By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Put a fork in the Wii U, it is done. [Sensible discussion only, no flaming]

reggin_bolas said:
binary solo said:
I think 50 million is doable. But considering PS3 doing 55-65% of PS2 is regarded as abject failure by those who like to see the worst in things, especially anything Sony. Wii U doing 50% of Wii should be seen in the same light.

However, potential should be taken into account. PS3 had the potential to sell upwards of 120 million, but it ended up being handicapped by various factors. I never thought Wii U had Wii-like sales potential, purely for the reason that millions of people who've never bought a console in their life bought a Wii, and the likelihood of that segment of the Wii market becoming multi-generation console owners was always pretty low.

The people who will buy a Wii U are: hard out Nintendo fans (25 million); the multi / all console crowd (10 million?); some of the Wii's blue ocean crowd (10 million); and 5 million more for good measure. Anything substantially more than that is gravy for the Wii U. So Nintendo's job really is to bring Wii U to per unit profitability ASAP so they can get the vast majority of Wii U's sold at a profit, not relying on people buying at least one game to turn a profit.

Actually, I think you are grossly overestimating the potential. Sure, there are die hard fans that will buy no matter what junk they shove into the market. But really, minimum 25 million? Absolutely not. That's the total sales for the entire life cycle if you are lucky.

Just wait another year for PS4/Nextbox to hit the market. I believe this is the end of Nintendo as a dominant player in the industry. I believe the abject failure of the Wii U will force the company into restructuring ala Sega. They will keep dominion in the handheld market but they will also eject themselves from mainstream console competition. Don't be surprised if you see Mario and Zelda on PS5.

Yep, I think Nintendo's base support is 25 million.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
JakDaSnack said:

"I can't even make out you are saying anymore.  I meant 2 million for the year.  Again instead of rambling, actually look at the data I suggested.  The Wii and Wii U trending data is what made me finally come to these conclusions.

P.S.  Don't worry I will resorect this thread when I am right lol"

It's ok, some of us have good reading comprehension and some of us still read at a 3rd grade level.  Don't worry you will get there eventually, you actually said that the ps3 was selling 2 million per month and that they would get over 100 million during this summer, but whateves, if you meant the ps3 will sell 2 million for this year, that's fine too.  It's completely irrelevant to the argument, so idc.  

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about, you keep throwing out random data as facts that make absolutely no sense, if the ps3 only sold 2 million this year I would be utterly shocked, but you probably didn't mean that either even though you said "i meant 2 million for the year" were you referring to the wiiU?  Do you think the wiiU will only sell 2 million?  Or the wii? or the ps2?  At anyrate, how am I suppose to look up "data" when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, provide links to this data, don't tell someone to look them up, especially after your pathetic attempts to have a "sensible discussion only, no flaming" which apparently means, not reading someones posts, but arguing against a point they didn't make, then calling them ignorant for some random reason. 

P.S.  You can resorect whatever you want, because no one was arguing against whatever point you were attempting to make lol.

LOL I just checked my post again to make sure.  I said the monthly trends show it will sell 2m.  Of coarse I didn't mean 2m per month.  Only an idiot would think that...

Here's how you look up data.  There is this website called VGchartz.  It's a pretty cool site where you can check graphs of sales every month compared to previous months in the charts section.  Check it out!

P.S.  I read at a 12th grade level in 2nd grade and I am in the top 0.1% in reading comprehension now [Studying Mechanical Engineering in College].  I am gonna guess you are near the bottom of the top 50% in writing for people your age.

Cool, you taught me how to go to vgchartz and look up data, learn something new everyday *sarcasm* anyways, this was a waste of my time, I thought I was going to have a "sensible discussion" but clearly you just wanted a flame war.  I guess that was smart then, luring people in with your mediocre predictions, and then immidiately calling them ignorant with nothing to back up that statement.  Then immidiately changing the subject to something you actually could argue about.  But don't worry, you already proved you are wrong about the wiiU being done by changing the subject, so I have no reason to comment any longer.  I hope things go well with you in college, mechanical Engineering is a great field, I studied Electrical Engineering until I realized how boring that was and switched to Computer Science, but at anyrate, we are done here, have fun causing more flame wars!

Something...Something...Games...Something

binary solo said:
reggin_bolas said:
binary solo said:
I think 50 million is doable. But considering PS3 doing 55-65% of PS2 is regarded as abject failure by those who like to see the worst in things, especially anything Sony. Wii U doing 50% of Wii should be seen in the same light.

