By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Understanding Anti-Aliasing

So, is anti-aliasing the responsible for messing up some character's hairs? I don't know if you've experienced this kind of graphical problem, but the borders of certain characters in videogames tend to get messed up, creating a blurry line that does not fit either the hair or the background.

Around the Network

is there a way to have the "to be displayed image" as the displayed image??

Brings me back to PS2 days. Oh so jaggy.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

bad aliasing problems have to be seen in motion, i think that's on of those things you have to see to be annoyed of it. when i look at screens without anti-aliasing or only little i see the edges but they aren't really a problem, if you see it in motion with all the flickering it's very annoying in my opinion. 

but the explanation is good if people don't know much about it.

Dat Dolphin Emulator.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
is there a way to have the "to be displayed image" as the displayed image??

Yeap you have to increase the pixels in the screen... so more resolution less anti-aliasing needed.

I think in 4k resolutions no game needs anti-aliasing in sub 60" screens... if you have a PC and the monitor support high resolutions is better to increase it than use heavily AA algorithms for image quality.

CGI-Quality said:
Wright said:
So, is anti-aliasing the responsible for messing up some character's hairs? I don't know if you've experienced this kind of graphical problem, but the borders of certain characters in videogames tend to get messed up, creating a blurry line that does not fit either the hair or the background.

That's potentially an aliasing issue, yep. 

There. Is that an anti-aliasing error? Sorry for the pic, couldn't find another that suited better.

Weedlab said:
Brings me back to PS2 days. Oh so jaggy.

have you played Infamous 1 ? that's next gen jaggyness ;) great game though

This might be slightly off topic, but do you think that real time graphics in extreme HD like 4k will have a need for anti-aliasing? I mean if you look at aliasing on SD games and compare it to aliasing on HD games, the lack of aliasing at 1080p is far less noticeable that it is at 480p. I'm talking about PC because you can turn the settings off and on to see the difference, but the same would obliviously apply to any gaming system.

I wonder if anti-aliasing will get left behind when games are rendered at such high resolutions that we can't even see the aliasing with our naked eye.

CGI-Quality said:

Hmmm, that actually looks like a shader + anti-aliasing error.

Any possible way to fix it?