By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Greek football player banned for life for Nazi salute.

Is a life ban for Nazi salute, too harsh?

Yes. Political correctness is to blame. 114 54.55%

No. He deserved the life ban. 47 22.49%

No. He got away lightly. 14 6.70%

Do not care. 32 15.31%

Total:207
Zappykins said:
Goatseye said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
People should be able to freely express their opinions and views. Political correctness is censorship that opposes freedom of speech and censorship does not belong in a true democracy.

Excuse me buddy but Democracy is not similar to anarchy. If your freedom of speech obstruct my freedom and rights than it ceases to be a part of democracy. True democracy never harbors fascism and a sign that supports ethnic cleansing and etc... democracy is not all about rights, thats why it's so f***** up and nobody got it right yet. Democracy is about exercing duties also to promote the well being of the "demos". Freedom is not free and thank goodness.

You are correct, but allow me to explain as a US Citizen we get abit over zealous about our freedom of speech - that any perceived limitation is a total threat to our way of life.  It's really popular here, and I think I have been guilty of it too.

We hear about censoring, in other countries like Canada, and see it as it as a completely loss of freedom.  In reality we live with plenty limitations of free speech:

You can't yell 'fire!' in a movie theater, you can't 'I am going to punch you' (liable), and 'let's all get together and kill the people in that house over there.'

Also, the Nazi were so long ago, I think people forget how bad people were to each other.  It’s was many, many people, doing many wicked things, to lots of people.  I hope as a society humanity doesn’t ever let a big group get that bad again.

I don't think I am going to punch you is liable...

Anyway.  Outside that, freedom of speech doesn't even enter the equation.

Someone is free to do a nazi salute.   Then their boss is free to fire them.

This doesn't magically change because the guy's boss is the government.

Being a player greek national team is a government job... which means the government can hire and fire whoever they want for whatever reason they want.

If someone in the US' Internal Revenue Service said "Fuck blacks and jews hitler rules!" you can bet they would be fired... and no amount of citing the first ammendment would get his job back.

Not even a government union is that strong.

Around the Network

Fair. Nazis are 99% criminals.

Performing the Nazi salute and saying Heil Hitler and Sieg Heil is harmless fun.

spurgeonryan said:
@ two posters who quoted me.

I.....have never seen a Nazi. So..... like ghosts and chupacabras I thought they were extinct. Sorry. The next time I am 10,000 dollars richer I will take a trip to Germany to see how much they supposedly have not changed over the years.

You don't even have to go that far - check out Idaho or Orange County, California.  They have some rather obvious groups there.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
spurgeonryan said:
@ two posters who quoted me.

I.....have never seen a Nazi. So..... like ghosts and chupacabras I thought they were extinct. Sorry. The next time I am 10,000 dollars richer I will take a trip to Germany to see how much they supposedly have not changed over the years.

You don't even have to go that far - check out Idaho or Orange County, California.  They have some rather obvious groups there.

We have Xrysh Aygh in Greece (Golden Dawn).

I, and many many others hate them.

Seems way too harsh. A better solution is to bring the dog to heel in front of the populace and make an example of him.