By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2013 NPD Thread - 360:302k, PS3:~270k, 3DS:~191k, Wii:~100k, Wii U:66k, PSV:38k

So happy to see Sly in the top 10

Around the Network
pezus said:
the_dengle said:

WOW, 3DS is around 200k? Undertracked by around 130k -- 150%?? Damn. Even I didn't hope for anywhere near that much.

Wii U undertracked about what I expected. The analysis about returns impacting January sales was probably correct, but Wii U sales weren't around 80k like the guy expected them to be.

Good to see Vita getting positive adjustments. Good to see everything getting upward adjustments, actually. The industry is not as doomed as it seemed -- apocalypse cancelled, go home doomers!

Those were just my guesses. There could be any other combination really, like Wii = 150k and 3DS = 150k. Kind of hard to believe that Wii would sell that much though.

Yeah, I don't see how Wii would be up after last month with one week fewer. 100k sounds like a very good guess to me. What about the DS number, any wiggle room there? Could it have been higher?

With Fire Emblem numbers being a lot lower than VGChartz said, I'm now surprised the 3DS was undertracked so heavily.

So is the Wii U really ~65K?

If true, it´s still performing worse than the GameCube did in its first February NPD (Feb 2002 - 78K)

ninjablade said:

not really, considering feb always see a 20% increase in sales from january, i think the proves the analyisis as false, 360/ps3 sold better in feb, and so did the wiiu.

Possibly, but I don't see any logical reason for Wii U sales to have increased naturally in February. Literally zero retail games were released for the console the whole month. 360 and PS3 and the rest had actual releases.

Lol at Fire Emblem: Awakening being at 261k physical only.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
So is the Wii U really ~65K?

If true, it´s still performing worse than the GameCube did in its first February NPD (Feb 2002 - 78K)

GC had a very impressive launch. Turns out in its first December it outsold pretty much every other console (PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U etc.) so that's not bad at all!

But 65k is upsetting, but much better than VGC suggested.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

the_dengle said:
ninjablade said:

not really, considering feb always see a 20% increase in sales from january, i think the proves the analyisis as false, 360/ps3 sold better in feb, and so did the wiiu.

Possibly, but I don't see any logical reason for Wii U sales to have increased naturally in February. Literally zero retail games were released for the console the whole month. 360 and PS3 and the rest had actual releases.

well the fact that feb vconsole sales always increase compared to january, is reason enough, don't you think?

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
all 3 current consoles down about 30% is my guess...

leaving WiiU with about 65k

Surely Wii dropped more than PS360

January trends doesn't suggest that, though. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

ninjablade said:
the_dengle said:

well the fact that feb vconsole sales always increase compared to january, is reason enough, don't you think?

It could be. But I think it's all a connected cycle. Customers buy an excess of consoles in December, so they're less likely to be wanting one in January; fewer publishers release games in January because they know customers are less likely to be buying; but of course fewer customers are going to be buying games if fewer games are being released. Releases pick up in February because sales pick up; sales pick up because releases pick up. Wii U had no releases, so I don't know why anyone would suddenly decide in February that they want to buy a Wii U.

Let me put it this way, releases push sales. 20% is a normal increase for Feb over Jan -- with software releases. Wii U doubled that with no software releases. That's not fishy to you?

From gaf.

Sly 2: Band of Thieves
September 2004 - 16th on the All Format Charts, 8th on the PS2 Chart
http://www.gamespot.com/news/chartspot-september-2004-6112295

Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
October 2005 - 8h on the All Format Charts, 6th on the PS2 Chart
http://www.gamespot.com/news/chartspot-october-2005-6140404