By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - These journalists couldn't stop smiling at Nintendo's fate

VGKing said:

Exactly. There is the problem. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and 3rd party games suffer as a result. For those wondering why Wii U isn't going to get amaizng 3rd party support, theres your reason.

And I agree with you. The problem is that the topic wasn't 3rd party support, but end of gen sales. Since those who are more intelligent (you and I and a few others here) have realized that the importance of 3rd party support comes after proper 1st party support when it comes to Nintendo consoles, their stance is facepalm material at best, these are supposed to be professional analysts, but it appears we understand the market much better than they do. When it comes to Nintendo, you can't write them off with "It will get no AAA 3rd party support".

JoeTheBro said:
Well I'd laugh too in that situation. They were talking about 3rd parties and Wii U is not getting supported. They aren't dooming the console but instead getting a good chuckle out of Nintendo's empty promise.

Once again, the topic is 3rd party support if you equate 3rd party support with market domination. That shows just how bad they are at their jobs, and is largely due to the biased importance they give to 3rd party support, because they simply don't understand how Nintendo's business works within the industry. It isn't like Sony and MS, Nintendo is a AAA publisher that can support a system all by itself so that by the time 3rd party support trickles in, it's only there to fill in the gaps, so to speak.

And until you don't figure that out, you'll never realize whey they are so wrong, and why the joke's actually on them.

Around the Network
BluGamer23 said:

Nintendoland and NSMBU system sellers? HAHAHAHAHAHA .. you should have been on that panel! 

Of course they are system sellers, nobody said the contrary. Just not by themselves and with a 300$ console. Especially, NSMBU isn't the same thing as when NSMB came out at the release of the DS Lite, when many other mainstream-attracting games had released, and Nintendoland is not Wii Sports.

These truths all serve as lessons learnt for us and for Nintendo, only a few among us had seen this play out before it happened.

Be careful what you wish for; a Nintendo-less industry would stagnate, in both games and finance.

DietSoap said:

That's simply not true, Jeff very plainly stated those games aren't out now because they're not. He very clearly implied they are in fact important games.

And he is expecting that trend to continue, when the U has 2 years post launch to get back to point 0 where Wii had started (1 year after the 360 launched)? Get real.

Anyway here is the full transcript for those intrested. I put some humor in there just to show how retarded it all was:

Narrator intro:

Michael Pachter: Industry analyst

Andy McNamara: Gameinformer Editor in Chief

Jeff Gertsmann: GiantBomb Editor in chief

Discussing the next-generation console war

What strategies can we expect from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo as we prepare for new consoles this fall?

MP: I think that you're going to get a subsidies [for the 360]. So if you add broadband to get a next xbox, we'll give it to ya for a hundred bucks.

Narrator: Plus, Pachter explains his controversial south by southwest presentation and more. The bonus round starts right now.

Geof Keighley (GameTrailers): Hey welcome back to the bonus round from GDC this month in San Francisco with Michael, Andy and Jeff uh guys this is a console war as we like to say, a battle between 3 titans.

JG: Finally.

GK: Michael you were recently at South by Southwest, made your predictions about how you think the next battle is gonna be waged.

MP: Thank you for that tweet by the way (laughs).

GK: (laughs) Hey, you speak to the public, it's like.

MP: I had fourteen Neogaf threads going about 5 minutes later about "what an asshole" I am. Anyway thank you very much.

GK: Hey, I was there to promote you, that's my job Pachter, so. (laughs)

JG: Those ones are going all the time, are there new ones on top of that, what's up with that? (trolls)

MP: Could be, could be. (trolls)

GK: Well there could be people that love the game of guessing, and as you said, you know, in some ways it is a little silly, you know, because we don't know a ton about certainly what Microsoft is doing yet. 

But Jeff let me start with you, when you look at you know, the 3 players and how they ended up in this generation with you know the Wii was a big you know mainstream success (Jeff goes mmm), xbox 360 built alot, Playstation suffered a little, how do you think it's gonna fair  for the next gen.

First let's talk about the Wii U I guess which is ugh, you know, I think now they were saying, you know, a lot of games being announced, you know Battlefield, not doing a WiiU version, um, you know a lot of games (dead island clip is displayed) on the 3rp party side it almost seems like it's game over for Nintendo already.

