$500 for a game system is...

OK. 66 13.31%

I will pay anything for Halo! 11 2.22%

I will pay anything for Sony! 59 11.90%

OK for launch, but it better come down quick! 97 19.56%

Too Much!! 263 53.02%

Total:496

It's not at all.

The first batch will sell out regardless of the price.

Is the price sustainable? Well no, that's why they introduce price cuts. They'll try to lure people in with big budget titles for as long as they can but eventually the price will go down.

Unfortunately it's not affordable for everyone, but it's affordable for enough people to make the price justifiable.

Around the Network

no,but anything higher then that is. That's the highest i'd be willing to pay for a system.

Meh, price cut in 2 years time. That's what i'm waiting for as early adopting is for chumps :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sergiodaly said:
i really don't understand gamers...
people is always talking about power, graphics, features, innovative gameplay, etc etc etc... but the time comes to put the money where your mouth is... they come here saying $xxx is too much, if the tech, OS features, games through the years, all that work with services, are there, why is it to much?
will give you some examples on how your views are clouded... a flagship smartphone cost manufacturers no more than 60% of the price tag, yet consoles must not be priced higher than manufacture cost... uhhh??? yes, thats right... does it make sense??? not to me. other examples, based on some other hobbies people have, i have 4 or 5 friends that have cycling as a hobby, do anyone know how much does their bike cost? i know a few car tunning dudes, dont get me started on this subject... movie collectors, music lovers with endless album collections, pot smokers... the list goes on and on...

now... is $500 too much? $100 per year on HW is dirty cheap for this hobby...

My views are not clouded.

I don't spend large sums of money on cycling, or cars, or pot. If other people choose to do so, that doesn't mean I should have to as well.

$400 is the maximum reasonable price for a video game console in my view; if it's more than that then its almost certainly asking me to pay for extra fatures I neither want nor need.

hollabackenny said:
I wonder how many people complaining about a $500 console (whether it be ps4 or 720) also own equally if not more expensive tablets or phones.

Phone and tablets, like computers, serve features people need.  A videogame console, in no shape or form does, unless you find gaming a need.  That is a key difference here.  For example, when I was looking for a portable device to be able to carry PDFs to my game designs with me, the 3DS and Vita both got ruled out as options.  The only option was a tablet.

And then, after people spend money on these devices, they feel less inclined to want to spent yet another $500 for a console.

Around the Network

Way too much....Honestly the maximum Im plopping down on a new console (bar something extreme happening like VSXIII or MGSV being next gen launch titles) is 399.99

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

And I'm one of the guys that paid $700.00 CAD for a launch PS3. I've regretted paying that much ever since. Especially since that by the time the console was getting some decent games, the price drops started coming in.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

curl-6 said:
sergiodaly said:
people is always talking about power, graphics, features, innovative gameplay, etc etc etc... but the time comes to put the money where your mouth is... they come here saying $xxx is too much, if the tech, OS features, games through the years, all that work with services, are there, why is it to much?
will give you some examples on how your views are clouded... a flagship smartphone cost manufacturers no more than 60% of the price tag, yet consoles must not be priced higher than manufacture cost... uhhh??? yes, thats right... does it make sense??? not to me. other examples, based on some other hobbies people have, i have 4 or 5 friends that have cycling as a hobby, do anyone know how much does their bike cost? i know a few car tunning dudes, dont get me started on this subject... movie collectors, music lovers with endless album collections, pot smokers... the list goes on and on...

My views are not clouded.

I don't spend large sums of money on cycling, or cars, or pot. If other people choose to do so, that doesn't mean I should have to as well.

$400 is the maximum reasonable price for a video game console in my view; if it's more than that then its almost certainly asking me to pay for extra fatures I neither want nor need.

i am sorry but i disagree @bold, not that i am accusing you of anything, some people just don't realize, some don't want to see, some are stubborn in their ways... its a legit situation for anyone to be in sometime in life.
i was pointing out that people spend money on things they like... how much? not large sums, it is as much as they can to be able to do these things they like with much more comfort, pleasure, you name it...
if you can't spend more than $400... that is ok... but choosing to not pay more than $400 is just saying you don't like gaming that much and that you are fine in being in the low end of gaming forever, and that console manufactures must sell HW at loss or near it... selling HW at loss will only make consoles last less because if there is no gain, there will not be much effort in making them...

question to you... do you put these maximum prices on everything? cars? no more than 20k? more than 20k is features and extras you don't want or need? laptop? no more than $500 because there will be features and extras you don't want or need? smart phone? no more than $300 cause will have  features and extras you don't want or need? see where i am going with this?

to me this is organic, i pay if i feel its worth... reread my last sentence in the previous post.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:

I read the survey as what is viable for sales, not what people would pay indivdually.  It is highly presumpted for a gamer to presume that people have the same values as they do.  Unless you are arguing people should take up videogaming as a hobby (even giving up other hobbies) because it cheaper, the argument is whether or not a $500 console is too much for people.  The answer to that is very much yes.  Early adopter prices are usually far more expensive than the price of the masses pay.  And the cost of a console is also a cost of a TV to.  And with XBox a subscription, and then factor in the cost of games.  For a console to be worth it at $500 it needs to do more than just a single game.  So your initial cost estimate is much higher.

BasilZero said:

;o....are you saying...I AM WRONG!?

No, I'm just saying $200 back then was worth a lot more than $200 today. :P

snyps said:

if you're wages stayed the same like it did for the majority then inflation is irrelevent imo..  You can only afford what you can afford.

Minimum wage was $3.80 in 1990. It is $7.25 today. The relative value is still similar, but wages have increased. They will always have to increase as prices increase...

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089