By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be just as big a Nintendo fan if they went "software" only?

Not really, I would definitely respect them less. I liked Sega consoles and Sega stuff when they were in the business. Now look at them, I really do not care that much about them.

Around the Network

Definitely not, i dont know the reason. I just feel like nintendo games belong on their own hardware.

At least Nintendo try with their hardware, left to the others we would only see generic uninspired changes for generations to come

Nintendo is the arty/creative kid, Sony is the maths geek, and MS the science nerd

No. I'd rather they did what they said they'd do and take the franchises to the grave with them.

Maybe. Probably yes. Even though I've purchased every generation of Nintendo's handhelds and all of their consoles but the Wii, I've been a Playstation fan since the PSX. If I could potentially play and purchase the same amount of games without having to purchase additional consoles other than my primary, then I wouldn't mind if Nintendo was software only. I purchase a few titles here and there but not really a big fan of their first party titles so if they scaled back and released less, then wouldn't bother me because it'd be more quality over quantity.  Then all those third party titles that I've favored on my preferred consoles.

Around the Network

It would be good not to have to get their console, but they would do worse as a company and then game quality could suffer. So any Nintendo fan can't really support this. If the quality definitely wouldn't decrease, I think everyone would support this.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

In my opinion the gaming industry would fall to a new low. Nintendo are the only ones keeping the console market fresh. If its graphics you want buy a good PC, if its innovation buy a Nintendo. PS/Xbox already miss out on playing 3 good genras like RTS/Simulators/MMOs due to there basic control systems.
Sony Wouldnt last long either, there already in the negative and with no Nintendo to copy and paste then they will fall next due to lack of ideas.
MS will be the only one left making Consoles which isnt a bad thing but then again if they lack the innovation, then the market dies and the world would become Pro PC (which i wouldnt mind since im a PC gamer)

Well I guess I would still be a fan. It would be cool and weird playing Mario kart or smash bros on Playstation.

I probably would buy more games from from them for sure depending what platforms they published on. If the put games on tablets I would play Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario's. If they just put them on home consoles I would probably get more too. It would be an obvious increase as the Wii scared me away from the consoles and my tablet prevents me from ever buying a handheld. 

Well, it's obvious Nintendo doesn't know how to design hardware anymore (aside from handhelds where they have a near monopoly), so I wouldn't mind seeing them go software-only in the console market sometime in the future.

And it would be very interesting to see if they can compete on the same level as other developers and publishers... Nintendo is used to carving out their own little slice of the pie by having their own dedicated console, but when said dedicated console competes directly with their competition (SNES, N64, GC) instead of essentially having a monopoly (NES) or focusing on a different market altogether (Wii), Nintendo has struggled in the past.

I think if Nintendo were to go software only they would partner up with one console manufacturer, either Sony or M$, or possibly a new player in the gaming market, and focus all their software on that one console, because releasing their Marios and Zeldas as multiplatform games would never work.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.