By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can Galaxy S4 Beat the IPhone or just another "Failed" Samsung Attempt ?

hmm, I think the S4 will outsell the Iphone 5 this quarter and possibly the next quarter, but it would very interesting to see what happens when Apple announces their next phones. Current rumors suggest Apple is working on the Iphone 5S and a low cost Iphone 6. The low cost phone could affect sales of the Iphone 5S so the S4 could win against the Iphone 5S but probably not against the Iphone 6. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
Scoobes said:

This. Samsung don't need a single phone to outsell the iPhone as they have models for a range of different market segments.

Until iPhone goes to different market segments too... Apple is trying to release a new and cheaper sub $200 iPhone.

Not sure how well that would work out. The whole point of the iPhone and iPad is that they're the Ferrari of the phone/tablet world. It'd be like Ferrari bringing out a car to compete with the Golf.

Scoobes said:

Not sure how well that would work out. The whole point of the iPhone and iPad is that they're the Ferrari of the phone/tablet world. It'd be like Ferrari bringing out a car to compete with the Golf.

Here in Brazil most people buy Android phone because the iPhone is crazy expensive... maybe it is just for emergent markets like here but a sub-$200 iPhone will sell like water in the desert.

ethomaz said:
Scoobes said:

Here in Brazil most people buy Android phone because the iPhone is crazy expensive... maybe it is just for emergent markets like here but a sub-$200 iPhone will sell like water in the desert.

How are you so sure the cheaper Iphone will sell so much? I mean, if people these days want a lower costing Apple phone couldn't they just buy an Iphone 4 or 4S? I think you can get those for $0 in the states and then you pay monthly. 

They won't and that's a good thing.

We don't want or need another rip off overpriced phone player, which is exactly what would happen if Samsung (or any other company) if they were given the chance.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:

How are you so sure the cheaper Iphone will sell so much? I mean, if people these days want a lower costing Apple phone couldn't they just buy an Iphone 4 or 4S? I think you can get those for $0 in the states and then you pay monthly. 

The 4S costs over $400 here... the 5 over $1000.

I found a contract deal for 4S last weekend... the plan is expensive and you buy the 4S per $150.... nobody like these contract deals here in Brazil... so a cheaper iPhone will destroy.

ethomaz said:
MoHasanie said:

The 4S costs over $400 here... the 5 over $1000.

I found a contract deal for 4S last weekend... the plan is expensive and you buy the 4S per $150.... nobody like these contract deals here in Brazil... so a cheaper iPhone will destroy.

Wow, that's quite expensive for an old phone! I guess then, the cheaper Iphone will be huge, especially cause Apple is targetting emerging markets like China, and probably Brazil and India too. The question is, how cheap can they make the low cost Iphone?? 

Anyway it is Apple that thinks a cheaper iPhone is needed.

Apple to launch 'low-end iPhone' without Retina in 2013 - "The low-end iPhone will have the same 4-inch form factor as the iPhone 5, but will have a plastic casing and no Retina display," he said. "With a lower price point, AAPL will be able to target a growing and important part of the smartphone market (sub-$400 price band)."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/22/rumor-apple-to-launch-cheaper-iphone-with-plastic-casing-non-retina-display-this-summer

MoHasanie said:

Wow, that's quite expensive for an old phone! I guess then, the cheaper Iphone will be huge, especially cause Apple is targetting emerging markets like China, and probably Brazil and India too. The question is, how cheap can they make the low cost Iphone?? 

The Brazilian market is kind of odd... the most sellers cellphones are the Dual-chips ones because the people uses two carriers to make calls to the friends to not pay the call (you pay little or nothing if you call to the same carrier phone... so if you have two chips you can make calls to two different carriers phones).

Eg. The Samsumg Galasy Duos is a lot common here... more than the Galaxy S3.

I think it's the design of Galaxy line of phones the culprit here. They don't look as stylish and as desirable as the iPhones do. Rounded, soft edges contribute to that, as well as the over reliance on plastic.