By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 'isn't quite as powerful as Epic was hoping for,' Digital Foundry reports

Kynes said:
Hynad said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Kynes said:
It's ironic how the tides have turned. Last generation the unified pool of GDDR memory was the evil by sony fanbase standards, and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The flip flopping is amusing.

I guess I need to copy paste what I said to you before, because you obviously didn't get it. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5173834

I'll get to my point, which is that I think you're bringing up demons from the past to try to paint current Sony enthusiasts on the site in a bad manner, which is quite disingenuous. If you mention that some people are being hypocritical in their behaviour or just acting a certain way, I feel you should at least back it up with some evidence, or it just results in you incorrectly labelling a whole group of people  currently using the site as something they are not. Which isn't a nice thing to do. 

Couldn't have said it better. 

So both of you don't remember how the mantra was that having a very low latency main memory as XDR was the best thing? I know that defending a non unified memory pool is so last generation... But I'm sure that both of you know that if Sony would have decided to use a non unified memory architecture, that would be the good thing to do, most people here defend what their beloved company does, not what it would be the best thing to do.

Remember threads like this one? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=6963

or this one: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=50089

or this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=55327

or posts like this one: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=1629827

or like this one: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=1342313

or this one: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=1516171

There are tons of examples, you can use this google search and take a look for yourselves: http://bit.ly/XjHOku

It's good that you took the time to find actual examples, thank you for that.  

Problem is, I haven't seen any of the OPs in those examples post on this site since I joined about a year ago. In fact, looking at their post history, none have posted since 2011. You said: "and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The flip flopping is amusing."  So you need to find people who have posted since the PS4 reveal, or hell, since the PS4 rumours even started, and have made a hypocritical post, if you want to make the point that they're being hypocritical. Otherwise as I said, for the third time now, you're bringing up demons from the past to try to paint current Sony enthusiasts on the site in a bad manner, which is quite disingenuous. it just results in you incorrectly labelling a whole group of people  currently using the site as something they are not. Which isn't a nice thing to do. "

Around the Network
Hynad said:

Oh really? You have more than 8GB of GDDR5 in your PC? 

What are the specs of that PC?

In the sig. Sheesh.

VGKing said:

You have higher than 8GB of GDDR5 in your PC? No, you don't lmfao. 

There aren't really any cons to having a unified pool of memory. PS4 has both the quantity and quality it needs.(8GB + high bandwidth). The main thing we should be comparing this to is the next Xbox and based on current spec rumors, PS4 has the best design.

Yes I do.
I have triple Radeon 7970 3gb cards, I did hunt around for some 6gb cards to water cool.
I have 9Gb of physical GDDR5 memory in my PC and 32Gb of Quad-Channel DDR3, you think the PS4 has lots of ram. Haha.

However, although I have 9gb of GDDR5 memory in total, only about 3gb of memory is seen by games, as graphics cards don't have the interconnect to talk to each other with enough bandwidth to combine those memory pools, so instead each card gets the same data.
But I still have 9Gb of GDDR5. :P

ethomaz said:

The GPU have a full 174 GB/s access to the RAM... the CPU have only 20 GB/s access to the RAM... even in parallel with CPU using all the band reserved for it the GPU still have 154 GB/s access to the RAM.

Which is enough for 1080P gaming for a year or two before games will be forced back into 720P land again.
GPU's in the PC space already have 288Gb/s at the high end, next generation will boost it to 384Gb/s if the rumours of the hardware are to go by and that's memory bandwidth JUST for the graphics card.

Also, what about the other components? CPU is taking 20Gb/s, what about the optical drive? mechanical drive? I/O processors, they all take some too, so the GPU will still end up less than 154Gb/s of memory bandwidth, making it end up probably with less than a Desktop Radeon 7850's memory bandwidth, ouch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If true, Epic are even more out of touch than i imagined.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

ethomaz said:

... the CPU have only 20 GB/s access to the RAM...

where does that number come from?

drkohler said:
ethomaz said:

Not sure about the PS4 but that is the quoted number for the Durango CPU.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
ethomaz said:

GDC.

"While the GPU has full access to 176GB/s, one source tells us that the CPU is more constrained at around 20GB/s - still pretty good at around two-thirds the level of bandwidth available to Intel's Ivy Bridge."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-playstation-4

In any case no CPU have this high access to RAM even in PC... 20GB/s is twice the bandwidth used in the TOP Intel CPU in the market. 

Machiavellian said:
drkohler said:
ethomaz said:

That is why I am wndering who is quoting numbers out of the blue..

All we have is a theoretical number (176GB/s in case of the PS4, 76GB/s in the case of NextBox). This number has no relevance at all about what is actually going on on the address bus when gaming. Sure I can make a rough guesstimate, with an 60fps game at 1080p, gpu messing with frame buffer(s) will eat 80% of the bus cycles, and so the PS4 cpu gets roughly 35GB/s (again purely a theoretical limit). But suddenly a 20GB/s number pops into existence like a gospel..  

Pemalite said:

Which is enough for 1080P gaming for a year or two before games will be forced back into 720P land again.
GPU's in the PC space already have 288Gb/s at the high end, next generation will boost it to 384Gb/s if the rumours of the hardware are to go by and that's memory bandwidth JUST for the graphics card.

Also, what about the other components? CPU is taking 20Gb/s, what about the optical drive? mechanical drive? I/O processors, they all take some too, so the GPU will still end up less than 154Gb/s of memory bandwidth, making it end up probably with less than a Desktop Radeon 7850's memory bandwidth, ouch.

lol no... 200GB/s, 300GB/s, 400GB/s, etc is more for super high resolutions with super high AA filters... 1080p with 4xAA is fine with less than 170GB/s.

drkohler said:
Machiavellian said:
drkohler said:
ethomaz said:

That is why I am wndering who is quoting numbers out of the blue..

All we have is a theoretical number (176GB/s in case of the PS4, 76GB/s in the case of NextBox). This number has no relevance at all about what is actually going on on the address bus when gaming. Sure I can make a rough guesstimate, with an 60fps game at 1080p, gpu messing with frame buffer(s) will eat 80% of the bus cycles, and so the PS4 cpu gets roughly 35GB/s (again purely a theoretical limit). But suddenly a 20GB/s number pops into existence like a gospel..

Sony itself said at GDC... there are a lot of articles about and I linked the DigitalFoundry one.

GPU max bandwidth: 176GB/s
CPU max bandwidth: 20GB/s

Sal.Paradise said:
Kynes said:
Hynad said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Couldn't have said it better. 

It's good that you took the time to find actual examples, thank you for that.  

Problem is, I haven't seen any of the OPs in those examples post on this site since I joined about a year ago. In fact, looking at their post history, none have posted since 2011. You said: "and now it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The flip flopping is amusing."  So you need to find people who have posted since the PS4 reveal, or hell, since the PS4 rumours even started, and have made a hypocritical post, if you want to make the point that they're being hypocritical. Otherwise as I said, for the third time now, you're bringing up demons from the past to try to paint current Sony enthusiasts on the site in a bad manner, which is quite disingenuous. it just results in you incorrectly labelling a whole group of people  currently using the site as something they are not. Which isn't a nice thing to do. "

Simultaneous chest and fist pump! Yeah bro!