By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

This could be possibly true if we assumed that sales were fixed beforehand. Unluckily we all know that isn't the case. Sales of a series in comparison to one in the same series on a previous console, will have similar sales but there will always be differences. Why? Well it depends on a few things:

1. Was it a launch title. Launch titles receive more hype as we've all seen. Why SM64 was able to sell so much.

2. Differences in userbase.

3. And importantce of title to the console. Meaning if it's hyped as the big game while the other one is just a game then well we see.

It all has to do with marketing. Sunshine was never a huge frontrunner game at least in the media, while Galaxy has been that as the supposed "Best Game of 2007" and so forth. Not to mention Wiis extended userbase will proportionally allow it to surpass Sunshine.

NOt to mention the "Mario Fanbase" isn't standing between consoles, possibly on the same one, but not between.

There are way too many assumptions and linear thinking into this for it to be possible. We must understand that you can't think linearly about economics. If so this site wouldn't be necessary.

Around the Network

@Gnizmo, THAT is USA only.
You free to add 4-4,5 mln. from EUROPE.

Explain to me how the PS3 will reach 100 mil after the "AAA" games come out and (most likely) most devs will jump ship to the Wii?
Can you show me GTA4, CoD4, AC, SC4, SH5, RE5, DMC4 Wii versions? =))
Developers are NOT going to abandon ps3/x360.

@Zucas, yeah, BUT don`t you find STRANGE, that with same numbers of consoles(20 mln. Wii) SMG sold almost as much as SMS with 21.5 mln GC? And just in 12 weeks. Not too fast?
If game amazing, it`s legs wouldn`t decline, atleast in Japan. While reaching maximum so FAST shows only, that there are a LOT nintendo fans in Japan which bought Wii TODAY.

Of`course you could presume, that new non-nintendo fans bought SMG in Japan, BUT then, sales should`t decline that much on every week.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Ah America only, I wasn't thinking.

Still in America SMG sold half what GTA:SA did, which I still consider impressive [PS2 userbase when SA was launched enabled very fast sales]

@Crazzy

Hrmm, ok. The lack of European sales in all threw me off. Still, no proof of it selling 10 million. Come back with some facts and I will reconsider my stance.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

CrazzyMan said:
@stof,
That's not logical at all. The userbase isn't the defining factor at this point. The game's only been out for 12 weeks! Sunshine was out for years. However over time the userbase will be the big factor, and the Wii's userbase will make the cube look like a wonderswan.
Maybe, or maybe NOT.
20 mln. Wii and 21,5 mln. GC. I expect to SMG reach SMS sales levels with 21.5 mln. Wii.
But that makes me think, that for NOW most wii owners are nintendo fans.
if to look to japan sales, that is 4 mln. GC vs 5 mln. Wii. that makes only 20% of non nintendo fans.
How do you figure that?  The Gamecube sold 21.5 million over a period of 6 years, the Wii sold 20 million in a hair over 1 year.  You can't really believe that ONLY Nintendo fans have been buying the Wii with those kinds of numbers, considering NONE of Nintendo's previous systems have had the same impact(Only the PS2 boasted similar numbers after its first year).  I'd go as far to say that the bulk of the purchases are being made by people who haven't owned a Nintendo console before, or if they did, the last one they owned was a SNES.

Around the Network

you just have to look around you to notice its not only nintendo fans buying Wii's

i know 6 people who have Wii's, and only 1 of them had a gamecube. 2 had a ps2 and 1 had an xbox. the other 2 both havent had a console before

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

do you have any proof of GTA selling 4 million in Europe

CrazzyMan said:
Super Mario Galaxy has nearly outsold Sunshine in 3 months. I seriously doubt the game is going to lose its legs anytime soon. It launched singificantly weaker than Sunshine in Japan but has since passed the total sold in far less time.
And SMS sold 100k in last 90 weeks.
SMG will sell 15 million with 100 million Wii sell
Ratchet will reach 3 mln. with 100 mln. ps3. YES! =))
Considering it was the #1 game in the US last week it might be alittle early to start talking about SMG's decline.
I said that too in first post.
lest COMPARE the games in a same timeframe....[/.quote]@darthdevidem01, Japan sales vs ALL. =)) [quote]You think Mario is only going to sell under 2½ million more, but Uncharted is sure to double its current sales? Now you're just being crazzy.
Uncharted is NEW IP, while Super Mario is NOT, and BASED on SMS sales i compare SMG sales.

@stof,
Actually, it'd be more accurate to say that SMG sales in 12 weeks are very close to SMS sales Lifetime.
With 20 mln. Wii and 21,5 mln. GC. Very LOGICAL.

Your Japan argument still ignores 2 very important things. 1. IT'S JANUARY! All game sales decline unless they're Wiifit! And secondly, Sunshine's sales are largely reflective of the console itself, which fizzled and faded away in Japan.
So how much you expect to sell SMG in next 16 weeks in Japan, USA and Europe?
The Wii's already outsold the Cube and they won't be stopping anytime soon.
Actually not yet, still 1,5 mln. behind, of`course not for long.
And wait... I don't even know what the heck your last sentence means. Is it that hard to believe that Mario Galaxy is just an incredibly fun game that appeals to a lot of people?
Then why THAT incredible game didn`t made over 10 mln. yet, instead of 5? Maybe because mariofans mostly bought it?

You must be one of the people waiting for those Marijuana vending machines to come to your country, because you are seriously high if you believe that shit!!!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

also, what the hell is up with your grammar?? i couldn't understand half of the shit you were saying to soriku!!!

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

How about this comparison?

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=New+Super+Mario+Bros+-+DS&reg2=All&game2=Super+Mario+Galaxy+-+Wii&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100