By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The WiiU has no competition yet. (Real War starts at october)

Does it?

Yes, the PS3 and Xbox360. 119 55.61%

No until the big boys arrive (Ps4, NextBox). 76 35.51%

I love Louis C.K. 19 8.88%

Total:214

Well, if they don;'t have competition yet, then I am really nervous for them later this year.

Around the Network
chris_wing said:

Yes, it's a different ecconomic environment now, but the PS3 & Xbox continue to move healthy numbers of units every week while the Wii U largely continues to be ignored, even at a price in the same range as the others, around $300.

The numbers may look healthy compared to WiiU, but overall PS3 & 360 sales are currently down yoy.

Overall February retail sales dropped 25% year over year, hardware sales are down 36% in the US. -  source

foxtail said:
chris_wing said:

Yes, it's a different ecconomic environment now, but the PS3 & Xbox continue to move healthy numbers of units every week while the Wii U largely continues to be ignored, even at a price in the same range as the others, around $300.

The numbers may look healthy compared to WiiU, but overall PS3 & 360 sales are currently down yoy.

Overall February retail sales dropped 25% year over year, hardware sales are down 36% in the US. -  source

Yes, we are nearing the release of the proper next generation console jump, to systems with vastly improved graphics and abbilities (scale, AI, physics etc.) so it's understandable the PS360 would be down year over year, also because everyone who wants one of those has one,... mostly..

The Wii U, well, what's it's excuse, besides few good games and graphics/abbilities virtually on par with PS360?

PS360 is the competition.

I think the fact that the next PS and Xbox won't have b/c is due to the fact that they wont' want to compete with themselves. They want people to buy games they CAN'T get on a PS360.

At the moment the Wii U doesn't offer many games and those that it does offer are PS360 ports or just more of the same as with NSMBU.

The Wii U is in the same market as PS360, but it has a different target audience. Consumers buying PS360 today are most likely not interest in buying next gen systems around launch. It's hardcore gamers buying the Wii U and eventually the PS4 and XBOX GOLD while casuals are stuck in last gen. The Wii U is having problems because last gen Nintendo sacrificed a lot of its hardcore audience in order to resonate better with casuals. The Wii was always in competition with GameCube, PS2, and XBOX.

Once PS4 and XBOX GOLD arrive the hardcore gamers will have a choice. "Do I buy a Wii U or a PS4? Maybe I'll go GOLD." That's when the battle starts.

Around the Network
chris_wing said:

The Wii U, well, what's it's excuse, besides few good games and graphics/abbilities virtually on par with PS360?

Sales are pretty poor and Nintendo need to make changes fix the situation.   But if you ignore games, then I think it's mostly price and to an extent consumer awareness that are the problem. 

70% of Wii U's sold are the Deluxe models priced at $350.  That entry price is still too high for the average Nintendo customer though.  Even the original Wii has been outselling the Wii U in the USA until recently because the Wii is way cheaper and has some old games people want to play.  Nintendo also needs to do a better job at differentiating the two consoles and give Wii owners a reason to upgrade, but that $350 price is still a stumbling block.  They need to have a better marketing campaign that shows what the Wii U is and what you can do with it.  They need add better value for the Deluxe model with more bundles or a price drop.

I don't think it's likely that Nintendo will do anything with price or marketing till after they show their new games at E3.

foxtail said:
chris_wing said:

Sales are pretty poor and Nintendo need to make changes fix the situation.   But if you ignore games, then I think it's mostly price and to a lesser extent consumer awareness that are the problem. 

70% of Wii U's sold are the Deluxe models priced at $350.  That entry price is still too high for the average Nintendo customer.  Even the original Wii has been outselling the Wii U in the USA until recently because the Wii is way cheaper and has some old games people still want to play.  Nintendo also needs to do a better job at differentiating the two consoles and give Wii owners a reason to upgrade, but that $350 price is a major stumbling block.  They need to have a better marketing campaign that shows what the Wii U is and what you can do with it.  They need add better value for the Deluxe model with more bundles or a price drop.

I don't think it's likely that Nintendo will do anything with price or marketing till after they show their new games at E3.

At which point (after E3) the NextBox & PS4 will also be pushing hard with marketing.  It seems, to me atleast, that Nintendo has completely botched the only advantage they had with the Wii U, the one year head start.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc (ie Nintendo's pimp hand) have not been properly utilized to showcase the new platform.  It will be an up hill battle to convince people that a handfull of Nintendo 1st party games deserve your time & money when they see the advances the competion is making with their hardware.

Also the perseption that the Wii U is dieing on the starting blocks won't help consumer confidence any this summer & beyond.