By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 'isn't quite as powerful as Epic was hoping for,' Digital Foundry reports

HoloDust said:
Honestly, lack of full scene dynamic GI (character and moving objects GI is still dynamic, even after replacing SVOGI with Lightmass) is bit of disappointment, but on the other hand, how many PCs currently would be able to run that....if we use Steam statistics, not more than 2-3 percent, if that much.

So, better question might be is SVOGI actually intended to run on anything in near future other than few selected cards that make up for extremely small market share? If PS4 and NextBox can't have it (and it's reasonable to assume that 720 also won't be able to run full dynamic GI), and only few percent of PCs can, for what hardware was Epic actually making UE4 version with SVOGI in the first place?

I think it'd be the same idea as software pushing hardware with consoles, if SVOGI would be in some games and make the games look amazing, then a lot of people will upgrade their video card/s so they can go wooooooo~ ahhhhh~~ But if the option is not there then we'd just shrug and wait for the next one, I mean, Crysis was the target for years and I'm sure that game along pushed a lot of hardware due to epeen prowness.

Around the Network
justinian said:
VGKing said:
GameAnalyser said:
VGKing said:
GameAnalyser said:

"Digital Foundry does note that the differences can be the result of the relative newness of PS4. "The DirectX 11 API is very mature while the PS4 tools and APIs are still in their initial stages of development--it's going to take time for devs to fully get to grips with the new hardware."

This. And Power never satisfies.

I don't think "new-ness" should matter very much. It's all about the documentation. Here's hoping Sony provides the best documentation ever and its easy to understand and IN ENGLISH.

Yeah..looks like this time Sony would strive to work well in that department too. And when more developers are already certain to take advantage of PS4's x86 CPU, things are only looking to head north.

Ps4 is the first Sony console to be designed in America so I'm optimistic.

I hope by design your are not refering to appearance. The xboxes ( especially the original ) I think are ugly beast :)

We have no idea what the console looks like, but I assume the physical appearance is also being desinged in America with the rest of the console..

VGKing said:

8GB GDDR5 UNIFIED memory. This is the only RAM that is available to PS4 and is shared by eveything.(This is a positive thing in case you don't understand)

Not entirely. - There is Pro's and Con's to unified memory, one of those cons is that bandwidth is shared between everything communicating with Ram, in the end the PS4 will get much less than 176GB/s of bandwidth for graphics operations. - Don't get me started on memory contention and such...

The bonus to unified memory is ease of development and that each processor, be it GPU or CPU can talk to each other with one less trip in the middle, reducing latency, which is impacted anyway as GDDR5 is high latency.

But for the love of god, stop praising GDDR5 memory, I have more GDDR5 memory in my PC than the PS4 will have in it's entirety, it's amazing how people will grab a high number (Cell/GDDR5) and run with it, praising it till the cows come home, when in the end it's still inferior to other platforms.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
VGKing said:

8GB GDDR5 UNIFIED memory. This is the only RAM that is available to PS4 and is shared by eveything.(This is a positive thing in case you don't understand)

Not entirely. - There is Pro's and Con's to unified memory, one of those cons is that bandwidth is shared between everything communicating with Ram, in the end the PS4 will get much less than 176GB/s of bandwidth for graphics operations. - Don't get me started on memory contention and such...

The bonus to unified memory is ease of development and that each processor, be it GPU or CPU can talk to each other with one less trip in the middle, reducing latency, which is impacted anyway as GDDR5 is high latency.

But for the love of god, stop praising GDDR5 memory, I have more GDDR5 memory in my PC than the PS4 will have in it's entirety, it's amazing how people will grab a high number (Cell/GDDR5) and run with it, praising it till the cows come home, when in the end it's still inferior to other platforms.

You have higher than 8GB of GDDR5 in your PC? No, you don't lmfao. 

There aren't really any cons to having a unified pool of memory. PS4 has both the quantity and quality it needs.(8GB + high bandwidth). The main thing we should be comparing this to is the next Xbox and based on current spec rumors, PS4 has the best design.

Pemalite said:
VGKing said:

Oh really? You have more than 8GB of GDDR5 in your PC? 

What are the specs of that PC?

Around the Network

Pemalite said:

The GPU have a full 174 GB/s access to the RAM... the CPU have only 20 GB/s access to the RAM... even in parallel with CPU using all the band reserved for it the GPU still have 154 GB/s access to the RAM.

Pemalite said:
VGKing said:

first of all you have 3 gb of USEABLE gddr5 since we all know that in crossfire/sli data is mirrored from the gpu's so in effect you still only have 3gb to the ps4's 8gb.

Ahh, who cares cause the PS4 games are going to look amazing anyways!

One only needs to look at Steam's hwsurvey to see that this level of GPU is far from the norm. The most common are aged middle-tier cards and Intel integrated GPU.

Well, they asked for 2.5 TFLOPS on the systems in 2011 when they showed Samaritan. (about 10 times more powerful that the current Xbox 360, by their calculations.)

It seems the PS4 doesn't make it half way. At least not with the GPU side. (Question - do they count CPU in this?)

All hopes are on you now Microsoft. But the rumors aren't promising.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!