By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720 will Decide if WiiU RAM is enough.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
Just to clarify, rumors state that 720 will have 4 gig for games and 4 gig for "other stuff", not just the OS. There is a lot of speculation that 720 will be doing lots of things beyond games. The OS could use up 2 gig, while skype, your cable feed and DVR, your always on connection and other features could be using up system memory while 4 gig is blocked off for games. This is all speculation on rumor, of course.

The point is, if games are designed to run on 4 gig of memory, it's not a crazy stretch to say they can run on 1 gig or so. Whether 3rd parties support Nintendo is a whole other matter.

If thats the case then Sony will really be the more favored console next gen with gamers and third parties alike.

Why?

Around the Network

Wiiu has 1GB for games...it's already too small..

MS won't have 4GB for OS lol and you have to also consider the type of RAM

Don't keep any hopes up...the RAM amount is not sufficient. Not sure what Nintendo was thinking

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

S.T.A.G.E. said:

He who controls the third parties controls the true mass of the market. 160+ consoles between the PS3 and 360 by the end of this year. Microsoft will cut the cost of the 360 even more and hinder the WIi U even more. As little as that should mean in America the doors will get knocked down at retail stores because the 360 has only dropped by $100 in price since the 360 launched. Thats crazy.

That is crazy, and Kudos to microsoft on that, really. I guess we have a lot to learn in terms of short term versus long term. However on the whole I get the sense that Nintendo is looking to make money constantly, maybe you could be right that they run the risk of offering outdated HW in order to achieve that. But really, was the GB outdated 11 years after it released? In other words with great games the HW shouldn't be that important a factor.

I find that a lot of this horsepower importance we give takes away from what always made games great, and I'm not exactly sure why the market is so adamant about that. Also, I'm not sure whether the less lucrative direction (MSony's) really is called for. There's push in that direction, but why is it so pressing to make such powerful consoles. Is it really needed or is it just a matter of MSony trying to make the true king (Nintendo) irrelevant by boxing them out. Luckily, it won't work but that does sound like their strat this far. An agressive strat is needed in this industry in order to win, but it also has to be a winning strat.

I personally don't believe in it, and I believe Nintendo will prevail in the end with or without 3rd parties. And I have history to back me up (GB, NES, DS, WII)

I'd be more worried about Wii U's other capabilities which don't seem very strong. Also, anything that's not linear is going to be trouble. And there's an even bigger problem: publishers and developers don't seem to be interested in the Wii U and its weak hardware makes it even less appealing because porting games to the Wii U is going to be lots of extra work.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Just to clarify, rumors state that 720 will have 4 gig for games and 4 gig for "other stuff", not just the OS. There is a lot of speculation that 720 will be doing lots of things beyond games. The OS could use up 2 gig, while skype, your cable feed and DVR, your always on connection and other features could be using up system memory while 4 gig is blocked off for games. This is all speculation on rumor, of course.

The point is, if games are designed to run on 4 gig of memory, it's not a crazy stretch to say they can run on 1 gig or so. Whether 3rd parties support Nintendo is a whole other matter.

I just have to ask..where did you even hear about this 4GB rumor?

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JakDaSnack said:
So if Tomb Raider needed 5 million to make even, can you imagine how much a game would cost to make that actually used 7 gb's of ram? It would take hundreds of artists/developers, and likely any of the big company's that actually try to make those games would likely take massive losses because of it.

The wiiU may end up getting 3rd party support simply because 3rd party publishers need the extra money to make even.

Nah...they wont gimp their art direction because of Nintendo. Japanese devs probably will but western ones know better if they want optimal games. Nintendo blew their shot to win back the hardcore, by saying they were not competing with Sony and Microsoft and with each waking day that more specs are shown it shows how far out of the game Nintendo really is. Competition will get really fierce and companies will or they wont make back their money. The developmental budgets will be similar for the first couple of years and depending on the game will increase. Nintendo isn't exactly neccessary if they dont want themselves to be and they've proven that. Sucks for the loyal fans they've had that wanted a console from them that is as functional as all the others.

