By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UE4 Scaled down to run on PS4, why not Wii U?

kitler53 said:
UE4 scaled to wiiU is UE3..

I swear this is exactly what i thought when i read the title!!

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
Good thread Keron. One of your best.

I've worked with Unreal Engine 3 and can understand Epic thinking it is enough for the Wii U. It's very powerful code and will still allow Wii U games to look much better than the best of PS360. UE4 is being scaled down for PS4 and tablets as more of an advertising move, not simply to make better games. At least for now.

Lol i know youre still watching me from the threads in the past. I read somewhere that UE3 was not even used to 50% its full potential on PS3 and 360 so i understand devs would make use of that on Wii U. What do you mean an advertising move? They are only doing it to show off the hardware's capabilities you mean?

keroncoward said:
kitler53 said:

Marc Rein was specific when he said UE4 can be scaled down to Wii U. UE3 is a different engine so please provide a discussion that makes sense or a source stating that he said what you just did.

What is the target platform for UE4? What kind of hardware are gamers going to need to run UE4 based games?

Unreal Engine 4’s next-generation renderer targets DirectX 11 GPU’s and really starts to become interesting on hardware with 1+ TFLOPS of graphics performance, where it delivers some truly unprecedented capabilities. However, UE4 also includes a mainstream renderer targeting mass-market devices with a feature set that is appropriate there.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/stunning-videos-show-unreal-engine-4s-next-gen-gtx-680-powered-real-time-graphics

and in case you don"t know flops..

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136756

Bruxel said:
wow there is already a huge diffrence between ps4 and pc. the pc version is much much better. So i dont think the wii u version would look up to par as being weaker then those two..

but damn.. pc is powerhouse

Wii U would definately look noticiably worse than PS4 i would imagine but im sure it can also easily run the engine. No system will fully run the engine except  mid to high end PC.

keroncoward said:
JoeTheBro said:
Good thread Keron. One of your best.

I've worked with Unreal Engine 3 and can understand Epic thinking it is enough for the Wii U. It's very powerful code and will still allow Wii U games to look much better than the best of PS360. UE4 is being scaled down for PS4 and tablets as more of an advertising move, not simply to make better games. At least for now.

Lol i know youre still watching me from the threads in the past. I read somewhere that UE3 was not even used to 50% its full potential on PS3 and 360 so i understand devs would make use of that on Wii U. What do you mean an advertising move? They are only doing it to show off the hardware's capabilities you mean?

Sony is advertizing the PS4 as a powerhouse so by having UE4 they are saying "see it can run this, it's amazing." Meanwhile Epic wants it on PS4 and smartphones to say "see they can run it, it's not too advanced or unobtainable."

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
keroncoward said:
kitler53 said:

Marc Rein was specific when he said UE4 can be scaled down to Wii U. UE3 is a different engine so please provide a discussion that makes sense or a source stating that he said what you just did.

What is the target platform for UE4? What kind of hardware are gamers going to need to run UE4 based games?

Unreal Engine 4’s next-generation renderer targets DirectX 11 GPU’s and really starts to become interesting on hardware with 1+ TFLOPS of graphics performance, where it delivers some truly unprecedented capabilities. However, UE4 also includes a mainstream renderer targeting mass-market devices with a feature set that is appropriate there.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/stunning-videos-show-unreal-engine-4s-next-gen-gtx-680-powered-real-time-graphics

Thanks for the info but where does it say the engine will be UE3 if its scaled down?

The main differences between the PC version and PS4 version is the lighting and particle effects. Where an extremely top of the line PC (or custom rig for the demo) will be able to pump out a bit more in both the lighting and particle effects department, that's not a "Huge Difference." It's minor. The difference between PS4 and WiiU is the RAM, which is a crucial part in getting the lighting (like bloom, light scatter etc) and particle effects to run right and run smooth. This is more than likely than main reason why it's not ideal to run on WiiU. But the differences at the moment between PS4 and PC are negligible at best. And as the PS4 devs get better accustomed to the coding environment for PS4 it will keep up with most high-end PC's with, again, negligible differences.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

There is no technical reason that UE4 can't be ported to Wii U. In fact devs who want to do it themselves can. Epic just doesn't feel it's worth their time right now. Maybe that will change if the Wii U starts selling crazy. Epic wasn't interested in mobile gaming until the iPad/iPhone took off and now they have UE games running on iOS.

Perhaps devs want the Wii U to die/fail? I remember on PS1 and PS2 gens, devs would focus on a single console and let others die, perhaps making a single game is cheaper than making it multiplat. This gen (7th) was different because both X360 and PS3 were successful so they had no choice but develop for both equally.

Or the devs still think they can't compete with Nintendo's first party and their games will sell better on PS4 so they don't bother with the Wii U.

UE3 is enough if it can save devs money and more time to make games... too many getting layed off.. nextGen development is gonna get interesting since its gonna be more expensive lol