However, potential should be taken into account. PS3 had the potential to sell upwards of 120 million, but it ended up being handicapped by various factors. I never thought Wii U had Wii-like sales potential, purely for the reason that millions of people who've never bought a console in their life bought a Wii, and the likelihood of that segment of the Wii market becoming multi-generation console owners was always pretty low.

The people who will buy a Wii U are: hard out Nintendo fans (25 million); the multi / all console crowd (10 million?); some of the Wii's blue ocean crowd (10 million); and 5 million more for good measure. Anything substantially more than that is gravy for the Wii U. So Nintendo's job really is to bring Wii U to per unit profitability ASAP so they can get the vast majority of Wii U's sold at a profit, not relying on people buying at least one game to turn a profit.

Actually, I think you are grossly overestimating the potential. Sure, there are die hard fans that will buy no matter what junk they shove into the market. But really, minimum 25 million? Absolutely not. That's the total sales for the entire life cycle if you are lucky.

Just wait another year for PS4/Nextbox to hit the market. I believe this is the end of Nintendo as a dominant player in the industry. I believe the abject failure of the Wii U will force the company into restructuring ala Sega. They will keep dominion in the handheld market but they will also eject themselves from mainstream console competition. Don't be surprised if you see Mario and Zelda on PS5.

Yep, I think Nintendo's base support is 25 million.

that would mean the game cube sold to less people than its base support.... I would honestly only put the base support at under 20mil and not barely under 20 either... more closer to 15mil if that

Ji99saw said:
It's Over (D.O.A), I would also like to add the fact that the online infrastructure Nintendo has is an abomination and getting laps ran around it by 7 year old consoles

Just a heads up that the moderators don't allow you to claim a console is DOA even though it's a legitimate business term so you may want to edit your post. 

Nem said:
Am i the only one that thought it was ironic the title, plus the disclaimer? Its like saying: This is all adult here, but let me bash some first. It only counts after i say so!

3rd parties are mostly irrelevant. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.
And yes, you are speaking too soon. The rumors say the next Xbox will be required to have online permanently, allows no used games, requires kinect, etc. That is basically Microsoft going into a world of hurt and pushing people into a 2 way option between Sony and Nintendo.
With the right games out, and with the price droped this christmas, it will sell alot more than the new consoles at a high price will. Actually, try to remember the 3DS. It was doomed this far into its existance and now look, its a raging sucess. Yeah... patience, Rome wasnt built in a day.

great use of words 10points+

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Nintendo can overcome with some properly-executed expanded-market games. NSMBU was a solid start, but it needs supplemented. The expanded market of Wii Sports/Fit may be lost to tablets, but people looking for the classic Nintendo experience (not the N64/GameCube nintendo experience) still have only one place to turn, and Nintendo has but to answer them.

The expanded market left nintendo years ago, the only market it has left is hardcore nintendo fans. So gamecube sales is about all can do.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Nem said:
Am i the only one that thought it was ironic the title, plus the disclaimer? Its like saying: This is all adult here, but let me bash some first. It only counts after i say so!

3rd parties are mostly irrelevant. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.
And yes, you are speaking too soon. The rumors say the next Xbox will be required to have online permanently, allows no used games, requires kinect, etc. That is basically Microsoft going into a world of hurt and pushing people into a 2 way option between Sony and Nintendo.
With the right games out, and with the price droped this christmas, it will sell alot more than the new consoles at a high price will. Actually, try to remember the 3DS. It was doomed this far into its existance and now look, its a raging sucess. Yeah... patience, Rome wasnt built in a day.

Why bring up Xbox 720 rumors to execute such a weak argument, even if they are all true people are still expecting Wii U to be outsold by the Xbox 720, in fact the general consensus is Wii U already lost. lol

Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

"I don't debate, I just give you that work"- Ji99saw

Nintendoomed

Ji99saw said:
Nem said:

Why bring up Xbox 720 rumors to execute such a weak argument, even if they are all true people are still expecting Wii U to be outsold by the Xbox 720, in fact the general consensus is Wii U already lost. lol

Because the general consensus is always right.....

Something...Something...Games...Something

Everybody is sure quick to count Nintendo out, I wouldn't want to support most of you ingrates