By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is the 8th Gen Already dead?

after the MGS5 event yesterday it had me thinking a bit.. why is MGS5 on Ps3 and X360? if it was also on PS4 they probably would have announced that as we are all aware of the platform. 

Then i thought about Battlefield 4 which will be on PS3, X360, PS4 & Xbox3. the more casual gamer who would buy ths game probably wouldnt get a next gen system when they could just play it on there current system. 

This also goes with Assassin's Creed, Cod ect... 

as long as these publishers support current gen why go over to next? i rember the transition from Ps1 to Ps2 and PS2 to PS3 and not that many games where on both. there was crossover titles but not in alarminging large numbers. 

do you think the transition from 7th to 8th will take a long time? maybe not even at all for some? 

Around the Network

It's normal that publishers support even current consoles, they have to sell games and they can't just abandon the current generation and go into the next one (where just a few consoles have been sold, at the beginning).

The same thing happened from PS2 to PS3, for example.

Oh yes there were many cross-gen titles and it took a couple of years until the next-gen versions started outselling the old-gen ones if I'm thinking right. It's normal.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

PS4 will be a 9th gen console.

The transitions between generations are something that always takes some time. It's normal for these big franchises to be launching on proven platforms with large established user bases, because these companies still need steady income in order to keep their balance sheets clean and finance the riskier projects on new platforms.

Around the Network

Thought this was gunna be another discussion about the wiiU.

Anyways its normal, 3rd party devs want will make more money from releasing it to the higher install base of the ps3 then the ps4. We will still be getting 3rd party games on the ps3 even 2-3 years from now.....Just look at the ps2 it was still getting games in 2012.

It was the same last gen and nothing bad happened, right?

I'm afraid so. The PS4 was announced a month ago, and it hasn't even sold a single unit yet. Microsoft never even announced a next Xbox, so presumably they've dropped out of the console race altogether. And the Wii U, well... we all know about that one.

It's over, guys. Cellphones, here I come!

The 8th generation is ok.
We should worry about the next generation. People won´t be spending money on highly-priced consoles anymore, be them home or portable.

PlaystaionGamer said:

after the MGS5 event yesterday it had me thinking a bit.. why is MGS5 on Ps3 and X360? if it was also on PS4 they probably would have announced that as we are all aware of the platform. 

Then i thought about Battlefield 4 which will be on PS3, X360, PS4 & Xbox3. the more casual gamer who would buy ths game probably wouldnt get a next gen system when they could just play it on there current system. 

This also goes with Assassin's Creed, Cod ect... 

as long as these publishers support current gen why go over to next? i rember the transition from Ps1 to Ps2 and PS2 to PS3 and not that many games where on both. there was crossover titles but not in alarminging large numbers. 

do you think the transition from 7th to 8th will take a long time? maybe not even at all for some? 

The games will look dire on the old systems and will be watered down versions. They did this with a few games from the PS2/xbox to PS3/360 jump. When people see just how different the games look and play, they will upgrdae.