By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I am now without any health coverage. Anyone have tips/resources to survive?

Ok, I am thinking of becoming like Jerry Lewis in France. Design enough games, get one to hit big somewhere, then emigrate to that country and become a national idol. Get health coverage as part of deal. In short, the lottery ticket model of living.

Around the Network

STDs are no fun without any health coverage

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Why not get a bare-bones, higher deductible plan? That way, you're paying a very low premium for disaster protection, and if something does happen, the bills are limited to the deductible which will give you a manageable bill to put on payments in the worst-case. That's what insurance is for anyway, to avoid financial ruin in a disaster (not to pay for maintenance). You don't expect car insurance to cover oil changes and new tires, so get a health insurance policy that works more like car insurance.

EDIT: I'm not sure what prices are like there, but in Georgia I could get a basic plan for myself between $50-$75/month with a deductible in the $3,500-$10,000 range. Some of those even provide a low co-pay for the first 3 check-ups of the year (you shouldn't need more check-ups than that). Check out ehealthinsurance.com or a site like it (that's where I bought my family's coverage). We currently pay under $400/mo for a family of four.

timmah said:

Why not get a bare-bones, higher deductible plan? That way, you're paying a very low premium for disaster protection, and if something does happen, the bills are limited to the deductible which will give you a manageable bill to put on payments in the worst-case. That's what insurance is for anyway, to avoid financial ruin in a disaster (not to pay for maintenance). You don't expect car insurance to cover oil changes and new tires, so get a health insurance policy that works more like car insurance.

EDIT: I'm not sure what prices are like there, but in Georgia I could get a basic plan for myself between $50-$75/month with a deductible in the $3,500-$10,000 range. Some of those even provide a low co-pay for the first 3 check-ups of the year (you shouldn't need more check-ups than that). Check out ehealthinsurance.com or a site like it (that's where I bought my family's coverage). We currently pay under $400/mo for a family of four.

The barebones one I ended up missing for at work was like $250 a month.  

Move to a country that gives a shit.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, you can't really do much. Odds are, whatever happens to you isn't going to be your fault.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
timmah said:

The barebones one I ended up missing for at work was like $250 a month.  

Well, you're in a state run by the Dems for a long time, so your insurance costs are crazy high. Here in GA (and in most southern states) decent insurance is pretty cheap and we actually have a lot of options. I did a search here and got 97 plans starting at $48, did a search in NY and got 16 plans starting at $170 (for one that only covers hospitalization!!). I didn't realize the price desparity was that high! Apparently NY regulates what types of plans can be sold, so you basically don't have any affordable options. I'm sure I'll be in the same boat when the federal mandates kick in (I can't afford rates like that for 4 people), so we'll both be uninsured! Yay!

My best advice, and what I use my self and tell others around me in the same situation, is to look for free clinics, or sliding scale clinics, and ask all of your local churches for help, whether you attend them or not they are often willing help. I dont have insurance my self and I have no issues yet, but I am younger and not into the part of my life were I will have issues yet. But check out all the free clinics. what county do you live in in New York, I will do some searches and see what I can find. with out knowing what county this is one of the places i found.

http://www.institute2000.org/health-care/services/free-clinics-for-the-uninsured/

Since you are 40, you need to exercise a lot (but do not get into exercise accidents) and eat healthy food. Oh wait I would recommend that for anyone.

just out of curiosity how much on average do Americans pay for health insurance per person and does it cover all health things like doctors visit or just hospital related stuff.

yum123 said:
just out of curiosity how much on average do Americans pay for health insurance per person and does it cover all health things like doctors visit or just hospital related stuff.

I have not a clue on average, only thing I know is me. But since I became 18 I have not went to the hospital once so nothing :). If you do have health insurance it is 20$ a visit.