By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ALL marioboys bought SMG and Wii? Or speculations made on SMG and SMS sales

YES! IT IS LOGICAL TO COMPARE THE SAME GAME OF A SERIES ON CONSOLES THAT HAVE SIMILAR SALES!

/NOT SARCASM

SMG will outsell SMS in less than 1/5 of the time it took. It also had a smaller userbase.

ItSHOULD sell 15-20 million and you have NO facts to disprove it.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Then why THAT incredible game didn`t made over 10 mln. yet, instead of 5? Maybe because mariofans mostly bought it?

Name one game that has ever sold 10 million in 4 months. Just one game and I will think you have a point.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Japan sales?
Because legs really went down only in Japan(when SMG Reached SMS numbers)?
Because SMS did 100k in last 90 weeks in Japan?

Also, 100 mln. console sales doesn`t guarantee over 10 mln. sales.
Look at MGS2, MGS3. FFX, FFXII, GT4.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

dtewi said:
Could you just ban him? He's an annoying fanboyish logic-ignoring nuisance.

+1

Although it would make the forums a little less exciting... 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Those games never had a high attach ratio, mario does. He ALWAYS ranges from 25-40% (the platformer series at least).

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

Wow, I don't normally do the crazy long post point/counterpoint... This should be fun

Stof - Actually, it'd be more accurate to say that SMG sales in 12 weeks are very close to SMS sales Lifetime.
Crazy -With 20 mln. Wii and 21,5 mln. GC. Very LOGICAL.

That's not logical at all. The userbase isn't the defining factor at this point. The game's only been out for 12 weeks! Sunshine was out for years. However over time the userbase will be the big factor, and the Wii's userbase will make the cube look like a wonderswan.

Stof - Your Japan argument still ignores 2 very important things. 1. IT'S JANUARY! All game sales decline unless they're Wiifit! And secondly, Sunshine's sales are largely reflective of the console itself, which fizzled and faded away in Japan.

Crazy -So how much you expect to sell SMG in next 16 weeks in Japan, USA and Europe?

Huh? I pointed out that your Japan argument doesn't make sense, what's that have to do with world wide 16 week sales? I'm saying that sunshine was purchased by a percentage of new console owners, and so will Galaxy. The difference here is that a lot more people in Japan will be buying the Wii than the Cube, so Galaxy sales will remain substantially higher.

Stof - The Wii's already outsold the Cube and they won't be stopping anytime soon.
Crazy - Actually not yet, still 1,5 mln. behind, of`course not for long.

I was refering to Japan

Stof - And wait... I don't even know what the heck your last sentence means. Is it that hard to believe that Mario Galaxy is just an incredibly fun game that appeals to a lot of people?

Crazy - Then why THAT incredible game didn`t made over 10 mln. yet?

Um.. It's only been out for 12 weeks! And in it's 12th week it was the highest selling game World Wide with 166 thousand in the middle of January! So it hasn't made 10 million yet because that's a silly expectation.

Huh. That was fun.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

CrazzyMan said:

@Sqrl, yeah i compare and said, that geow sold 5 mln. and SMG will make 7 mln., because of it`s better sales and a little better legs + sales in japan.
And yet 16k SMG in Japan.

What do you mean "little better legs"? The two games aren't even comparable in terms of legs.

Both SMG and Gears were released at similar timeframes and had their 10th week in mid January. Now Gear's only major market was the US and for week 10 it sold 54k. For SMG's week 10 it sold 82k.

These numbers are the very early indicators of the legs for these games. And with that snapshot SMG has 50% better legs than Gears did after only 10 weeks. But for weeks 11 to present Gears was fighting something Mario will not have to fight...and that is new interesting entries into its genre which absolutely smother the legs of the game. Occasionally a system seller like Halo will help it a bit as was seen in september when it finally jumped back onto the top 50 by managing a 10k and 13k week leading into the launch of Halo 3.  But realize that a 10k week and 13k week being the increased sales means its going nowhere.

Mario is going to be the defacto standard in platforming for the rest of this generation in addition to being the most iconic face in all of gaming it will not be smothered by another game...which means it will continue to enjoy solid sales.

Realize that this comparison is done in the most favorable market for Gears and that the situation will be worse in Eu/Others and Japan and Mario will have even better legs compared to gears in those regions.

Plain and simple, its a bad comparison. I hope you can grasp this, but based on your posting history I am guessing you will find some reason to dismiss it. If thats the case enjoy your thread, I'm not gonna spend time explaining this over and over again.

edit: PS - /agree Stof, I don't know that it will help much though =/

To Each Man, Responsibility
CrazzyMan said:
Japan sales?
Because legs really went down only in Japan(when SMG Reached SMS numbers)?
Because SMS did 100k in last 90 weeks in Japan?

Also, 100 mln. console sales doesn`t guarantee over 10 mln. sales.
Look at MGS2, MGS3. FFX, FFXII, GT4.

So I take it this means you still intend to ignore the fact that the Gamecube was a flop in Japan? What is the game supposed to sell in it's last 90 weeks when hardly anyone is buying the console?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)