By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is the 8th Gen Already dead?

It's all due to the technological steps and "general engine" game software development. As long as there are "layers", things are easier to keep cross-gen. Ignoring better graphics and physics there's nothing "new" on the horizon.

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network

Hmm...I must have missed the BF PS4 announcement. Nothing on the website about it. I also expect one of the two games (MGSV) to go to PS4/720, but nothing official yet. My apologies if I did miss this news?

Similarly, I missed out a load of games to try and support the OP, because do you really think the 8th gen is dead? It'll be a tough start for sure, but dead? Indeed, there's plenty willing to move on in gaming forums, but I'm unsure of the wider picture is the same.

People need to stop being so defensive. It's rather frustrating posting any comment which is perhaps slightly negative towards a company (be it Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or all of them) and getting all sorts of responses which just come off as aggressive (even if they aren't meant to be). I don't mean to cause offence to anyone, obviously, but I've noticed a lot more arguments nowadays than, say, 12 months ago. And I don't know why.

Anyway, to get back on topic, it's pretty tricky to tell just what will happen. There's never been a scenario like this before, and possibly not again. It should be interesting to see, though!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Hmm...I must have missed the BF PS4 announcement. Nothing on the website about it. I also expect one of the two games (MGSV) to go to PS4/720, but nothing official yet. My apologies if I did miss this news

The threads are in top topics minutes ago

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=157710
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=157738

ethomaz said:
Conegamer said:
Hmm...I must have missed the BF PS4 announcement. Nothing on the website about it. I also expect one of the two games (MGSV) to go to PS4/720, but nothing official yet. My apologies if I did miss this news

The threads are in top topics minutes ago

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=157710
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=157738

Fair enough then. I know which version Ill be getting!

In future I will be sure to check more than just the official site

It's a perfectly normal trend and for a while PS360 will also have the best selling versions of popular series like Call of Duty and Assasin's Creed.

For example, Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock,  which was released in October 2007 (so almost a year after PS3/Wii) had the PS2 version outsell all the others. So I wouldn't be surprised if CoD 2014 sells better on the PS360 than on PS4/NextBox.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Conegamer said:
Hmm...I must have missed the BF PS4 announcement. Nothing on the website about it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/battlefield-4-ps4-release-confirmed-by-ea-official

A simple Google search yielded an instant result. ;)

Yeah, as I mentioned above it seems to be everywhere. Honestly don't know how I missed it now...but it's good news. Nice to see the transistion to next generation beginning, though no doubt it will be a slow process. 

My apologies for the error.

This is actually the first generation something like this happens. Rememeber last Generation games like GTA 4 and Metal Gear don't come out for the last Generation consoles, GTA 4 should have been a game in the releas window for at first only ps3 than it was delayed an came at the end for PS3 and Xbox 360 and MGS 4 was even more a exclusive in Ps 3s releas window.
This time it is completly different the publishers stay with the old consoles instead of focusing on the new consoles with the big AAA games.
There seems to be indeed a change.

TheLastStarFighter said:
This is the most bizzare transition of generations ever. The over-engineering of the gen 7 machines mean they can still play great games. The new machines don't offere a clear, definitive difference in gaming as in the past. It's an upgrade process that will take a long time.

This is the point there is not even a real big graphically gap from the old systems to the new systems this time. Publishers could make pobaobly the wohle next generation games for the new and the old systems with only minor differences.

In my opinion, the PS2 was more of a "hindrance" to last gen compared to the Wii, XB360, or PS3. It seemed like no developers wanted to stop developing for the PS2 and they all felt like it was a safe place to put their games.

I doubt the XB720 or PS4 will have that long of a time between generation exclusive games to start showing up. (Of course you aren't going to see them right now. The PS4 was just announced, the XB720 hasn't even been announced, and there has been no E3 showing.)

NintendoPie said:
In my opinion, the PS2 was more of a "hindrance" to last gen compared to the Wii, XB360, or PS3. It seemed like no developers wanted to stop developing for the PS2 and they all felt like it was a safe place to put their games.

I doubt the XB720 or PS4 will have that long of a time between generation exclusive games to start showing up. (Of course you aren't going to see them right now. The PS4 was just announced, the XB720 hasn't even been announced, and there has been no E3 showing.)

bullshit the big AAA games stoped immediately for ps 2 at the moment when Xbox 360 and Ps3 was on the market. GTA, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy came all only for the new 360 and PS3 consoles, it is completly different this time.