They don't have to gimp the art direction to put in on a nintendo console.  They Can either

A) release the games for the 720/ps4 then release it later on the wiiU

B)make the game for the 720/ps4 and then take extra time to scale down the game on the wiiU(usually just a few months), and release it at the same time.

But you are missing the point, it's not a matter of winning back the hardcore, or competing with Sony and microsoft, it's a simple matter of making a profit.  And if they can make even, or a profit by making the game on the wiiU, then they absolutely will.

Something...Something...Games...Something

kitler53 said:
also, for all the talk about RAM...

...why are we forgetting this comparison: 0.35 TFlops vs. 1.2 TFlops (rumored) vs. 1.84 TFlops.

5.25x.

those 0.35 tfolps you posted about a wii u are not only a rumor, it's a ridiculous rumor. even the ps3 has 0.4 tflops. wii u should probably be like 0.7 or 0.8. the fact is we just don't know the number.

Zkuq said:
I'd be more worried about Wii U's other capabilities which don't seem very strong. Also, anything that's not linear is going to be trouble. And there's an even bigger problem: publishers and developers don't seem to be interested in the Wii U and its weak hardware makes it even less appealing because porting games to the Wii U is going to be lots of extra work.

devs didn't seem to mind porting games to ps3, wich was a complete pain in the ass. the games will be on wii u because it won't be a problem to port and devs need the money.

Zero999 said:
Zkuq said:

devs didn't seem to mind porting games to ps3, wich was a complete pain in the ass. the games will be on wii u because it won't be a problem to port and devs need the money.

There's a difference: the PS3 actually had the power, even if accessing it was difficult. The difficulty of accessing that power is also the reason many games' PS3 version was inferior. And let me ask you a question: What makes you think devs are going to be porting PS4/Nextbox games to the Wii U when it's going to take huge amounts of work when they're not porting their PS3/X360 games to the Wii U, a more powerful system?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Of course it has relevance to what you're saying and at this point no those games don't really matter on a Nintendo console. Sony put Nintendo in the place that Nintendo put Sega in which is a first party centric console. Nintendo early mid 90s era woud've had great progress with first, second and third party.

Wii-like success is great for first party but a shallow cash grab unless all games were casualized and had Just Dance like sales. Because Nintendo stopped being a gamer console it told the market that only casualized first and third party games and Nintendo core first party could survive because without those gimmicky games it doesnt commit the consumer base to loyalty. They will buy a handful of games and thats it. 

So it wouldn't matter, which means we agree.

However, if Nintendo had 3rd party dominance, and Sony was able to take it away, what's really stopping them from getting it back? I believe Nintendo can't anyways because it would have to use business practices which are self-destructive, such as loss-leading and bending to unreasonable requirements by 3rd parties that have a little too much pull (Epic).

Until the non-Nintendo market implodes, Nintendo just needs to keep doing its own thing.

Actually Nintendo didn't allow third parties room to breathe and be themselves and thats how they ran the NES/SNES era. When Sony arrived they did what Sega couldnt and gave third parties and alternative that will make their own great games and allow third parties to fly. This is why they flocked to Sony for the format perks. Since then its been a beautiful relationship, hands down Sony and Microsoft deal with third party in a fair manner compared to Nintendo. Nintendo expects third parties to drop their aspirations to suit their weak console specs. That wont fly if the market is growing and has money to spend. This new gen will start off a little slower than normal but third parties now have a backbone because of companies like Sony and Microsoft.

If these third parties are so damn creative and talented, shouldn't they be able to create great games regardless of the technological limitations?

I don't get why so many people here act like it's always the third parties that are the angels here and can do no wrong. If anything, the third parties are the reasons why the industry is currently bleeding money. Costs to create games are skyrocketting and countless companies are going bankrupt, all so these seemingly talented developers can have unlimited horsepower to flaunt their "creativity."

Nintendo knew how to handle third parties. Sony and MS do not. They give them carte blanche to do what ever they want and run free on their platforms, which is a large part of the reason the industry is in massive decline. Third party developers generally don't seem to have a business mind. All they care about is creating what THEY want, even at the expense of the downfall of the industry. That is currently what is happening, sadly.