By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is the 8th Gen Already dead?

CGI-Quality said:
Nem said:
CGI-Quality said:
Conegamer said:
Yeah, could be a while. Saints Row, Battlefield, MGS all skipping next gen. Only games which are cross gen are COD, Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed right now. People are just too happy with this gen, and why shouldn't they be?

It'll be rough for the Wii U, PS4 and NextBox, that's for sure.

Battlefield is confirmed for PS4 and MGS hasn't been ruled out. You're definitely reading too much into the OP. PLENTY of people are ready to move on.

You misinterpret "plenty" for "the hardcore".

False. Before we even get to anecdote, just have a look at any game site. Not everyone ready for a new gen has to be "hardcore" (one of the most overused terms I've encountered).

Very well, you can knit-pick if you want. But it doesnt change the fact that "plenty" isnt the case. The vocal minority in the internet does not represent the majority of sales. Most people dont bother with gaming websites like we do. At best they check review scores.

Around the Network

All news games will be released to PS4... BattleField 4, MGS V (I'm sure), etc...

Day one buy here.

PlaystaionGamer said:

after the MGS5 event yesterday it had me thinking a bit.. why is MGS5 on Ps3 and X360? if it was also on PS4 they probably would have announced that as we are all aware of the platform. 

Then i thought about Battlefield 4 which will be on PS3, X360, PS4 & Xbox3. the more casual gamer who would buy ths game probably wouldnt get a next gen system when they could just play it on there current system. 

This also goes with Assassin's Creed, Cod ect... 

as long as these publishers support current gen why go over to next? i rember the transition from Ps1 to Ps2 and PS2 to PS3 and not that many games where on both. there was crossover titles but not in alarminging large numbers. 

do you think the transition from 7th to 8th will take a long time? maybe not even at all for some? 

No, it is not dead by a long shot, but it will be the longest transistion in Video Game history.  Everyone expecting PS4s to fly off the shelves will be sorely dissapointed.  It may or may not outperform the Wii U but in the end, most of the biggest games will remain cross-gens for at least 2 more years. 

The transition will happen though, but the dynamics of the industry are changing.

Think about how long we got ports of many major games on PS2 years after PS3 was released. It will take some time but the transition will happen. This is where 1st party support starts getting the ball rolling until 3rd parties can get on board fully.

It's gonna be much better than the PS3 launch, at least. Having a couple of 1st party games from proven franchises plus a lot of multi-million selling multiplatform games is better than having a couple of alright new first party IPs and nothing else for months.

That said, I fully expect PS360 to outsell next gen consoles for about 1 year as usual (perhaps a bit shorter because this gen was overlong), so I hope no one expects unbelieveable sales out of the gate.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

God if War 2 and FFXII released in 2007 in Europe around the PS3 launch. Various other games such as just cause and tomb raider came out on Ps2 and 360 around the same time. It common practice.

This is the most bizzare transition of generations ever. The over-engineering of the gen 7 machines mean they can still play great games. The new machines don't offere a clear, definitive difference in gaming as in the past. It's an upgrade process that will take a long time.

TheLastStarFighter said:
This is the most bizzare transition of generations ever. The over-engineering of the gen 7 machines mean they can still play great games. The new machines don't offere a clear, definitive difference in gaming as in the past. It's an upgrade process that will take a long time.

lol what? The PS3-PS4 gap is bigger than PS2-PS3 gap IMO.

TheLastStarFighter said:

lol what? The PS3-PS4 gap is bigger than PS2-PS3 gap IMO.

Killzone Shadown Fall is better than any launch PS3 game compared to previous generation.

Didn't Sony release God of War 2 for the PS2 4 months after the PS3 released?

Plus isn't there a strong rumor that the next Call of Duty will be 8th gen only? I can't see this happening because it will loose over 10 million sales, but it's a rumor.

As for MGSV, Beyond, TLoU, GTA V, and other late comers to PS3, some of these games have 3 years or longer development times, PS4 dev kits have only been around for what 12-18 months? Devs can't just adapt their project to the next gen, and with 160 million PS3/360's, any game released on a 7th gen platform will surely sell better.

I am surprised that a lot of games aren't seeing ports on the PS4/Nextbox though, but I guess devs don't want to make it look like they aren't trying, and when a PS3 game is ported to the PS4, it just won't look as good as a dedicated PS4/High spec PC game like Killzone or Battlefield.

-----

Either way, this just gives you time to think about which HD platform you're getting next gen, and lets their initial appeal/aticipation die off. It also gives you a chance to finish what you have right now, and not feel like you're playing an outdated device.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results