By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UE4 Scaled down to run on PS4, why not Wii U?

DaRev said:

So here's the funny thing, I think the specs that Sony revealed so far about the PS4 were firstly to get the fanboys hyped and their knickers wet, and secondly to try and get Microsoft to bite and say, oh shit here's Xbox 720. Sony only succeeded with one of these...

With that said, Sony's track record, in terms of console unveiling verses actual release, leads me to believe that even PS4 will be scaled back come launch 2013 (if it makes 2013), which means that that UE4 on PS4 will be scaled back even more. So try not to get too fond of what you're seeing now boys and girls.

Once PS4 is scaled back, Sony will come out and say never mind that, because UE4 still runs on PS4 and still looks better than WiiU. And the Sony fanboys will continue to rejoice.

Not going to happen, Broski

this sounds like more of what you want or hope happens

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Wii U:

1/4th the ram of PS4/NextBox
Less than half the CPU power
Weaker GPU by quite a bit

Sums it up quite nicely. However, the WiiU seems to have 1G reserved for the OS, so you end up with 1G for game software, video memory and driver stuff. Even if we allow 2G for OS on the other new consoles, the WiiU actually has only about 1/6 the memory for games. You end up counting bytes on the WiiU as developers are doing now on the PS3/X360, and this "How-can-we-save-a-few-bytes-thinking" is not a good sign for things to come. Once the new consoles are out, I can see developers and buyers leaving WiiU in droves.

Because UE4 is only on next gen consoles and PC.

It isn't coming to PS360 either.

Seriously... Am I the only one that was not that impressed with the demo to begin with....? I was more impressed with that dragon game that Sony showed with the PS4 reveal.

OP: Did they ever even say what was "scaled down" on the PS4? All I see is a bit more particles and light effects...

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mnementh said:
menx64 said:
it should be possible. Epic probably dont see the benefit of scaling UE4 to wiiU because they dont see a good business opportunity there.

This. And you can be sure Epic will port itself, if customers of Epic/UE sell their UE3-games a lot on WiiU and also want to sell UE4-games. But this is unlikely, that's why Epic didn't made it for WiiU in the first place.

Also, so far are barely any UE4-games, so it is not a big deal for now.

Isn't UE4 going to more demanding and more expensive than UE3 when it comes to developing for Nintendo? Working on last gen tech should be more profitable. I mean I know Nintendo doesn't want to seem like the gimp at the table but they are.

True. WiiU being able to handle UE4 is just positive for third parties. But if star wars 1313 was being made on UE3, I guess a lot of devs will not jump to UE4 but until late on the gen.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network
menx64 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mnementh said:
menx64 said:
it should be possible. Epic probably dont see the benefit of scaling UE4 to wiiU because they dont see a good business opportunity there.

This. And you can be sure Epic will port itself, if customers of Epic/UE sell their UE3-games a lot on WiiU and also want to sell UE4-games. But this is unlikely, that's why Epic didn't made it for WiiU in the first place.

Also, so far are barely any UE4-games, so it is not a big deal for now.

Isn't UE4 going to more demanding and more expensive than UE3 when it comes to developing for Nintendo? Working on last gen tech should be more profitable. I mean I know Nintendo doesn't want to seem like the gimp at the table but they are.

True. WiiU being able to handle UE4 is just positive for third parties. But if star wars 1313 was being made on UE3, I guess a lot of devs will not jump to UE4 but until late on the gen.

Star Wars 1313 didnt really need UE4...it was following in Uncharteds footsteps. It was going to be a cooridor shooter with a lot of platforming, shooting, basically everyting Uncharted is redressed as Star Wars.Disney pulled the rug from under the development though but wants the licensing rights to it.

Pretty sure epic has their hand in Sony's pocket or they would be touting the new MS console as well. The video cards within the systems are similar PS4/next box/Wii U. The engine could run on the Wii U fine. It's designed to be scalable to most devices so this is all BS from epic and Rein about it not running on the Wii U. The GPU is the backbone of every gaming system and the Wii U's is fine.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

The quote you quoted isn't correct btw. More cores doesn't mean more power. And if the clock speed performance for the chips are similar (we really have no real reference on this) between the Wii U (1.24ghz) and the PS4 (1.6ghz) then it isn't much of a leap at all actually. Also, the video cards are NOT vastly superior in the PS4 over the Wii U. What the PS4 does have going for it though is that it is using newer architecture, but that also means that the price will be reflected in that. The Wii U likely used older but updated architecture to keep the cost down, plus it is actually a hybrid of technology. People have said it looks like a Radeon rv7xx chip (radeon 4800 series chip). This could be true although the Wii U's uses a smaller die size which means you should be able to get more performance per watt as well as have less issues with heat. These chips were actually VERY good only a couple years ago and that was just as they were, with some tweaking and the smaller die size puts it right in competative midrange graphic capabilities to todays standards but with a much lower cost then latest technology. The PS4 uses a GPU that is new technology and supposed to be the equivelant of a just under 200 dollar GPU, but on an APU (CPU + GPU on same die) however with it being an APU it shares resources. In the end we will just have to wait and see what both are capable of because most of this is conjecture and theories.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.