By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why's The 3DS Selling So Poorly In North America?

Roar_Of_War said:
Soundwave said:
the2real4mafol said:
It's not that poor, given the economy. People just can't get as much shit as they used too.

The economy is starting to improve though.

Februrary NPD (2010) - In recession

Nintendo DS - 650k

Feburary NPD (2013)

Nintendo Family (3DS + Wii U + Wii + DS combined) - 455k

3DS approximately - 189k apparently

That's a pretty stunning stat.

The economy is still terrible compared to what it was in 2006. Don't deny it's still a damn valid point. Not to mention that we can't expect people to still spend money the way they used to coming out of an econmy crisis, even if it has improved a little.

tablets and smart phones dont seem to be affected

Around the Network
VGKing said:
RazorDragon said:
Mobile gaming isn't the problem. I believe it's mostly a matter of lack of advertising.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3ds+ad&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Plenty of 3DS ads out there. Nintendo gets celebrities to advertise the 3DS. They even got One Direction at one point. You can't say that people don't know it exists....people know. They just don't want it.

One direction? Oh no...Ugh

How do you know that they don't want it? Do you spy them?

oniyide said:
Roar_Of_War said:
Soundwave said:
the2real4mafol said:
It's not that poor, given the economy. People just can't get as much shit as they used too.

The economy is starting to improve though.

Februrary NPD (2010) - In recession

Nintendo DS - 650k

Feburary NPD (2013)

Nintendo Family (3DS + Wii U + Wii + DS combined) - 455k

3DS approximately - 189k apparently

That's a pretty stunning stat.

The economy is still terrible compared to what it was in 2006. Don't deny it's still a damn valid point. Not to mention that we can't expect people to still spend money the way they used to coming out of an econmy crisis, even if it has improved a little.

tablets and smart phones dont seem to be affected

How surprising that the multi-purpose devices don't take much of a hit in a bad economy, while entertainment meduims do!

Because Animal Crossing and Pokemon haven't been released yet. I bet you won't be able to ask this question later this year.

Lately or maybe always, Nintendo has shifted most of their consoles during the holiday season. So when it is doing so bad now it can usually be offset by large numbers during the holiday season. Pokemon should really help it for years too.

Around the Network

Ds and PS2 sales will never happer again. So I can say 3DS is doing really well

Click HERE and be happy 

sethnintendo said:

Because Animal Crossing and Pokemon haven't been released yet. I bet you won't be able to ask this question later this year.

Interesting thing is Pokemon on the DS caused almost no hardware spike. It actually had a reduction in hardware sales the month Pokemon came out (go figure):

March 2007 NPD -

Nintendo DS - 508k

April 2007 NPD (release of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl)

Nintendo DS - 471k

Probably just more statistical noise than anything, but I'd also venture a guess that a lot of Pokemon fans are the same fans that are into Mario, Zelda, and other Nintendo IP (makes sense). They don't just sit there waiting years and years for Pokemon proper to come out.

Of course the 3DS could only dream of putting up 400k+ in a month these days in any month outside of the holidays.

Soundwave said:
sethnintendo said:

Interesting thing is Pokemon on the DS caused almost no hardware spike. It actually had a reduction in hardware sales the month Pokemon came out (go figure):

March 2007 NPD -

Nintendo DS - 508k

Nintendo DS - 471k

Probably just more statistical noise than anything, but I'd also venture a guess that a lot of Pokemon fans are the same fans that are into Mario, Zelda, and other Nintendo IP (makes sense). They don't just sit there waiting years and years for Pokemon proper to come out.

Of course the 3DS could only dream of putting up 400k+ in a month these days in any month outside of the holidays.

Yea, well 3DS probably will never be as dominate in sales as the DS.  However, the 3DS should enjoy a pretty damn good year.  Sales might not explode till holiday season but it has a decent lineup during the spring and summer months to keep the sales going.  I'd be amazed if 3DS ends down YOY in North America. 

sethnintendo said:
Soundwave said:
sethnintendo said:

March 2007 NPD -

Nintendo DS - 508k

Nintendo DS - 471k

Yea, well 3DS probably will never be as dominate in sales as the DS.  However, the 3DS should enjoy a pretty damn good year.  Sales might not explode till holiday season but it has a decent lineup during the spring and summer months to keep the sales going.  I'd be amazed if 3DS ends down YOY in North America. 

I think it will stay about the same. I don't think Nintendo will release a new 3DS hardware revision this year like the XL last year.

Soundwave said:
sethnintendo said:

March 2007 NPD -

Nintendo DS - 508k

Nintendo DS - 471k

Idk if this makes much sense but maybe it didnt give a big boost because DS sales were already consistantly huge, u can only go so high. On 3DS sales arent that high so a game like Pokemon could very well give it a significant boost

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.