By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could the Wii hit over 150 million??(because China)

China? The country that kills thousands of animals everyday because they believe that animals' body parts hold medicinal properties? And sell animal penises in restuarants to eat?? (I'm an animal lover lol)

Who knows how much the Wii will sell in China. It's up to what the consumers want. I hope Nintendo tries to make it near impossible for the Wii to be modded for pirated games (as in Nintendo makes a Chinese Wii impossible to hack); or they don't release it at all. That country thrives on fake items and merchandise to drive sales. It's just as bad as going to NYC and buying a fake and expensive-looking purse off someone. How do you think China and Chintendo (chintendo is the Chinese word for penis, I heard from someone >_> ) made the Vii to look like a Nintendo Wii and got away with it?

Around the Network

It will reach 150M irregardless of whether its launched in China or not.

China is still two years away. China's GDP hit $3.43 trillion at the end of 2007, according to the China Daily. That means average per capita income is $2,640, or $220 a month. Way too low to support a gaming market where even the cheapest console costs $120 (PS2).

But there's hope for 2010. Here's why: history shows that a game market takes off when per capita income hits $5,000 or so. (This is what happened in Russia.) China's urban regions are 45% of population and have three times the income of the rural regions. Calculate out the numbers using basic algebra, and it turns out China's urban per capita GDP is $3,690, while rural GDP is $1010.

Assuming two more years of 10% growth, and China hits the magic $5,000 market. It will become a huge game market, no question.

India is currently only one-third as wealthy per capita as China, so it's unlikely they'll become a significant game market until 2015 or so.

Isn't China a communist nation? If so, they won't allow businesses to prosper over there since everything is run by the government.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

daactualfact said:
I've been wondering about this for a long time! China has a population of over 1 billion!(if i'm not mistaken.) The Wii would also appeal to Chinese a lot! (wiifit yoga for the sensei!!) what do you think? (it's almost a certainty that Wii will become Nintendo's best selling console and hit past 100 million. But how far do you think it'll be past 100 million when you add China?)

Its 1,321,851,888 (July 2007 est.)

you were right, but underestimated it

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ch.html (scroll down to the section titled: people)

I think it'd sell a few million.

Around the Network
daactualfact said:
Maybe for India, Nintendo can make a special edition "buddha" wii available! (it will sell millions!)

For China, they can put Jet Li or Jackie Chan on it!!!! (though those 2 don't come from China, they could pass off as Chinese.)

Hinduism is bigger than Buddhism in India.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

150 million doesn't even need China or India, heck 250 without either of them is going to happen

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

150 million would be a truly outstanding achievement.

daactualfact said:
I've been wondering about this for a long time! China has a population of over 1 billion!(if i'm not mistaken.) The Wii would also appeal to Chinese a lot! (wiifit yoga for the sensei!!) what do you think? (it's almost a certainty that Wii will become Nintendo's best selling console and hit past 100 million. But how far do you think it'll be past 100 million when you add China?)

Hahahahaha!

Obviously you have never seen this post of mine.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6734

Dream higher, daactualfact. Higher!

150,000,000???

That's child's play.

Don't be surprised to see a potential of 500,000,000 when this is all said and done.

Bare minimum however is 240,000,000. That is a FACT.

A Daactual FACT.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

JL thinks 8-9% of the world will own Wii's. lol Is that even possible seeing that the Wii isnt even available in Africa and other 3rd world countries/continents?

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!