By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720 will Decide if WiiU RAM is enough.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Don't care, as i said its impressive for consoles because the tech demos they showed at Sonys unveiling have not been at our reach all gen. Cannot wait for the games and to see what the 720 has to offer. As long as Rains at Epic is happy with it so am I have I know some well made games are going to be made. PC gaming is at a halt because of console gaming with major releases and third party need consoles to step it up because they need their sales.

@bold. That is pure BS. This gen, especially end of gen stuff like TLoU, Beyond, TLG, GoW: Judgement all can compete with that Killzone demo.

It all depends on really how much you're asking for. PC gaming isn't at a halt, everything they develop on PC is downscalable to fit current gen systems. Of course it would be better if the work they put on effects is seen, but at the end of the day the differences are not deal-breakers (losing a sale).

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Don't care, as i said its impressive for consoles because the tech demos they showed at Sonys unveiling have not been at our reach all gen. Cannot wait for the games and to see what the 720 has to offer. As long as Rains at Epic is happy with it so am I have I know some well made games are going to be made. PC gaming is at a halt because of console gaming with major releases and third party need consoles to step it up because they need their sales.

@bold. That is pure BS. This gen, especially end of gen stuff like TLoU, Beyond, TLG, GoW: Judgement all can compete with that Killzone demo.

It all depends on really how much you're asking for. PC gaming isn't at a halt, everything they develop on PC is downscalable to fit current gen systems. Of course it would be better if the work they put on effects is seen, but at the end of the day the differences are not deal-breakers (losing a sale).

Actually no they cant. Those in-engine demos were the equivalent of what would've been pre-rendered cinematics in the current gen.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actually no they cant. Those in-engine demos were the equivalent of what would've been pre-rendered cinematics in the current gen.

You could easily say the same about TLoU and Beyond. It all depends on how closely you're looking at it and what knowledge of Computer Graphics you have to spot the differences.

Here's an example of what I was talking about with downscaling. Here's a thread by CGI, metro last light PC requirements. The game will be out for PS360U. So, what happened there?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158824&page=1

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You could easily say the same about TLoU and Beyond. It all depends on how closely you're looking at it and what knowledge of Computer Graphics you have to spot the differences.

Here's an example of what I was talking about with downscaling. Here's a thread by CGI, metro last light PC requirements. The game will be out for PS360U. So, what happened there?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158824&page=1

The last of us and beyond will be current gen tech at its best being squeezed to the last drop from the PS3's architecture. Thats the best this gen is every going to get. Naughty Dog even put Uncharteds development to a hault because they said the next game will need next gen power. We could've had an Uncharted by now. Beyonds developers even showed the jump in graphics and power to emoting that the PS4 will have from the PS3. Keep arguing this.

As for PC gaming being put to halt because of console games, yes they are. The budget and risk they take on these games are aimed at console gamers return, despite the fact that the PC has the better version.

happydolphin said:

Who owns a 4k TV, and who will? Again, diminishing returns. Of course the retina display on the macbook looks great, and it is tantalizing, but it isn't something that I would pay for. It's eye candy, that's all.

When it comes to 1080p versus 720p, there is a difference but it isn't going to ruin the experience unless you're seeking that quality. And most people who buy games buy games for the games, and sometimes the eye candy but not something that would make you go "Damn, I wish I had this or that console it would look so much nicer". With COD Wii, yes it does feel like that. But now with the differences you're talking about "SVOGI" I don't even think I know what that is nor would I probably notice it.

It all boils down to how high expectations are. Also, were it not for subsidizing, this whole loss-leading approach would go nowhere because it would required low success early on (like for the PS3). Otherwise they would just lose too much money.

Also if people care this much about graphics, why not just become a high-end PC gamer? That's what confuses me about all this, so many double-standards.

Ofcourse its eyecandy and to answer your question everybody will own a 4k TV at some point.

Dude I am not arguing your opinion. I don't see a problem with it, just your examples of diminishing returns are weak. One graph made by a random videophile and that polygon pic referencing no extra videodetail are no arguments.

As I said before polygoncount is really just one aspect of good Graphics. So diminishing returns there don't tell the whole story.

And the difference between the SVOGI  (Basically  Lighting) less Unreal 4 demo and the one wigh SVOGI is so huge you could see it on a 240p video. Unless you are blind you will see it. Its a new thing and gives games a certain  look we haven't seen before.  It would have been amazing.

