By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "gay" = "retarderd"

First off I must quickly clarify that I'm not stating homosexual people are developmentally disabled. I'm referring to the words themselves: how at first they simply described people yet quickly expanded to insults. They have evolved so much that most people today using "gay" or "retarded" do not even think of the original connotations. That homework was so "gay"; that book is so "retarded."

So when a person replaces the word "gay" with the word "retarded" in an insult, they are not saying being gay is equivalent to being developmentally disabled.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

I've said this time and again, but many people don't agree. I also understand, though, why they don't agree. Retarded shouldn't really be used to insult something or someone as it is (or was) meant to describe a disabled person. This is just plain rude. (Same goes with the use of gay, now.)

What I always wondered is which came first; gay meaning 'happy' or gay meaning homosexual?

I know you are but what am I

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

JoeTheBro said:

First off I must quickly clarify that I'm not stating homosexual people are developmentally disabled. I'm referring to the words themselves: how at first they simply described people yet quickly expanded to insults. They have evolved so much that most people today using "gay" or "retarded" do not even think of the original connotations. That homework was so "gay"; that book is so "retarded."

So when a person replaces the word "gay" with the word "retarded" in an insult, they are not saying being gay is equivalent to being developmentally disabled.

Thoughts?

Anyone using "gay" as a slur is does have developmental issues in a lot of areas.  "Retarded" is arguably a more accurate term.  But in all cases, the usages does show problems with the person using the terms.

People should just stop using "gay" or "retarded" as insults towards anything because it offends gay and people with mental illnesses. Its like just the idiots I watch on youtube who call each other "nigga," its really not needed.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
People should just stop using "gay" or "retarded" as insults towards anything because it offends gay and people with mental illnesses. Its like just the idiots I watch on youtube who call each other "nigga," its really not needed.

LOL.

lolol.... badgenome you clown. I laughed at that more than I should have.

i used gay in this manner before and it would be a big lie if you guys hadn't either!

JoeTheBro said:

Thoughts?

The WiiU has a very unusual gamepad, has a screen in it and everything.

chapset said:
I know you are but what am I

I just wanted to say that everytime I see your sig I picture Wander running straight to that giant chick to climb her and stab the shit outta her.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1