By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rape Culture - Do Kids Trivialize the Word "Rape" in Gaming?

Do Kids Trivialize the Word "Rape" in Gaming?

Yes 31 51.67%

No 29 48.33%

Total:60

Oh boy... did the fat guy just imply kids thinking the word rape is cool when used in the context of dominating your opponent in a game is somehow going encourage people to commit sexual rape?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
richardhutnik said:

Desensitivity to the word is an issue. BUT...

Note one of the definitions of the word "rape":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape

rape

1   [reyp]  Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.
noun
the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force orduress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation;violation: the rape of the countryside.
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object)
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.
Some of the defintions of the word do fit how they are using it.  Does one want to have the word remove nearly half the definitions?

A very good point.

I came here to make sure that someone posted the definition of rape, thank you sir.  People who complain about words they don't even understand needs to end.

Those kids who say such words deserve a spanking on their ass.. But then I would be arrested and thrown in jail for violence and probably sexuall assault...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Serious_frusting said:
I think people are just getting to sensitive about everything. We have bread a generation of pussies.

I personally don't go around saying rape, its uncouth. But is this really something we need to piss an moan about?

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

NiKKoM said:
Those kids who say such words deserve a spanking on their ass.. But then I would be arrested and thrown in jail for violence and probably sexuall assault...

I dunno man. Touching a kid's ass, sounds like borderline rape shit to me.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
leedlelee said:
Getting gamers not to use the word rape would be one small step in changing rape culture...
I think it's more important that we stop blaming victims personally...
And I think it's important that men participate in these conversations...
That's not to say that I think men are the enemy of anyone hoping to eradicate rape culture...
I actually think women who blame women for what's happened to them are the bigger enemy...

Less of this nonsense...

Lets just concern outselves with people actually commiting rape. That's something rarely taken lightly.

Recently Completed

Immortal said:
Lulz said:
I find it strange that we place harsher meaning on words like rape than we do on murder or kill. I've never seen anyone ever, in the history of planet Earth complain that someone used the word kill or murder to describe a beat down in a sporting or gaming even. When you beat someone in football 55-0 you "killed" them, and that's ok, but if you say you "raped" them it's in poor taste? Since when did rape become a worse crime than murder?

Personally, I think it's because people are generally over-sensitive in regards to anything related toward violence that happens to women or children. For example, if I ask you to visualize one child being raped or killed you would say that's the most horrific thing imaginable. If I ask you to imagine a nuke being dropped on a major city you're almost desensitized to it. it doesn't bother you at all.

So what's worse? The genocide of a million people or the rape of a women or child?

I don't really have an answer one way or the other, I jut find it interesting to look at how we place more or less value on certain crimes and actions based on who we perceive these crimes or actions generally happen to.

Killing someone is, for all intents and purposes, a much smaller crime than rape. In general, excluding extremists, just about everyone agrees that there are justified reasons to kill human beings (self-defense, war, etc.). In general, excluding lunatics, just about no one thinks that there are justified reasons to commit rape (because there really aren't). That's just how it works. As such, killing is an accepted reality and a much smaller deal so belittling the crime is quite alright in comparison. Why do you think we have so many games (hell, even 7+ games) that involve killing people and just about none about rape?

And it really isn't over-sensitive to feel worse for women and children. A crime committed to a woman or a child is worse than a crime committed to an adult man. Since women and children are comparitively defenseless, harming them implies much more malice on the part of the criminal. Although it's a bit traditional to think this way, since a man is more physically able to defend himself, it's not as cruel to harm/kill him.

Your bomb example doesn't make sense either. I'm desensitized to nukes in general; even if we compare an explosion to the killing of a single man, the latter image is still worse. I forget who it was, but someone said something like the death of a man is a tragedy, the death of a million, a statistic. Explains this well. In any case, it's not particularly because people detest the image of a child being harmed, although they do dislike it more than that of an adult man being harmed.

I'm going to get slammed for this, but here goes...

There's a difference between killing in self defense and murdering someone in cold blood though. The latter is worse than rape simply because for rape victims there is at least a chance of recovery; a murder victim is gone forever.

And it's "not as cruel" to harm/kill a man? Nice little nugget of sexism there. Since some women are more capable of defending themselves than some men, in those cases would it then be "not as cruel" to harm/kill the woman?

leedlelee said:
Getting gamers not to use the word rape would be one small step in changing rape culture...
I think it's more important that we stop blaming victims personally...
And I think it's important that men participate in these conversations...
That's not to say that I think men are the enemy of anyone hoping to eradicate rape culture...
I actually think women who blame women for what's happened to them are the bigger enemy...

So, what is this grand strategy you have to get masses to stop using a word?  And then, what's the rest of this plan to stop this rape culture?  I would slightly disagree with men being the said "enemy".  Maybe some men are.  As for most men, I am sure it is an issue that is not relateable, so you don't get the support you seek.  If it isn't relateable, you don't get support.  That is reality.  

I also see something I find very suspect.  You are think that somehow presumption of guilt has to do with why women get raped.  It is wrong after the fact treatment of what happens in rape, but causes women to get raped?  I think that is seriously pushing it.

And I also think SERIOUSLY there is TONS more needed than "participate in the conversation" here.  Mere talk? Blech.  Seriously other things matter, like the will to power harming and so on.  And there is a sexual lust component to rape to, or at least some rapes, which likes to get ignored in this era of sexual revolution.  

chris_wing said:
curl-6 said:
richardhutnik said:

Desensitivity to the word is an issue. BUT...

Note one of the definitions of the word "rape":

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape

rape

1   [reyp]  Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.
noun
the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force orduress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation;violation: the rape of the countryside.
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object)
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.
Some of the defintions of the word do fit how they are using it.  Does one want to have the word remove nearly half the definitions?

A very good point.

I came here to make sure that someone posted the definition of rape, thank you sir.  People who complain about words they don't even understand needs to end.

People, in this use of victim card for political influence abuse the English language.  And people get VERY sloppy.  Like an NBA player ends up calling the requirement of one year of college, or not going into the NBA a "racist" rule.  Racism was played as a trump card, meant to respond to every single issue they had with.  Just scream it and expect to score points and influence.  You can try to score points with certain worlds and have masses of uninformed people actually use the word.  The idea isn't right language, but shaping a culture to fit one's preferences.  You can do this also by attaching "phobia" to a word to, and end up saying individuals who dislike things are actually scared by it.  And that is far as I will go with that one.  I go futher and I open up a huge can of worms there which is off-topic to this thread.

If one wants to deal with this said "culture of rape", may I also suggest that the nature of dating and so on be said, and that the idea of women being totally passive, and guys making moves, and making men overwhelming women as desirable, and pursuing beyond now, end? I see elements that cause problems with no isn't really even supposed to be no, and the idea of love involves being overpowered by a guy. So long as these norms and women passivity are promoted and supported as acceptable, you will end up with this said "culture of rape", which I presume is a pocket sub-culture and not the universal norm.