By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 'isn't quite as powerful as Epic was hoping for,' Digital Foundry reports

Pemalite said:

Rubbish.
You think texture's, effects, geometry data doesn't take any bandwidth? The more bandwidth, the more you can dial up those effects, regardless of resolution.
You are also forgetting that the PS4 is fixed hardware, it's not going to magically get any speed increases in it's life time, 170GB/s is fine now, but how amenic isn't it going to look in a few years time?
Hell, the Playstation 2 could in theory do 1080P with 4x Anti-Aliasing, but guess what? The games are going to look horrible as sacrifices to other things will have to be made and the PS2's memory bandwidth isn't anywhere near even a PS4.

Actually, my processor is hitting almost 70GB/s in memory bandwidth, quad-channel DDR and all.
The memory controller certainly isn't that crap.

Again, Rubbish.

The Cell is a low-performance cheap processor as it's a chip going into a cost-sensitive device, the "graphics" processing can be done on any modern processor just as good or significantly better than the Cell.
Besides, most of the graphics effects the Cell does is usually frame-buffer effects and even games like Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 had that.

The PS4 can certainly do everything the PS3 can, it's faster and superior in every way. But, I beleive it could have still been better in the CPU, memory bandwidth and memory amount department, it's still slower than a several year old PC.

1) No... 170GB/s is fine for now and for the next five years at for 1080p... for resolution over that is the biggest problem... even for texture in 1080p they have a virtual limite size... and don't 4k textures for 1080p lol.

2) So you have a Sandy Bridge-E the only descktop processor with quad-channel (256bits)... a max bandwidth of 51.2GB/s... maybe you did overclock to reach 60GB/s.

3) Again... the Cell SPE can do way more things that you think.

Around the Network

a 680 is a $500 video card, PS4 hopefully will be $400. So It's not surprising if the PS4 doesn't completely match it.

First of all the cell wasn't rubbish. In 06 it was much better for gaming than any processor at the time. The cell is like a mix of a cpu and gpu. If the cell evolved using moore's law then it would be one hell of a chip. Imagine the physics it could have accomplished. However that would have been way too expensive. And unfortunately cell is done.

Sal.Paradise said:
Kynes said:
It's ironic how the tides have turned. Last generation the unified pool of GDDR memory was the evil by sony fanbase standards, and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The flip flopping is amusing.

I guess I need to copy paste what I said to you before, because you obviously didn't get it. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5173834

I'll get to my point, which is that I think you're bringing up demons from the past to try to paint current Sony enthusiasts on the site in a bad manner, which is quite disingenuous. If you mention that some people are being hypocritical in their behaviour or just acting a certain way, I feel you should at least back it up with some evidence, or it just results in you incorrectly labelling a whole group of people  currently using the site as something they are not. Which isn't a nice thing to do. 

People still defending Cell? Just the post before this one.

NYCrysis said:
First of all the cell wasn't rubbish. In 06 it was much better for gaming than any processor at the time. The cell is like a mix of a cpu and gpu. If the cell evolved using moore's law then it would be one hell of a chip. Imagine the physics it could have accomplished. However that would have been way too expensive. And unfortunately cell is done.

Ask Ethomaz what he thinks of Cell, XDR or anything of the PS3 architecture, he will praise it and at the same time he will praise the PS4 architecture, and is not something only Ethomaz does. CGI Quality praised the PS3 architecture, logic56 did it, and ask Pezus what he thinks of the PS3 hardware. One minute before the PS4 rumors the PS3 was the best possible console by a mile for the PS nation, and now it's something very different to it, and it's curious that now that Sony has taken an approach very similar to the one MS took when they designed the XBox360, it's the best way to design consoles.

I'm defending cell got an issue? The ps3 has a pos gpu bundled with the cell unfortunately and memory oh my did Sony make big mistakes with that. The cell is great if developers properly use it as seen with infamous, uncharted, little big planet, and even battlefield, with the last of us finishing off cell optimization with a big bang. Cell from what I've hear is great with physics simulation which is my biggest issue with games lacking decent physics simulations and is why I feel that a beefed up cell would have been better for the ps4. But in the end I am not an engineer or developer so I can only talk about what I have seen with sony's demonstrations and exclusives. Also I can understand from a business point why it was canned not enough roi.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

1) No... 170GB/s is fine for now and for the next five years at for 1080p... for resolution over that is the biggest problem... even for texture in 1080p they have a virtual limite size... and don't 4k textures for 1080p lol.

2) So you have a Sandy Bridge-E the only descktop processor with quad-channel (256bits)... a max bandwidth of 51.2GB/s... maybe you did overclock to reach 60GB/s.