JG: Ugh, yeah, it really does, I mean Nintendo hasn't really in the past enjoyed terrific 3rd party support since the N64 before the Gamecube... kinda.... (trolls) you know? (GK gamecube, yes looks sideways and gasps, a clip of Metro Last Light is playing the background, even the editor is trolling). Every generation they come out and say "this time, guys, we got this. We got all these 3rd party games, look at all these guys up on stage (clips of reggie and Iwata greeting WB, EA and Ubisoft heads), unprecedented partnerships are being announced, and then that's all gone as soon as the sales numbers come in and, you know, everyone just buys Nintendo consoles apparently to play Nintendo games (trolls). I can't blame 'em, but.

GK: And, and, and (trolls) the sales, you know for Wii were building I mean you look at some of the numbers I mean, you know we've seen them, it's it's a troubling time for Wii U so, do they sort of continue to be "in the conversation" do we think? Or do we really think it's a battle between xbox and Playstation now.

JG: Let's face it we're talking about next generation consoles, just like from the internals of that thing, it doesn't qualify.

MP: (trolls)

JG: Like that, that that's. (laughs) Let's just be real about it, you know.

MP: (trolls) no, come on it's a next generation for them! (laughs)

JG: Yeah it totally is!  (trolls) You're absolutely right.

GK: BUt, oooorrrobviously it feels like it's being lapped by something bigger.

JG: It's being lapped now.

AM: (trolls) Does it feel like it's being lapped? It is _beeing_ lapped. (trolls)

GK: It's not always about the graphics (pikmin 3 is displayed in the background) though, even Nintendo will tell you it's about that incredible gameplay out there.

AM/JG: But I mean like, we "where are those games?" we don't even have those games. Like anybody with a mmmblaaaa (trolls/laughs).

AM: They don't have services (trolls) like the ones we were just making fun of Microsoft for.

GK: I mean so (laughs), so take Nintendo out of the equation, then we look at Sony and Microsoft.

MP: I think Nin-nin-nintendo's already done that for you (trolls), but go ahead.

JG: You tweeted a while ago that whole retail thing "but why WiiU?" it's like oh no (trolls). Maybe they shouldn't have named it that, maybe that would've helped. 

GK: And that's why I'm sure that with Nintendo I'm sure there's going to be a strategy shift at some point.

JG: GTA V is going to be GTA U, it's like GTA V. blablablablabla

Conversation shifts to a more serious tone discussing Sony versus Microsoft.

Otakumegane said:
RicardJulianti said:
It's funny to me that people claim that Nintendo doesn't have any third party support....when that simply isn't true. They have far more confirmed developers than they do ones that aren't outright supporting them.

Crytek, Capcom, Ubisoft, TT Games, WB, Square Enix, Criterion, Atlus, Namco Bandai, Sega, Platinum and Indie devs popping up left and right; versus EA (minus Criterion), Deep Silver, Epic (UE3 support only), and CD Projekt RED.

Anyone else is pure speculation on either side of the argument until E3 is said and done. There are almost no games announced for next-gen consoles anyway so it is a little early to say that they won't have any third party support. This is a fairly old article, but it definitely tells where the industry is headed. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-lost-humanity-18-a-table-of-doritos

Crytek-EA making sure WiiU never gets games, even though Crysis ran on WiiU.

Capcom-MH3U is a port. So is Resident Evil:R

Ubisoft-Ok yeah this one's decnet.

Square Enix-Deus Ex director's cut. Pretty much a dang port. DQX also a port.

Criterion-Port NFSMW

Platinum-You do realize Nintendo bought these guys for the games.

Bamco-Tank!Tank!Tank tanked. 

Sega-Sonic sells well on Nintendo consoles. Actually there are people that don't know Sega isn't a Nintendo character.

Everyone else-UE4. Pretty much that.

This is a bad post.

First of all, you don't judge support based on whether a game failed or not (I assume you were making a joke then for Tank! Tank! Tank!).

Second, Sega isn't a character, and whether Sega-Sonic sells on Nintendo consoles doesn't change the fact that the support is there.

Third, Nintendo didn't buy Platinum games.

Fourth, you didn't tackle Atlus, TT Games, Indies.

And lastly, a port is at least a game, so there is support albeit minor. The lists he gave were reasonable and the contrast was pretty clear with those that offer _no_ support.

Around the Network
AnthonyW86 said:
happydolphin said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Having a multi-billion dollar round up off franchises and letting it go to waste because you stick to an aged business strategy is indeed laughable at best.

What does that have to do with their roundtable though? That wasn't the topic, and your assessment couldn't dream of being remotely true.

It does have something to do with it, Pachter was there and he has said the same thing on numerous occasions. Not that i'm such a big fan of Pachter but he is right on this. I'm not going into details yet again but i think you can understand that if Wii-U ends up selling 30m than that smaller install base will severely limit the amount of software Nintendo can sell.

