By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Nintendo Is A Bad Company With A Poor CEO"

NintendoPie said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

NintendoPie said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Wow, strawman much.

The Wii was lucky in that it hit an unknown - the casual housewife/family market.

The DS was the only cheap handheld at the time and came with very popular games. That isn't luck, nor did I say that - you just made it up *rollseyes*.

The 3DS is in sitcky mud. Its slow launch was obvious, but the price drop and games helped. Will it hold up or has the market changed due to smartphones? Who knows.

The WiiU however, is different. It has started off incredibly slowly and target market is confused. I will never be saying they got lucky and in my opinion, I don't think it will even reach 20 million, and yes, I'll be quoting this to you.

It seems like you basically contradicted yourself. "But the price drop and games helped." And you don't think that'll help Wii U? 20 Million consoles is a complete understatement.

It might seem like the Wii U is going to crash and fall. But didn't people also say that about the 3DS?

They said they won't drop the price.

The games that sell the DS series is different to the console. So far we have seen and heard nothing, and it looks grim. The 5th best selling game on the Wii has fallen flat on the WiiU. The only thing that will help shift it would be a new SSBB, but if we consider that only sold 10 million on the Wii that has shifted 100m units, we're looking at either a spike followed by stagnation at 10m consoles at best.

That's dire.

I don't see how this situation is dire. If the Wii U continued on for pretty much a year (like the Vita) with horrible sales, then I would categorize it as dire. A few months on the market with a not so great weekly number? I call that natural. (Most Consoles fall "flat" for a while after release. They only start picking up once their big games hit, which hasn't happened to the Wii U, yet.)

The fact that you act like NSMB can't pull in more sales than that is funny. When the console isn't selling all too well, the games won't either. 

This bad at launch is a massive failing from Nintendo.

Either people don't want it, and/or it has no games. Regardless, it is terrible sales. It's weekly sales are far less than consoles that are about to be phased out. reason to me how that is NOT bad? ^^ And no, consoles don't fall flat. Where did you get that from? The 360 and PS3 had a minimum of 100k per week, not ~30k. That is a huge drop.

Explain how a NSMB would sell more than the Wii, when the Wii has sold 100m units, and the WiiU looks set to be lucky to hit 20m. Go on. Explain your logic.

Around the Network

I agree that Ninty are a bad company with a poor CEO because of their lack of foresight.

Let's look at the wii. That shows foresight right? Yes, but what happened was that core gamers left Nintendo and have moved to either Sony or MS. Now in the past this wasn't an issue but nowadays with so much online play, just like WoW, people don't want to leave something they've invested time in - I'm talking about friends lists and trophies, as well as franchises.

Now Nintendo should have seen this coming and released an absolute power house (like the PS4) back in October instead of the Wii U, while subsidising it more than they currently are. This way it would have lured core gamers back to the Nintendo badge. Expecting casual gamers to come back to the Nintendo badge was a complete failure to understand the market. Those gamers flitter from one gadget to the next - unless you're the "cool" item, they will ignore you - Zynga are a victim of this as well.

Therefore releasing the Wii U, so far, shows to have been a complete misunderstanding of the market and may cost Ninty dearly.

Mazty said:
I agree that Ninty are a bad company with a poor CEO because of their lack of foresight.

Let's look at the wii. That shows foresight right? Yes, but what happened was that core gamers left Nintendo and have moved to either Sony or MS. Now in the past this wasn't an issue but nowadays with so much online play, just like WoW, people don't want to leave something they've invested time in - I'm talking about friends lists and trophies, as well as franchises.

Now Nintendo should have seen this coming and released an absolute power house (like the PS4) back in October instead of the Wii U, while subsidising it more than they currently are. This way it would have lured core gamers back to the Nintendo badge. Expecting casual gamers to come back to the Nintendo badge was a complete failure to understand the market. Those gamers flitter from one gadget to the next - unless you're the "cool" item, they will ignore you - Zynga are a victim of this as well.

Therefore releasing the Wii U, so far, shows to have been a complete misunderstanding of the market and may cost Ninty dearly.

