By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Put a fork in the Wii U, it is done. [Sensible discussion only, no flaming]

"PSN and LIVE have a loyal fanbase built up that want to keep their accounts. They will not switch to the Wii U."

Because there is no way they will be able to keep their accounts while simultaneously owning a Wii U.

Around the Network

I don't think the system is "done", it's just the modern GameCube.

It's a Wii without the appeal the Wiimote first had six/seven years ago and hence that casual audience is basically gone elsewhere.

The appeal of the Wii when it came out was that it was the "simple" game console anyone could use and it was counter-marketed perfectly against the "complicated" XBox 360 and PS3. Mario Kart and Mario was just a bonus really, like dessert after a nice meal.

But today, the "simple game fix" concept has moved on to smartphones/tablets which provide much cheaper software. Casuals don't care about physical controls or HD graphics, if anything the Wii U controller is undoing all the progress the Wiimote made -- it's big, bulky, awkward looking, filled with scary buttons and joysticks (lol).

For people who want a more core experience, the system will take years to match up to the XBox 360/PS3 library, which will also probably be cheaper than the Wii U indefinitely. So for budget gamers and parents looking to buy their kids a console, PS3/360 wins (more affordable, far more selection).

For the hardcore players who are tired o their 360/PS3 and want to move on, the PS4/720 is going to the be the platforms with all the next-gen content, so Nintendo can't win there either.

It's basically only Nintendo fans that gotta have a very specific fix of Mario and Zelda and so on that will be willing to pay $250++ to get that. And that audience is small. Stripped of the casual crowd, Nintendo's appeal drops dramatically and there's a lot of redundancy with Nintendo IP (ie: the guy who likes Super Mario is probably the same guy buying Smash Bros, so it's not like these two "monster franchises" are bringing in completely different consumers). 

Holy shit guys, it's all about the games.

The 3DS was "saved" by the price cut is what everyone says, but it was really SM3DL and MK7 that saved it. If Nintendo had waited until those games, they would have done fine.

So the whole "price cut didn't work" argument is moot. Wii U will be above 50 million. I can guarantee it.

Psyberius said:
It's not done but it sure as hell isn't healthy. First year jitters are one thing, what is going on right now is another.

Buyers just aren't buyin it. They should have made the WiiU, slapped a cool controller on it, then waited two years to put a tablet on it. Right now people are buying their own tablets and the WiiU just looks complex and ungainly to people who's first console was a simple, fun, easy Wii.

Exactly.  I am not saying that the Wii U is 100% doomed.  However I have never been more sure of a consoles demise until now.  Even with the 3DS and Vita, I said "Just wait, they have options."

Wii U has no viable options that can save it from coming dead last this gen.

Mensrea said:
Holy shit guys, it's all about the games.

The 3DS was "saved" by the price cut is what everyone says, but it was really SM3DL and MK7 that saved it. If Nintendo had waited until those games, they would have done fine.

So the whole "price cut didn't work" argument is moot. Wii U will be above 50 million. I can guarantee it.

To be honest the 3DS still isn't selling that great in the West even with 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Paper Mario, Mario Kart (lol, every kind of Mario!). 

In Japan the 3DS took off like a rocket once Monster Hunter was announced and the price cut, but the 3DS is in a very different situation in Japan, it basically is the go-to console for Japan, effectively having replaced consoles there. Which is great for the 3DS in Japan .... not so great for the Wii U there though. 

Japan's already voted with their wallets ... handhelds have replaced the home console there. 

Around the Network
Fireforgey said:
Captain_Tom said:
thekitchensink said:
You're right. Nintendo's new system is tanking horribly. It's only somewhat more powerful than Sony's previous-generation effort, has almost no good games and a 'gimmick' that supposedly adds nothing to gameplay, and is going to be demolished by an upcoming competitor with a stronger lineup that is orders of magnitude more powerful than it. This new system also has the benefit of maintaining the online accounts people have become so attached to.

Yes, the 3DS is so screwed when the Vita comes out.

-The 3DS has a cool gimmick while the Wii U's clearly hasn't connected with its base as well.

The 3DS' gimmick isn't much of a selling point anymore, it is selling based only by virtue of its games.

-The 3DS IS stronger than the PSP.

Wii U is stronger than current Gen, it already plays great ports, in another year it'll do significantly more powerful stuff.

-The 3DS WAS screwed, but they reacted effectively and SONY fumbled around with the Memory Cards.  SONY seems to have learned, and the Wii U's priice cuts will be countered by PS360 cuts.

Just like the 3DS was affected by by price cuts of the PSP, right?  If the Wii U will be undermined by current Gen price cuts then mark my words, so will the PS4/720.  Next gen will have by far the slowest start in video game history.  People are very happy with current gen graphics and aren't falling over themselves to get all the new stuff.

Listen, man, your argument is terribly flawed.  Everything you said that dooms the Wii U are attributes of some of the most succesful consoles in history.  A lot of what you say just proves that in the end, the Wii U is no different from many other succesful systems.  Stop trying to DOOM NINTENDO. In the end you will be proven wrong just like every gen and then you'll have to wait till next gen to start this up again.  Just quit while you're behind.

I never said the Wii, 3DS, or Vita would fail  even though everyone else was  around there launch.  I saw the potential in all of them, and this is the first time I feel a company has dug a hole they cannot get out of.

Captain_Tom said:
Psyberius said:
It's not done but it sure as hell isn't healthy. First year jitters are one thing, what is going on right now is another.

Buyers just aren't buyin it. They should have made the WiiU, slapped a cool controller on it, then waited two years to put a tablet on it. Right now people are buying their own tablets and the WiiU just looks complex and ungainly to people who's first console was a simple, fun, easy Wii.

Exactly.  I am not saying that the Wii U is 100% doomed.  However I have never been more sure of a consoles demise until now.  Even with the 3DS and Vita, I said "Just wait, they have options."

You realize that by saying that this is the first time you been so sure of a console demise doesn't make your points more valid.

Nintendo and PC gamer

kitler53 said:
someone is going to say it so it might as well be me..

if only sensible discussion is allowed please delete your OP.

It would seem hard to have things go in that way, when the original thread goes the direction it did, with the subject header.  One could end up posting something, inquiring why people think the Wii U would get third-party support and so on.

The Wii U actually has a much stronger software library right now than the 3DS did early on too.

If the 3DS had launched with NSMB2 and "Nintendo Land 3D" (basically a bunch of Mii-based mini-game attractions based on popular Nintendo IP) instead of Nintendogs + cats and Steel Diver (lol) it would've sold pretty well I think, especially with the benefit of a Christmas season launch. 

Not to mention Wii U has some decent third party content, Black Ops 2 (biggest 3rd party game of the year), Assassin's Creed 3 (second biggest 3rd party game of the year), Zombi U (decent exclusive FPS), Scribblenauts Unlimited and had Monster Hunter for Japan.

People just don't like the concept of the Wii U console period IMO. I think that's more troubling for Nintendo. 

osed125 said:
Captain_Tom said:
Psyberius said:

You realize that by seeing that this is the first time you been so sure of a console demise doesn't make your points more valid.

No it doesn't, but it does mean I am not "One of those people" who always spouts doom.