By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Developer on Xbox 720 always-online: “All I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills”

walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

I really don't believe these rumors, Microsoft can't be that stupid and ignorant.

Sony didn't do it with the Ps4, I doubt Microsoft will.

Like I already said in another thread: the consoles especially need support from 3rd-parties. If 3rd-parties say "we want always-online to fight piracy" this will affect both Sony and MS. If they don't want it I doubt both will force gamers to always-online. Time will tell!

The problem is that console makers can answer that the console is theirs and if they don't want to develop for their console they can go to... where?

-The competing console? Developing for only one console will hurt them as much as the piracy as they will halve their potential market.

-PC which they always whine about piracy?

-Smartphones and tablets? ...Good luck with those 1 dollar games around.

Let's face it, console makers need third party games to sell their consoles as much a third partys need consoles to sell their games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Rychussnik said:

M$ has been getting nothing but bad publicity since the beginning of the year...

And that's why I'm starting to believe these rumours, as crazy/suicidal as they sound. I mean, the rumours are getting very damaging for MS, all it would take is an official 'It ain't happening' statement from MS, but there's nothing but silence. I get the usual 'we don't comment on speculation' from companies, but at some point the reputation damage can get bad enough that a company has to step in to kill it. 

Sony suffered similar issues with the blocked second hand games rumour, all it took was for them stating in interviews that wasn't happening and the rumour died, MS silence is baffling. 

The good thing is as long as we make enough fuss about it Microsoft will probably change it's mind and not implement this.

Somini said:
walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

I really don't believe these rumors, Microsoft can't be that stupid and ignorant.

Like I already said in another thread: the consoles especially need support from 3rd-parties. If 3rd-parties say "we want always-online to fight piracy" this will affect both Sony and MS. If they don't want it I doubt both will force gamers to always-online. Time will tell!

You gotta remind yourself not every third party wants this. You can see this on the PS3 and Xbox 360 already. EA is the only company that is always busy with DRM in all of their games.

So even if Microsoft is doing this to please them, Sony can still choose to ignore this as there are a lot of other developers who don't use these practices in making their games work on your console.

I don't know what Sony and MS discussed with devs but if EA wants an always-on-strategy both surely don't want to lose this partner! Sony would never say EA "ok, we can go without you". Question is, if EA would do this, too... But that's highly speculative.

In my opinion, MS and Sony did a lot of talking to publishers (especially the major ones) as they will use the platforms to make money off them. There is no way that MS or Sony decide anything without asking them, more than this I think the publishers told them what they expect nextgen.

JEMC said:
walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

The problem is that console makers can answer that the console is theirs and if they don't want to develop for their console they can go to... where?

-The competing console? Developing for only one console will hurt them as much as the piracy as they will halve their potential market.

Let's face it, console makers need third party games to sell their consoles as much a third partys need consoles to sell their games.

Exactly! And this is why I think it is short-sighted to blame MS now (if rumors are true) as the platform is highly influenced by 3rd-party. 3rd party will never support a platform which they think will not make a lot of money for them. Do you think that EA doesn't see that always-on is perhaps a bad idea?

Around the Network

"all I can say is, be sure to pay your ISP bill".
All I can say is, be prepared to finish a very distant last place and most likely lose a bunch money.

walsufnir said:
JEMC said:
walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

Exactly! And this is why I think it is short-sighted to blame MS now (if rumors are true) as the platform is highly influenced by 3rd-party. 3rd party will never support a platform which they think will not make a lot of money for them. Do you think that EA doesn't see that always-on is perhaps a bad idea?

If EA thought it is a bad idea they wouldn't go with it for SimCity.

And third partys make mistakes constantly like everyone else, usually because they are short-sighted. And with this they only see "always online = no piracy" and "always online = no used games" and inmediatly think "we'll sell a sh!tload more!" when in reality they will sell more or less the same.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

walsufnir said:

Except Sony have said that it's up to the developers if they want to impose some form of online registration/control scheme. This is not the same as MS, which is imposing such a feature on the console itself. 

JEMC said:
walsufnir said:
JEMC said:
walsufnir said:
Deyon said:

If EA thought it is a bad idea they wouldn't go with it for SimCity.

And third partys make mistakes constantly like everyone else, usually because they are short-sighted. And with this they only see "always online = no piracy" and "always online = no used games" and inmediatly think "we'll sell a sh!tload more!" when in reality they will sell more or less the same.

Well, Sim City is a bad example as it is PC-only and probably was also a test-balloon...

And yes, of course they make mistakes :) As does Sony, as does MS, as do we. I just want to say that neither Sony nor MS implement anything on their own, in my opinion. How this will turn out for us will be seen.

dsgrue3 said:
walsufnir said:

Except Sony have said that it's up to the developers if they want to impose some form of online registration/control scheme. This is not the same as MS, which is imposing such a feature on the console itself. 

Sony said a lot of things in the past that came out not true but more important: If all publishers go that way (except Sony) than it is the same with NextBox. Of course you are free to only play Sony's games in this case. And don't come up with "but not all will do this!" the whole discussion is speculative and *every* comment is speculative until we know the truth from Sony and MS.