By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans Same Excuse?

curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

I am talking about SUCCESSFUL EXCLUSIVES THAT HELP PUSH A CONSOLE (and which were new and original, not part of an old and popular series eg. GT or FF)

If that's the case, then PS2 barely had any either, its big hitters were almost all franchises dating back to older generations, like Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, and Metal Gear Solid, Madden, etc.

GTA 3 was a complete reboot - going from 2D top down to the first open world 3D game was major and changed the market. DMC, ICO series, Killzone, Red Faction, GoW are a few that come to mind as being massive, original, successful AAA series. 

It is amazing how you folks are warping reality as I've been over this before, yet here we are again, at the same place where you just can't admit that Nintendo franchises are mainly the same game with minor changes or just flops. Why else is no other console owner bothered about not being able to play Mario 59 or Zelda 10, but see what would happen if you told them they can't play Halo 5, Killzone 4, or GTA 5......^^

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

I am talking about SUCCESSFUL EXCLUSIVES THAT HELP PUSH A CONSOLE (and which were new and original, not part of an old and popular series eg. GT or FF)

If that's the case, then PS2 barely had any either, its big hitters were almost all franchises dating back to older generations, like Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, and Metal Gear Solid, Madden, etc.

GTA 3 was a complete reboot - going from 2D top down to the first open world 3D game was major and changed the market. DMC, ICO series, Killzone, Red Faction, GoW are a few that come to mind as being massive, original, successful AAA series. 

It is amazing how you folks are warping reality as I've been over this before, yet here we are again, at the same place where you just can't admit that Nintendo franchises are mainly the same game with minor changes or just flops. Why else is no other console owner bothered about not being able to play Mario 59 or Zelda 10, but see what would happen if you told them they can't play Halo 5, Killzone 4, or GTA 5......^^

GTA3 being a reboot doesn't magically change the fact that it's an existing franchise. ICO wasn't massive, nor was Killzone, and Red faction isn't an exclusive.

I see no reason to admit something that's not true. And I love how you claim GTA3 was a "major" change while claiming that franchises like Mario and Zelda, whose changes have been even bigger, are "minor" changes. Then again, you seem to have a vendetta against Nintendo, so I'm not surprised.

And many gamers wouldn't care if they weren't able to play games like Halo 5 or Killzone 4.

"Bang, bang, shoot, shoot. I am a success. Discuss."

People STILL talk about OOT and Mario YEARS after release. Do you think people will still be saying "Well, my favourite game of all time is Halo X" in years to come? Umm, no. People STILL play and love Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 YEARS after their release. That is a cultural icon. OOT is STILL considered one of the greatest ever made. It's 2013. That was released in 1998. This will not happen with Halo. Or GTA. Not to say those aren't great games (I've not played them) but they don't have a return to factor or a nostalgia factor that Nintendo consistently bring.

oniyide said:
noname2200 said:
oniyide said:

Sony didnt smear anybody with anything, stop it.

You're not honestly asserting...

Actually, let me take a step back. What, exactly, are you asserting here?

if you read the whole thing, you would see. He made a statement about how SOny had a smear campaign calling GC kiddie. Unless someone could find me a commercial where they did that, it if false. Ninty gave themself that image, if we are being honest

Okay. Yes. You were asserting that. Thought so.

I presume you are relatively young, and were not paying attention to The Console Wars in the early and mid-90's, when Sega started the "Nintendo is kiddy" campaign and Sony ran with it later.  It's like challenging the idea that Sega and Nintendo took frequent potshots at each other in their ads. And no, I'm not going to waste the time it takes to track down clips or copies of 90's commercials for you. Of course, age isn't an excuse: it's not like they've stopped, dude.

AgentZorn said:
KingHades said:
AgentZorn said:
KingHades said:
snyps said:
am i the only one that thinks dvd functionality is what slaughtered ps2's competition? When ps2 released there was no games for it. But ppl drove up the install base by purchasing it to play dvds. The large install base gave developers reason to get working. Its a perfect storm.

Yes I do think people bought it for the DVD,but you can also say a hefty bunch bought it for the games.

The software sales justify this almost every third party game was guarenteed to sell atleast 1mil on the PS2 if not over 900k atleast lol.

I still think that the PS2 being a DVD player is what made it so succesful. The average person would have had much more use for a DVD player than a video game console.

To be honest the PS2 would have outsold the GameCube regardless of the DVD player.

True, there were more things going against the GC, like being a "kiddy" console and Yamauchi burning the bridge with 3rd parties. However, I still stand by what I say  and I think that the PS4 will stagger at launch without the help of new optical media.

I agree with this assessment. I think all of the consoles (Wii U, PS4, XB720) aren't really offering anything drastically new to expand their audiences.