Believe me you and everyone else will see it when the new gen runs full force games will just look different.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The last of us and beyond will be current gen tech at its best being squeezed to the last drop from the PS3's architecture. Thats the best this gen is every going to get. Naughty Dog even put Uncharteds development to a hault because they said the next game will need next gen power. We could've had an Uncharted by now. Beyonds developers even showed the jump in graphics and power to emoting that the PS4 will have from the PS3. Keep arguing this.

As for PC gaming being put to halt because of console games, yes they are. The budget and risk they take on these games are aimed at console gamers return, despite the fact that the PC has the better version.

@bold. I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing how that would require high-end consoles, since the PC games can be downscaled regardless.

@para1. I saw the presentation by David Cage. He will do very impressive stuff with the PS4. What I'm saying is that the stuff he's doing with the PS3 already fits the description you gave "current gen CGI". You don't read posts.

Netyaroze said:

Ofcourse its eyecandy and to answer your question everybody will own a 4k TV at some point.

Dude I am not arguing your opinion. I don't see a problem with it, just your examples of diminishing returns are weak. One graph made by a random videophile and that polygon pic referencing no extra videodetail are no arguments.

As I said before polygoncount is really just one aspect of good Graphics. So diminishing returns there don't tell the whole story.

And the difference between the SVOGI  (Basically  Lighting) less Unreal 4 demo and the one wigh SVOGI is so huge yoz could see it on a 240p Video. Unless you are blind you will see it. Its a new thing and gives games a certain  look we haven't seen before.  It would have been amazing.

Believe me you and everyone else will see it when the new gen runs full force games will just look different.

If you are right and it ends up making a significant shocking difference, then I will change my opinion. This far it's my opinion from what we saw at the playstation demo that the new stuff is nice to have, but not a deal-breaker like some here are trying to make it out to be (mostly out of extreme enthusiasm, which I don't condemn).

Ultimately I'm not sure if all these new features are just there to make it out of the box and much easier to program, or if it just is not possible atm. That's where I'm kind of lost.

Games this far are looking great to me, whether it's done via true simulation or by illusion, it's looking nice to me. TLoU, TLG, Beyond all that looks great. I'm not sure if these added features are there to make it all more easy to do in true simulation rather than in hard-coded illusion, or if it's actually not possible yet.

happydolphin said:
Mazty said:

Lololol. Go play a high spec game on the PC and tell me you can't see the difference. Go on. Tell me Crysis 3 or Metro 2033 on PC look exactly the same as on consoles or that no one noticed the improved graphics for the Quantic Dreams demo. Lol didn't think so ;)

The difference will be nice, but I am already impressed by Uncharted to be honest. Seriously the demands for high-end graphics is really taken out of proportion by the market.

However, the most I've seen of high-end PC grahpics are from the PC threads and such because I can't justify to pay for that. With the PC I have right now I'm enjoying games like Torchlight II and League of Legends, which look great in my eyes. 

If games looked like TLoU, TLG, Max Payne 3 from here on out I would have almost no problem with that. Until I see more I really am not convinced it is so important anymore (again diminishing returns).

Right so because the PS1 was better than the SNES, that means we didn't need the PS2 or 3....

The post-Sony conference hype shows that graphics are appealing to many gamers, somthing devs recognise is important to gaming as a whole. 

"In your eyes"....eyes that have never seen cutting edge graphics. Come back when you literally aren't, and I mean this again in the literal sense, so ignorant on the topic. The issue is you are trying to criticise something you have never, ever seen. Ignorance is not an argument. 

Mazty said:

Right so because the PS1 was better than the SNES, that means we didn't need the PS2 or 3....

The post-Sony conference hype shows that graphics are appealing to many gamers, somthing devs recognise is important to gaming as a whole. 

"In your eyes"....eyes that have never seen cutting edge graphics. Come back when you literally aren't, and I mean this again in the literal sense, so ignorant on the topic. The issue is you are trying to criticise something you have never, ever seen. Ignorance is not an argument. 

If I, having been a gamer since my young age, having been on gaming forums and exposed to threads that compare graphics, if I can't get it, do you expect the masses to?

If I'm ignorant on the matter, then I am just guessing that the market is not much more informed than I am, so sorry.

@bold. Again, diminishing returns. Back then the jump made a big difference. Not as much today, despite all you guys have said this far the differences between games like TLoU and the Killzone demo will only be truly visible to those who know the differences thanks to theory on 3D grahpics, or who are looking at excrutiating detail.

Let's not get ad hominem.

happydolphin said:

I really dislike that pic about the triangles. If they have 10 times the number available to them, they are not just going to use the same character model as before but smooth in the edges. They'll be able to, for example, give him more elaborate hair, more elaborate clothes, more minute facial details and so on. Very misleading.