No. Just like the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 when they launched, developers loved it, but guess what? That memory in both systems became a pain in the ass a year or two after the consoles launched, that memory bandwidth and amount became a real limiter and quickly.
Developers started to ditch the 1080P resolution for 720P and some games wen't even lower than that so that they could improve image quality in other areas.
Why can't you understand this, I'll never know, but the same thing is going to happen again because Sony wen't with lower-end (relative to the PC) hardware this time around and Microsoft probably will too.

Also, games aren't just resolutions and textures.

As for the PC memory bandwidth, again you are completely wrong.
You are basing those numbers on DDR3 1600mhz memory, the PC supports many different speeds and latencies.
Grab some 2133mhz memory modules and whack them into Quad Channel, suddenly you will have more memory bandwidth available.

Remember: Bandwidth = Real clock rate x Bits transferred per clock cycle / 8
I.E. 1866 x 256 / 8 = 59.712GB/s.
If I were to get DDR3 2133mhz memory modules that would jump up to 68.256GB/s.

You can go even farther than that and get some DDR3 2400mhz or even 2800mhz memory modules which would put it at 76.8GB/s and 89.6GB/s respectively, certainly a massive jump from that 10GB/s or 20GB/s you stated before.

Again, people seem to think the Cell can do more than it can do.
Remember, Sony is going with a Netbook/Tablet class processor in the Playstation 4, think about that for a moment. Like spend 5-10 minuits on that point alone.
Then you need to realise that Netbook/Tablet class processor is several multiples faster than the Cell. Think again on that point for another 5-10 minuits.
Then come to the conclusion that the Cell is woefully inadequate, otherwise Sony would have dropped one into the PS4 if it was indeed the be-all end-all processor.
It's a cost sensitive processor to go into a cost sensitive product, it's not a high-performance piece of hardware, better than the Xbox? Sure. Better than your phone? Maybe and if it is, not for long.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
ethomaz said:

No. Just like the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 when they launched, developers loved it, but guess what? That memory in both systems became a pain in the ass a year or two after the consoles launched, that memory bandwidth and amount became a real limiter and quickly.
Developers started to ditch the 1080P resolution for 720P and some games wen't even lower than that so that they could improve image quality in other areas.
Why can't you understand this, I'll never know, but the same thing is going to happen again because Sony wen't with lower-end (relative to the PC) hardware this time around and Microsoft probably will too.

You are basing those numbers on DDR3 1600mhz memory, the PC supports many different speeds and latencies.
Grab some 2133mhz memory modules and whack them into Quad Channel, suddenly you will have more memory bandwidth available.

You can go even farther than that and get some DDR3 2400mhz or even 2800mhz memory modules which would put it at 76.8GB/s and 89.6GB/s respectively, certainly a massive jump from that 10GB/s or 20GB/s you stated before.

Remember, Sony is going with a Netbook/Tablet class processor in the Playstation 4, think about that for a moment. Like spend 5-10 minuits on that point alone.
Then you need to realise that Netbook/Tablet class processor is several multiples faster than the Cell. Think again on that point for another 5-10 minuits.
Then come to the conclusion that the Cell is woefully inadequate, otherwise Sony would have dropped one into the PS4 if it was indeed the be-all end-all processor.
It's a cost sensitive processor to go into a cost sensitive product, it's not a high-performance piece of hardware, better than the Xbox? Sure. Better than your phone? Maybe and if it is, not for long.

Just curious.  How much was your custom PC?  This is an honest question because it sounds expensive as hell.  Mine was around $1500-$1600

Pemalite said:

1) Again your are wrong about memory bandwidth or you don't know what you are talking.

2) No. The CPU have a limit in bus width for memory... so you did overclock to reach there bandwidth... if you put a DDR3 2800Mhz in a Sandy Bridge-EP it will run in 51.2GB/s until you did over in the base clock in CPU. And quad-channel only exist in this processor in Desktop market... SIGLE and DUAL-CHANNEL are the default and used for more than 99% or the Desktops PCs... quad-channel is just userful in Servers.

3) Cell can do a lot of things... it is not a CPU... it is powerful in FLOPS than any other CPU in the market... so it is good for graphics tasks even better than a lot of low GPU.

nnodley said:

Just curious.  How much was your custom PC?  This is an honest question because it sounds expensive as hell.  Mine was around $1500-$1600

Only the LGA 2011 moterboard cost over $300... the CPU Sandy Bridge-E over $300... 4x modules DDR3 2400 ~$300.

MB + CPU + Memory = ~$1000

ethomaz said:

nnodley said:

Only the LGA 2011 moterboard cost over $300... the CPU Sandy Bridge-E over $300... 4x modules DDR3 2400 ~$300.

MB + CPU + Memory = ~$1000

Damn that's a lot, just for those. But if I could afford it I probably would go all out too on mine.