiiU is on the verge of being done.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Yakuzaice said:

The Wii U is probably about 2 months from selling through it's shipment from the end of 2012 (assuming 90% of the Americas shipment went to the US).  In Japan, sell through at the end of the quarter is about 20k above shipments at the end of December, and the situation in Europe is likely worse than both.  They have basically no chance of meeting the 940k they need to reach their forecast.  The only possibility is if they somehow convinced retailers to purchase tons of the new bundles they've put out.  There is also a good chance they won't meet their initial forecast of 5.5 million until the quarter ending December 2013.

Kind of funny that there were people claiming shortages last year when there were probably systems on store shelves then that will still be there half a year after launch.

I have seen you post rarely recently so I don't know if you just lurk alot more now but do you know there are people out there that think the Wii U can sell 6mil before Nov? There are multiple people too. That would mean 112k a week starting right now. They will probably be a good 2 mil away

Around the Network

Really disappointed with Nintendo's effort on Wii U, and how they're actually foolish/stubborn enough to ditch the expanded audience in favor of the hardcore. Appealing to the hardcore is NEVER a smart business move, especially when you're Nintendo.

Nintendo thought they could disguise a Gamecube 2 as a Wii and dupe people into buying it. It didn't work. The mass market audience is smarter than that. Nintendo just has to sleep in the bed they made and ride it out for a few more years, and start fresh with a brand new console in 2016. They need to return to the philosophies and the style of games that made the Wii so successful.

Farsala said:

In that case I think the data is inconclusive. As Gears 4th year was better then gears 3rd. So too could God of war do the same. Right now it is 270k vs 150k. God of war has a disadvantage though because of the gen ending.

Gears 2's 4th Year was better than God of War 3's 3rd Year. Gears of War had better legs. Gears of War 2 had better legs. We cant yet judge Gears of War 3 as it hasnt been out long enough.

The numbers we have available currently show that Gears of War is...

a) A bigger seller overall
and
b) Selling more units over a longer period of time

Metallicube said:

Really disappointed with Nintendo's effort on Wii U, and how they're actually foolish/stubborn enough to ditch the expanded audience in favor of the hardcore. Appealing to the hardcore is NEVER a smart business move, especially when you're Nintendo.

Nintendo thought they could disguise a Gamecube 2 as a Wii and dupe people into buying it. It didn't work. The mass market audience is smarter than that. Nintendo just has to sleep in the bed they made and ride it out for a few more years, and start fresh with a brand new console in 2016. They need to return to the philosophies and the style of games that made the Wii so successful.

2016? Terrible idea. Developers will stay with Sony and MS and will not want to start on a base with 0 users. The fans will want a Ps4 or 720 and will not want to buy a Nintendo console. Ps4 and 720 released and Sony and MS will not want to kill their product so fast.

Nintendo is stuck with the Wii U till at least 2017 and probably longer.

Metallicube said:

It would've worked, the problem is Nintendo just doesn't want to commit one way or another. They wanted a casual machine, that's kinda-sorta for hardcores too, and that indecision and lack of vision let to a console that basically doesn't appeal to either audience.

Something along the lines of a "New Nintendo (Entertainment System)" with a 850 GFLOP 28nm GPU from AMD and a solid quad core CPU + 4GB of affordable DDR3 RAM and a Western game on the scale of Halo/Metroid Prime/Zelda to launch with along with New Super Mario World (drop the "Bros", leave that for the DS games) could've done OK IMO.