By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could the Wii hit over 150 million??(because China)

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago at length so will keep it short today.

Can Wii reach 150 million, sure, but i'm not sure that China will have much impact.

Why
- Students from 12-18yrs go to school from 7am-10pm, 6days a week.
- Salary is low (as others have pointed out): 500 dollars a month in coastal cities but more like 150 dollars/month for most of China.
- Even assuming their are enough rich people to support a decent sized market it is going to take years for any of the console manufacturers to gain any kind of brand recognition. PC games are by far the most popular now, RTS, FPS and MMO. It would take a massive change for the tide to turn and i can't see how that's going to happen any time soon. Nothing happens fast in China.
- This is not even taking into account cultural factors with regard to computers, foreign products, overprotective parents and a multitude of others that converge on this issue.

I honestly meant this to be shorter;)

Around the Network

I'd say go for it, piracy or otherwise. If Nintendo still makes a profit from Hardware sales, then why not sell systems in China?

I can see Sony not wanting to launch in China, because then they would lose money on their system + not make any money in games.

But if Nintendo still can turn a profit on hardware sales alone, then I say do it.

As for games, I think if Nintendo starts a China division that handles the localization, distribution, and pricing, then it would help to curb piracy. Also, whose to say that China can't make their own games? Just like how Madden is huge in the USA, there should be Chinese software companies out there that can make localized game franchises that are hugely popular in China.

I don`t know anyone, who wouldn`t buy Wii-toy for 99$.
Well, maybe some haters, but that`s like 0.1%.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

China is a booming market and the internet is catching like crazy (errr. CRAZZZY) over there. I can guarantee you that there is a market for this kind of stuff. It might start off with the high end markets, but once production costs get cheaper (i.e. more Wii's being built in China for cheaper), the more people should be able to afford it.

And if the Wii came down to a mass market price such as $99, then it could reach 100 million units sold with ease. That's Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy!

Copycon said:
SlorgNet said:
China is still two years away. China's GDP hit $3.43 trillion at the end of 2007, according to the China Daily. That means average per capita income is $2,640, or $220 a month. Way too low to support a gaming market where even the cheapest console costs $120 (PS2).

But there's hope for 2010. Here's why: history shows that a game market takes off when per capita income hits $5,000 or so. (This is what happened in Russia.) China's urban regions are 45% of population and have three times the income of the rural regions. Calculate out the numbers using basic algebra, and it turns out China's urban per capita GDP is $3,690, while rural GDP is $1010.

Assuming two more years of 10% growth, and China hits the magic $5,000 market. It will become a huge game market, no question.

India is currently only one-third as wealthy per capita as China, so it's unlikely they'll become a significant game market until 2015 or so.

Thats PER CAPITA in a country with 1,3 BILLION people. Of course there is a market already. It's enough with 400 million people that can afford a Wii.

Yups,  I wonder if the game market grows over there we will see more Chinese video games publishers and what kind of games will they make.

Around the Network

If both China and India catch on to the Wii (We're talking over 2.4 billion people here) we could see insane Wii sales by generations end.

PC Gamer

It is possable but I first want too see what the DS will do

SlorgNet said:
China is still two years away. China's GDP hit $3.43 trillion at the end of 2007, according to the China Daily. That means average per capita income is $2,640, or $220 a month. Way too low to support a gaming market where even the cheapest console costs $120 (PS2).

But there's hope for 2010. Here's why: history shows that a game market takes off when per capita income hits $5,000 or so. (This is what happened in Russia.) China's urban regions are 45% of population and have three times the income of the rural regions. Calculate out the numbers using basic algebra, and it turns out China's urban per capita GDP is $3,690, while rural GDP is $1010.

Assuming two more years of 10% growth, and China hits the magic $5,000 market. It will become a huge game market, no question.

India is currently only one-third as wealthy per capita as China, so it's unlikely they'll become a significant game market until 2015 or so.

Time to wake up, China already has a huge gaming market, not so much for consoles yet, but there's a booming online gaming market there, much bigger than the current US market ( there's 5.5 Million Wow players in Asia, most of them in China, compared to 2.5 millions in the US and the estimate is they pay a monthly fee about half of what US players pay).

Yes maybe the average GDP per capita is much lower than in Western countries, but you forget one thing, even if 10% of the population has a much higher GDP per capita, 10% of China population is 130 Million human beings....

On top of that China's population is much younger than the one of Western countries and the young are concentrated in cities and have in average bigger incomes...

The thing to remember when looking at China though is that yes the population is huge, but a huge percentage of it isn't that rich ( especially the rural folks) but in the end I woudn't be surprised if the current Chinese gaming market wasn't comparable to something like half to 75% of the US gaming market.....

And yes, to answer another post, their interest seem to lie more along those of Koreans than Japanese.

PC rules, and online games and RTS are currently a lot more popular than consoles...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !