By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UE4 Scaled down to run on PS4, why not Wii U?

platformmaster918 said:
Wait are those pics mixed up because the one on the right honestly looks better to me. Also I would never notice the differences if I were just playing a game and didn't have a side by side comparison. Oh well I'm happy with what PS4 can produce if that's it for gen 1 games.

That's something that happens to me all the time when I look at those comparison pics... I always mix the 2.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

it might not be called out at UE3 but if it quacks and floats on the water..

.......a witch??

By the way thread title reminds me of this guy:

It's official, Wii U is the Zoidberg of 8th gen.

"Coming soon to next-gen consoles, and also Wii U."

If that's how it looks scaled down on the PS4 then I would hate to see the Wii U's version lololol.

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

He was basically saying it would be pointless running more than E3 because the wiiU's power.

platformmaster918 said:
Wait are those pics mixed up because the one on the right honestly looks better to me. Also I would never notice the differences if I were just playing a game and didn't have a side by side comparison. Oh well I'm happy with what PS4 can produce if that's it for gen 1 games.

Its not a comparion video to say PS4 is inferior. I was just trying to make sense from everyone saying Wii U is too weak for UE4 when PS4 obviously has a downscaled version. If PS4 can handle a downscaled version then Wii U should be able to get one also.

Around the Network

it should be possible. Epic probably dont see the benefit of scaling UE4 to wiiU because they dont see a good business opportunity there.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

People need to realize that UE4 engine comprises of two main components, the Tool chain and the rendering pipeline. While the tool chain can be used on WiiU development mainly because it runs on computers and not the console, the rendering engine can't.

The UE4 rendering engine simply needs more powerful hardware to achieve the level of visuals which epic have set out to achieve, they’re after all a graphics engine middleware company.

All you need do is look at the engine running on PC, it requires a GTX680, which is a top of the line single core GPU running at 3.1 TF, while it has been customized to run on the PS4, which it in its self is reaches 1.84TF, the WiiU simply has no hope of running the same rendering engine considering that the WiiU only reaches about 400GF.

So much of the UE4 would have to be cut out to make the rendering engine work on the WiiU and then the best you'll get would be more equivalent to what the UE3 visually already produces versus what UE4 looks like on more significantly powerful hardware.

Frankly it's the law of diminishing returns on the WiiU's constrained hardware, I mean sure Epic could port the UE4 engine to the WiiU and have it look maybe marginally better than UE3 on the WiiU, but would this make business sense when you already have the UE3? I think not, and for this reason alone Epic have made the business decision to set the base level of UE4 on the PS4, Microsoft next console and mid-top end GPUs, meaning that lower specced machines like the PS3, 360, and WiiU will only get UE3 and not UE4.

Also I find the OP tittle funny, basically saying if the PS4 gets it why not the WiiU. Either his elevating the WiiU to the PS4 level, or brigining down the PS4 to WiiU level. But let’s face it; the largest dividing gap between the PS4 and WiiU is the sheer amount of ram. Assuming that PS4 reserves 1GB to OS, that gives the PS4 7GB of ram for a game to work on versus just 1GB on the WiiU.

Let’s put this into perspective so people understand the significance of this. The PS3 has just 512MB of ram, the 360 has 512MB + 10MB EDram, we now subtract the OS and PS3 comes down to 456MB (OS about 56MB ), 360 comes down two 490MB (512+10 minus 32MB OS). The 360 has 34MB extra for developers and this resulted in some multiplat games having slightly higher/sharper resolution textures on 360 versions of the same game, sites like Digital foundry and lens of truth did side by sides showing this. Most often than not the 360 had the slight advantage cuz of the extra ram, now imagine if we bump up the 34Mb difference to 7GB. We would be looking at essentially two different games which play the same.

I'm sorry to say but Nintendo fans need to accept that the WiiU has PS3/360 level hardware, it will not come close to matching Sony and Microsoft new consoles on the visual department. I understand that Nintendo fans aren't happy, and that they would like to think that the WiiU somehow can match the PS4 and Microsoft new console, I don't blame them after all Nintendo basically came out saying that the WiiU would be a power machine, that they'll have the definitive versions of call of duty and what not, and how they will be going after us the core gamer, but realistically that was a dream which was not realized on their hardware. It’s true that the WiiU is more powerful than the Wii, but Nintendo cannot live in the bubble they do, they have direct competition and need to zoom out to see the greater field.

My 2 cents.

Rant//
I'm a little annoyed at Nintendo fans in general, I may be generalizing a little, but the vocal minority will always make the rest look bad.

I always hear from Nintendo fans say how it's all about gameplay, how it's it's gameplay > graphics with no exception and this is why certain Wii games are supposedly better than PS3, 360 games making them games of the foreva, but then when Nintendo have the possibility of realizing a graphics capable machine all of a sudden the fans are ecstatic that a Nintendo machine can finally compete against other consoles, and how the bird tech demo and zelda tech demo where the best visuals ever. Some even saying that Sony and Microsoft could not make a more powerful console than the WiiU because of diminishing returns and how it would cost way way to much, saying it as if it where a known fact, and yet here we are with the PS4 with it's specs revealed and all of a sudden most Wii fans are defaulting back to their gameplay over graphics mantra with only the ultra hardcore Nintendo defending the WiiU specs at all cost, despite what is known. With time these people too will default back to the same gameplay over graphics mantra.

To me games are a interactive visual medium, both Graphics and Gameplay are important, and we live in a time where both can be achieved. Just think about the core of what we do with games, we constantly look at them as we receive visual input and we are constantly feeding input into the games through the controller, and because these are the two main things all of us do when playing games, then it stands to reason that both should be the best they can be. People need to remember that we are visual creatures; to say otherwise is to be disingenuous to your biology.

I understand fans will be fans, but truth and logic needs to prevail especially when facing all the available data, this spawns discussions rather than troll threads or derailed threads.

//Rant

Here's the thing; Reins said that if developers want to use UE4 for their games on Wii U, they are free to use it. That's cool, at least Epic will allow it to be used by other companies, even if they don't want to use it themselves. An another thing, a lot of developers have developed their own graphic engines for the 8th generation, so UE4 won't see as heavy use as UE3.

jake_the_fake1 said:

People need to realize that UE4 engine comprises of two main components, the Tool chain and the rendering pipeline. While the tool chain can be used on WiiU development mainly because it runs on computers and not the console, the rendering engine can't.

The UE4 rendering engine simply needs more powerful hardware to achieve the level of visuals which epic have set out to achieve, they’re after all a graphics engine middleware company.

All you need do is look at the engine running on PC, it requires a GTX680, which is a top of the line single core GPU running at 3.1 TF, while it has been customized to run on the PS4, which it in its self is reaches 1.84TF, the WiiU simply has no hope of running the same rendering engine considering that the WiiU only reaches about 400GF.

So much of the UE4 would have to be cut out to make the rendering engine work on the WiiU and then the best you'll get would be more equivalent to what the UE3 visually already produces versus what UE4 looks like on more significantly powerful hardware.

Frankly it's the law of diminishing returns on the WiiU's constrained hardware, I mean sure Epic could port the UE4 engine to the WiiU and have it look maybe marginally better than UE3 on the WiiU, but would this make business sense when you already have the UE3? I think not, and for this reason alone Epic have made the business decision to set the base level of UE4 on the PS4, Microsoft next console and mid-top end GPUs, meaning that lower specced machines like the PS3, 360, and WiiU will only get UE3 and not UE4.

Also I find the OP tittle funny, basically saying if the PS4 gets it why not the WiiU. Either his elevating the WiiU to the PS4 level, or brigining down the PS4 to WiiU level. But let’s face it; the largest dividing gap between the PS4 and WiiU is the sheer amount of ram. Assuming that PS4 reserves 1GB to OS, that gives the PS4 7GB of ram for a game to work on versus just 1GB on the WiiU.

Let’s put this into perspective so people understand the significance of this. The PS3 has just 512MB of ram, the 360 has 512MB + 10MB EDram, we now subtract the OS and PS3 comes down to 456MB (OS about 56MB ), 360 comes down two 490MB (512+10 minus 32MB OS). The 360 has 34MB extra for developers and this resulted in some multiplat games having slightly higher/sharper resolution textures on 360 versions of the same game, sites like Digital foundry and lens of truth did side by sides showing this. Most often than not the 360 had the slight advantage cuz of the extra ram, now imagine if we bump up the 34Mb difference to 7GB. We would be looking at essentially two different games which play the same.

I'm sorry to say but Nintendo fans need to accept that the WiiU has PS3/360 level hardware, it will not come close to matching Sony and Microsoft new consoles on the visual department. I understand that Nintendo fans aren't happy, and that they would like to think that the WiiU somehow can match the PS4 and Microsoft new console, I don't blame them after all Nintendo basically came out saying that the WiiU would be a power machine, that they'll have the definitive versions of call of duty and what not, and how they will be going after us the core gamer, but realistically that was a dream which was not realized on their hardware. It’s true that the WiiU is more powerful than the Wii, but Nintendo cannot live in the bubble they do, they have direct competition and need to zoom out to see the greater field.

My 2 cents.

Rant//
I'm a little annoyed at Nintendo fans in general, I may be generalizing a little, but the vocal minority will always make the rest look bad.

I always hear from Nintendo fans say how it's all about gameplay, how it's it's gameplay > graphics with no exception and this is why certain Wii games are supposedly better than PS3, 360 games making them games of the foreva, but then when Nintendo have the possibility of realizing a graphics capable machine all of a sudden the fans are ecstatic that a Nintendo machine can finally compete against other consoles, and how the bird tech demo and zelda tech demo where the best visuals ever. Some even saying that Sony and Microsoft could not make a more powerful console than the WiiU because of diminishing returns and how it would cost way way to much, saying it as if it where a known fact, and yet here we are with the PS4 with it's specs revealed and all of a sudden most Wii fans are defaulting back to their gameplay over graphics mantra with only the ultra hardcore Nintendo defending the WiiU specs at all cost, despite what is known. With time these people too will default back to the same gameplay over graphics mantra.

To me games are a interactive visual medium, both Graphics and Gameplay are important, and we live in a time where both can be achieved. Just think about the core of what we do with games, we constantly look at them as we receive visual input and we are constantly feeding input into the games through the controller, and because these are the two main things all of us do when playing games, then it stands to reason that both should be the best they can be. People need to remember that we are visual creatures; to say otherwise is to be disingenuous to your biology.

I understand fans will be fans, but truth and logic needs to prevail especially when facing all the available data, this spawns discussions rather than troll threads or derailed threads.

//Rant

This is a lot ot read lol, be concise :).

Just a couple things:

1.The Wii U has already been showned to be more powerful than the 360 and the PS3, by 1.5-3 times depending on who you ask. So its visuals are beyond that level, it might not show in ports of 7th generation games, but when the games that are developed for the Wii U come it will show.

2. I remember Sony saying the OS will take up 2 GB at thier conference, and some of the other feautres will use 1-2 more, so games will have 5-4 GB.

3.The difference between the Wii, and PS3 was something like 20 to 1 I think in turns of graphic power. If look at the Wii U compared to the PS4, its much closer at 8 to 1. The point being that its not quite the same sitiution as With the Wii.

4. I know a lot of  Nintendo fans beat the gameplay argument to dead, but by the same coin Sony/MS fans use the "its albout the graphics" line, and that is annoying as well.

I see most of what your saying.

The truth is there aren't enough licensees that want Wii U support and none of Epics internal teams are interested in developing for the platform so it would be a waste of their time and money to add support in UE4 when UE3 already is designed for that level of hardware.

If enough of their customers requested support they would create a new renderer for the Wii U just like they will for next gen mobile devices tho it wouldn't offer all the features that actually make UE4 interesting vs UE3 anyway so it would have to be a lot. That is not going to happen and if one or two devs want to bring their UE4 games to Wii U they could create their own renderer from scratch and plug it into UE4 if they really wanted.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!