The core gamers clearly left during the gamecube era . Most of those core gamers that stayed with the gamecube into the wii realized that Nintendo still supported the console with steady fresh first party offerings. Zynga is a victim of the social gaming bubble which popped in the last year. The wii was a bubble too but not to the same extent. Rather, the Wii became party thing, being played every so often at parties rather than just gathering dust. Also, the core gamers population is still small. I'm willing to guess that it is about 10 million per console with some overlap. Its not a complete misunderstanding of the market, its that core gamers have changed. Rather than being impulse buyers, they are looking more into other options and to get the most value out of their buck. The ones who impulse buy got jaded by the 3DS and Vita. That is why you will see the PS4 and new Xbox struggle similarly. Gaming PCs are becoming more viable options with Steam deals and the growth of the indie market as well as better tech becoming cheaper.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

So the Wii U will be a success, Iwata is an amazing CEO, and nintendo is a great company.
How can i say all of this is true and be %100 that everything I said is %100 fact? because its the opposite of what pachter said.

noname2200 said:
Raze said:
Pachter is still even mentioned anymore? Even after his adamant claims last gen? You might as well ask the hobo by the 7-11 about the state of the game industry, you might get better insight.

Even better: people trust their money to Pachter.

Remember that if anyone ever tries to claim that the financial sector is well run and managed.

Wow, there's some dumb people out there. And we wonder why we're in a recession? =D

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
PScollector said:
Patcher is a straight up fool.

Sir, I rose from my chair and applaused for a good 30 seconds when I read this :D, Bravo!

Well, it's an established fact that Pachter is a bad analyst with an unhealthy personal vendetta against Nintendo.

Why do people keep quoting this clown?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This guy is sick. With Iwata, Nintendo recovered from the disaters of Game Cube. NDS is the best selling handheld of all time and Wii is the best selling console of 7gen home console. How come Iwata is a poor CEO?

Yes, Wii U is in trouble, but it is too early to judge its fate.

Iwata did a decent job and much bettttttttter than Pachter.

I'm starting to agree with Malstrom's conspiracy theory on Pachter. There is something sinister behind his anti-Nintendo speech. There is simply no way a grown human being can be this dumb in some of the statements he's gone public with in his "analysis", let alone one who has a CAREER in this field. There is a purpose behind it. In this article, he practically says outright that he wants Nintendo out of the hardware business. He's not even subtle about it anymore. It's like he's losing his patience and can't help himself. Question is, why does he want Nintendo out as a hardware manufacturer? The only logical answer is that he is merely a talking piece for Sony, MS, and/or third parties, all of whom it would be in their best interest if Nintendo exited the hardware business.

And to exit the hardware business essentially spells the end for Nintendo as we know them. One only needs to look at the fate of Sega for this fact. Nintendo needs to stop listening to industry insiders, analysts, mainstream gaming media, and the "hardcore." I really hope that Nintendo comes to their senses and stops taking the bait from these people because if they continue to, they WILL fail. Look what happened when they did listen to them; the Wii U happened. Look what happened when they didn't; the Wii happened. Case in point..

I will say though, believe it or not, I DO agree with Pachter that Iwata has done a terrible job (at least in the last few years) and needs to be replaced.  Time to give someone else a shot in seeing if they can right the ship, someone who actually takes the business end of gaming semi-seriously, and not just the creative aspects.

Jumpin said:

Well, it's an established fact that Pachter is a bad analyst with an unhealthy personal vendetta against Nintendo.

Why do people keep quoting this clown?

Great post.

Seriously, we need to place a moratorium on Pachter quotes. The guy's analyses are shallow, reactionary, and above all wrong. He's famous for being wrong.

He actually makes some cogent points in this latest diatribe, but his bitterness ruins the message. He seems to want to be a celebrity more than an analyst. Here's a clue: a good analyst should be made famous for his thoughtful analyses, his insightful predictions, and his ability to measure the intangibles of the industry; he shouldn't be famous for being a jerk.