By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Developer on Xbox 720 always-online: “All I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills”

walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

I really don't believe these rumors, Microsoft can't be that stupid and ignorant.

Sony didn't do it with the Ps4, I doubt Microsoft will.

Like I already said in another thread: the consoles especially need support from 3rd-parties. If 3rd-parties say "we want always-online to fight piracy" this will affect both Sony and MS. If they don't want it I doubt both will force gamers to always-online. Time will tell!

I can't see this "Always online thing" not being a request from developers.   I hope consumers aren't stupid enough to buy consoles that enforce this.

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:
walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

I really don't believe these rumors, Microsoft can't be that stupid and ignorant.

Sony didn't do it with the Ps4, I doubt Microsoft will.

Like I already said in another thread: the consoles especially need support from 3rd-parties. If 3rd-parties say "we want always-online to fight piracy" this will affect both Sony and MS. If they don't want it I doubt both will force gamers to always-online. Time will tell!

I can't see this "Always online thing" not being a request from developers.   I hope consumers aren't stupid enough to buy consoles that enforce this.

We are still free to buy PS3, WiiU and 360...

This is bad press for MS. They should deny it. But I don't think they will, because I think it's true.

walsufnir said:
dsgrue3 said:
walsufnir said:

Exactly! And this is why I think it is short-sighted to blame MS now (if rumors are true) as the platform is highly influenced by 3rd-party. 3rd party will never support a platform which they think will not make a lot of money for them. Do you think that EA doesn't see that always-on is perhaps a bad idea?

Except Sony have said that it's up to the developers if they want to impose some form of online registration/control scheme. This is not the same as MS, which is imposing such a feature on the console itself. 

Sony said a lot of things in the past that came out not true but more important: If all publishers go that way (except Sony) than it is the same with NextBox. Of course you are free to only play Sony's games in this case. And don't come up with "but not all will do this!" the whole discussion is speculative and *every* comment is speculative until we know the truth from Sony and MS.

Right, but MS will be blamed for it. Sony won't as a result of how they went about accomplishing the same thing - IF that's the case. 

Sony can say "It was not our decision, it was left to the developers."

MS can say "Go f*ck yourself, peasants!" and they have: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158212&page=1#

dsgrue3 said:
walsufnir said:

Exactly! And this is why I think it is short-sighted to blame MS now (if rumors are true) as the platform is highly influenced by 3rd-party. 3rd party will never support a platform which they think will not make a lot of money for them. Do you think that EA doesn't see that always-on is perhaps a bad idea?

Except Sony have said that it's up to the developers if they want to impose some form of online registration/control scheme. This is not the same as MS, which is imposing such a feature on the console itself. 

IMO even that sucks. So 3rd party games have these online registrations and Sony 1st party games have online passes to block used sales (like PSABR, Resistance 3 etc). This is not so much better than having a required online connection.

We, the whole industry, are heading in the wrong direction IMO.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

Hubris is a hell of a drug.

dsgrue3 said:
walsufnir said:
dsgrue3 said:
walsufnir said:

Sony said a lot of things in the past that came out not true but more important: If all publishers go that way (except Sony) than it is the same with NextBox. Of course you are free to only play Sony's games in this case. And don't come up with "but not all will do this!" the whole discussion is speculative and *every* comment is speculative until we know the truth from Sony and MS.

Right, but MS will be blamed for it. Sony won't as a result of how they went about accomplishing the same thing - IF that's the case. 

Sony can say "It was not our decision, it was left to the developers."

MS can say "Go f*ck yourself, peasants!" and they have: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158212&page=1#

Well, the link is there but look at how many consoles were sold this gen and now guess how many ppl of this number read forums and care about what some guy at twitter said (and how serious he was).

And also I think no one will only blame MS - if I have to be online to play games on PS4, nobody will blame MS - they will of course blame Sony as you are playing on their platform. No matter what Sony says.

Im not sure what to think. This company "The Workshop Entertainment" was outsourced for a Borderlands 2 DLC and made the PS3 Move game Sorcery. I am 99.9% sure they dont have a 720 dev kit as they clearly arent big enough to get a kit before the final build. I have no idea who this guy is friends with though.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Ok, From what I am hearing, and please please take this with a pinch of salt, but from an ex PR rep for Microsoft Ireland, ( they dont represent microsoft anymore, but are still in the gaming and entertainment industry) its NOT an always online connection. "Apparently" you will need to be online everytime you initally load a game or swapping a game. This happens EVERYTIME you load a game to verify its authenticity but you by no means have to stay online to keep playing.

Look, this could be all bull, there are a lot of the same rumours out there, but they all seem to stem from Kotatu, one source, probably best we wait till Microsoft confirm this, as it really does seem like one of the worst moves in Gaming History, i mean, ET and Enter the Matrix worse, did EA or Atari purchase microsoft by any chance :P

(also, a side note, the same rep also said that once the game is verified online, its locked to that single console. you will not be able to play it on another console, again rumour, but seems in line with Microsoft trying to get rid of the second hand market. Could be bull, dont shoot the messenger :P)

DirtyP2002 said:

IMO even that sucks. So 3rd party games have these online registrations and Sony 1st party games have online passes to block used sales (like PSABR, Resistance 3 etc). This is not so much better than having a required online connection.

We, the whole industry, are heading in the wrong direction IMO.

Right, absolutely agree. If it turns out as it stands right now with Durango always online and devs require it for their games on PS4, then it's the same damn thing from a consumer standpoint.

I think we'll have some definitive answers within a month.