Actually, I reread the transcript and indeed, if  by an "aged business strategy" you mean using less powerful hardware to keep the costs down then you match their arguments in the "it isn't next gen due to internals" argument. However, the same was said about the Wii and nothing went to waste there, rather Nintendo made a fortune.

So, I think you're terribly wrong.

Not only that, but this is a very recent business strategy for Nintendo, which up until the Wii always released powerful consoles. So you're incorrec t on two accounts in your original post.

I just find it incredible that Pachter makes a prediction of a prediction. He predicts the Xbox-next is gonna be subsidized, wich is questionable on its own since its alot of money. He predicts this subsidy will take most of the console price all the way down to 99 dollars and with all that he predicts Microsoft will win.

How ridiculous can the man get, seriously? Hes basically jumping 2 steps there. Theres alot of assuming there, and thats usually a hint.
We can just as easily assume Sony will make a partnership with samsung who will take the units price down to 99 euros if you buy a samasung TV on a lease. With this, Sony will win next gen cause the next playstation is gonna cost 99 dollars.

It... is... ridiculous. The man shouldnt be paid to say such nonsense. I dont dislike him, but when i see him giving these leaps of faith it makes me question if he realises what he is doing, or if he is just trying to generate goodwill for that outcome to happen, like he wishes it to.

Nem said:
I just find it incredible that Pachter makes a prediction of a prediction. He predicts the Xbox-next is gonna be subsidized, wich is questionable on its own since its alot of money. He predicts this subsidy will take most of the console price all the way down to 99 dollars and with all that he predicts Microsoft will win.

How ridiculous can the man get, seriously? Hes basically jumping 2 steps there. Theres alot of assuming there, and thats usually a hint.
We can just as easily assume Sony will make a partnership with samsung who will take the units price down to 99 euros if you buy a samasung TV on a lease. With this, Sony will win next gen cause the next playstation is gonna cost 99 dollars.

It... is... ridiculous. The man shouldnt be paid to say such nonsense. I dont dislike him, but when i see him giving these leaps of faith it makes me question if he realises what he is doing, or if he is just trying to generate goodwill for that outcome to happen, like he wishes it to.

But what is even more incredible is that he isn't able to make the leap of faith that Nintendo may just have a decent 1st party (and hence 3rd party) line-up by the time its competition gets started.

happydolphin said:
Otakumegane said:
RicardJulianti said:
It's funny to me that people claim that Nintendo doesn't have any third party support....when that simply isn't true. They have far more confirmed developers than they do ones that aren't outright supporting them.

Crytek, Capcom, Ubisoft, TT Games, WB, Square Enix, Criterion, Atlus, Namco Bandai, Sega, Platinum and Indie devs popping up left and right; versus EA (minus Criterion), Deep Silver, Epic (UE3 support only), and CD Projekt RED.

Anyone else is pure speculation on either side of the argument until E3 is said and done. There are almost no games announced for next-gen consoles anyway so it is a little early to say that they won't have any third party support. This is a fairly old article, but it definitely tells where the industry is headed. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-lost-humanity-18-a-table-of-doritos

Crytek-EA making sure WiiU never gets games, even though Crysis ran on WiiU.

Capcom-MH3U is a port. So is Resident Evil:R

Ubisoft-Ok yeah this one's decnet.

Square Enix-Deus Ex director's cut. Pretty much a dang port. DQX also a port.

Criterion-Port NFSMW

Platinum-You do realize Nintendo bought these guys for the games.

Bamco-Tank!Tank!Tank tanked. 

Sega-Sonic sells well on Nintendo consoles. Actually there are people that don't know Sega isn't a Nintendo character.

Everyone else-UE4. Pretty much that.

This is a bad post.

First of all, you don't judge support based on whether a game failed or not (I assume you were making a joke then for Tank! Tank! Tank!).

Second, Sega isn't a character, and whether Sega-Sonic sells on Nintendo consoles doesn't change the fact that the support is there.

Third, Nintendo didn't buy Platinum games.

Fourth, you didn't tackle Atlus, TT Games, Indies.

And lastly, a port is at least a game, so there is support albeit minor. The lists he gave were reasonable and the contrast was pretty clear with those that offer _no_ support.

I was actually stealth-poking at thw WiiU and how it's a port device.

(Wait Nintendo ain't funding 101?)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:

I was actually stealth-poking at thw WiiU and how it's a port device.

(Wait Nintendo ain't funding 101?)

They are funding 101 but they didn't buy Platinum games.

I'm glad you're just poking, because otherwise it wouldn't have made much sense ;)