By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will I be able to sell PS4 pre-order at a high price?

Have any of you sold a new console or a pre-order on ebay before?  If so what was your experience and which console?  Did you get substantially more than you paid for it and when did people buy it (how close to launch or how soon after launch)?

EDIT: A lot of you seem to have doubts about resale.  I will simply ask this then.  I plan to buy through Amazon.  All their other products that I pre-ordered I could cancel right up until it shipped.  So will that be the case with a supply constrained product?  I could pre-order 2 and if demand isn't high enough just cancel the pre-order and be no worse for wear.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Do you really think PS4 will sell out, when

i) It uses well understood hardware from well tested manufacturing plants, unlike the PS3
ii) It will be competingat $400+ vs. a $99 360 and a presumably sub-$200 PS3 with almost all of the same games available
iii) All of one's friends are still on Live/PSN and not on the new service, and
iv) Wii U didn't

Soleron said:

i) It uses well understood hardware from well tested manufacturing plants, unlike the PS3
ii) It will be competingat $400+ vs. a $99 360 and a presumably sub-$200 PS3 with almost all of the same games available
iv) Wii U didn't

Artificial shortages. I hear companies deliberately send out too few consoles to force shortages, making consumers think the product is in high demand.

Jay520 said:

Artificial shortages. I hear companies deliberately send out too few consoles to force shortages, making consumers think the product is in high demand.

Has this ever definitely happened?

Soleron said:
Jay520 said:

Has this ever definitely happened?

I thought WiiU was selling for more than retail even?  I could have sworn I saw them selling for at least $500 soon after launch and given that people didn't seem nearly as hyped as they've been for PS4 and we haven't heard nearly as many details I would have to say yes, but this is off topic do you have any history trying this?

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Hahaha no. It's going to have super strong competition from Microsoft so people will buy that at street value instead of spending thousands for a PS4 from you. In addition with the modern internet and pre-orders, most people can get the consoles at launch if they want.

JoeTheBro said:
Hahaha no. It's going to have super strong competition from Microsoft so people will buy that at street value instead of spending thousands for a PS4. In addition with the modern internet and pre-orders, most people can get the consoles at launch if they want.

no need to laugh it was an honest question from someone who's never tried this before (never even considered a launch console before).  I don't see why Sony and MS couldn't both sell out or people be more excited for PS4 for whatever reason.  Also Amazon was around for WiiU launch and I saw them going for $500.

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Soleron said:

iv) Wii U didn't

So this means i don't have to worry about standing in a line at a (cold) midnight launch because I could easily get hold of one in the following few days? Great!

Slimebeast said:
Soleron said:

iv) Wii U didn't

So this means i don't have to worry about standing in a line at a (cold) midnight launch because I could easily get hold of one in the following few days? Great!

I have no idea, I'm just saying the facts don't favour months of selling out that would allow high resale prices...

No. People made a mistake doing that with the WiiU as well. The PS4 will likely have a lot of competition this holiday with the NeXbox, possibly a $99 X360, WiiU, PS3 which will also probably be aroun $200-250, 3DS, and the Vita. Too risky if you ask me.