Sony and MS will take a userbase hit due to Nintendo fans not needing 2 systems this gen to have an HD system, and Nintendo will take a hit by moving away from their large casual fanbase via awkward, archaic thumbstick controls.

Overall, the gaming undustry is in for a large slump.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
And many gamers wouldn't care if they weren't able to play games like Halo 5 or Killzone 4.

I'm not too sure about Killzone but many people bought Xbox 360s for Halo 3 and even 360 slims for Reach most likely they'll do the same for the Next Xbox when Halo 5 comes out

D-Minaj225 said:

I'm not too sure about Killzone but many people bought Xbox 360s for Halo 3 and even 360 slims for Reach most likely they'll do the same for the Next Xbox when Halo 5 comes out

Just like lots of people bought a Wii for the likes of Brawl and Twilight Princess, and will buy a Wii U for the next Zelda and Smash Bros U, and many people bought a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5 and will get a PS4 for GT7. But not everyone likes those franchises, and not everyone likes Halo.

noname2200 said:
oniyide said:
noname2200 said:
oniyide said:

Sony didnt smear anybody with anything, stop it.

You're not honestly asserting...

Actually, let me take a step back. What, exactly, are you asserting here?

if you read the whole thing, you would see. He made a statement about how SOny had a smear campaign calling GC kiddie. Unless someone could find me a commercial where they did that, it if false. Ninty gave themself that image, if we are being honest

Okay. Yes. You were asserting that. Thought so.

I presume you are relatively young, and were not paying attention to The Console Wars in the early and mid-90's, when Sega started the "Nintendo is kiddy" campaign and Sony ran with it later.  It's like challenging the idea that Sega and Nintendo took frequent potshots at each other in their ads. And no, I'm not going to waste the time it takes to track down clips or copies of 90's commercials for you. Of course, age isn't an excuse: it's not like they've stopped, dude.

1. im not young, had a Genesis was there for all of that

2. Sega is not Sony, so what they did was moot

3. Sony did have their kiddy campaigin...with the PS1, wouldnt call it kiddie

4. PS2 is a different gen. So show me where they were doing the Ninty is kiddie thing in those years? Commercials? No they werent they were already soundly whupping their ass. their was no need for them to waste money on such a campaign. You have nothing to back up your claims. So lets not hide behind "I dont have time" you can go to Youtube and find footage at the drop of a hat, im doing so right now.

curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

GTA3 being a reboot doesn't magically change the fact that it's an existing franchise. ICO wasn't massive, nor was Killzone, and Red faction isn't an exclusive.

I see no reason to admit something that's not true. And I love how you claim GTA3 was a "major" change while claiming that franchises like Mario and Zelda, whose changes have been even bigger, are "minor" changes. Then again, you seem to have a vendetta against Nintendo, so I'm not surprised.

GTA 3 was so different and revolutionary, it may as well been a reboot. Name me one Nintendo game that has spawned a sequel that different and revolutionary. Ico series is still to this day known as one the best. Killzone is big enough to know be a launch title, and Red Faction WAS a PS2 exclusive. Now stop warping reality.

Mario and Zelda have had minor to no changes! How were any GC Zeldas radically different to Ocorina of Time? Oh wait, they were not. Did any game copy it? Nope. This is why you don't mention any of the changes they made or they did not change the genre. How unsurprising.

Well look at the GT series or Uncharted. Or how about MGS? Oh, and you're simply in utter denial about Halo...the BIGGEST selling Halo exclusive series, so go don your dunce hat as you have earnt it with your reply.

TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
curl-6 said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

GTA 3 was so different and revolutionary, it may as well been a reboot. Name me one Nintendo game that has spawned a sequel that different and revolutionary. Ico series is still to this day known as one the best. Killzone is big enough to know be a launch title, and Red Faction WAS a PS2 exclusive. Now stop warping reality.

Mario and Zelda have had minor to no changes! How were any GC Zeldas radically different to Ocorina of Time? Oh wait, they were not. Did any game copy it? Nope. This is why you don't mention any of the changes they made or they did not change the genre. How unsurprising.

Well look at the GT series or Uncharted. Or how about MGS? Oh, and you're simply in utter denial about Halo...the BIGGEST selling Halo exclusive series, so go don your dunce hat as you have earnt it with your reply.

Mario 64 was vastly more revolutionary than GTA3; not just 2D to 3D, but linear to open world, the introduction of puzzle solving, laying down the mechnical foundations that most 3D games follow today.

Zelda has undergone major changes to its structure, its controls, its art style, its tone, GTA's biggest change was 2D to 3D, a change numerous other franchises have undergone, including Zelda.

GT and Uncharted's gameplay has not changed significantly since their inception.

And Halo the biggest exclusive series? Reality check, bro, Mario Kart Wii has sold about 3 times as much as the highest selling Halo. It's you who's earned a dunce cap.