By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The bans in Jaywood's thread are laudable

Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:

And what about a person who goes into one of those threads for matchmaking and is like, 'thanks for the offer, but I just started playing tomb raider which is really fun. I'd say if you like uncharted, get tomb raider, I think you'll like it better tbh'.

That would qualify as trolling, according to the context of the thread that shall not be named.

Yeah, go on and claim mods have no common sense. The bans were justified including the ban of Jaywood.

And the thread you don't want to name is JayWoods thread about a XBL-discount that was heavily derailed by people that want VGC to be a bad place for discussions.

I never said the mods have no common sense, though it would help me help you if you pointed out where and how I did.

Also, you have deemed those people to have an intent, that is not a necessary component of the moderation, only the rule is, so feel free to stop talking about people like that.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

I just want to make sure you understand that my position isn't that the recent moderations are a huge problem, but rather that it's I find it a bit one-sided. For instance, with jaywood...why did he get away with calling three people childish? I want Jaywood to know that I have no problem with him, but it did irk me that he came in here, was really reasonable, even going so far as to say that he understands and agrees, and then turns around, posts a link to my thread in his own, and calls me childish, when he was already warned for insults that day.

It's a lot more complex than you're making it out to be. I don't want them to abandon the "common sense law", but I would appreciate a lot of clarification.

That's a fair point. JayWood definitely needs a slap on the back of his head when he comes back, unless he learns from his recent moderations. But he did get banned on the same day, so he didn't really get away. You shouldn't always expect immediate mod action, because there are times when none of them is online (seems to occur more often during weekends than during the week).

I'll in turn take everything you've said into consideration. And thanks for your input Rol, it was illuminating. I will not, as I had resolved before, turn around and start reporting everything I take issue with. However, I will still keep that record I was talking about and only increase reporting where I see it becoming an issue.

Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:

And what about a person who goes into one of those threads for matchmaking and is like, 'thanks for the offer, but I just started playing tomb raider which is really fun. I'd say if you like uncharted, get tomb raider, I think you'll like it better tbh'.

That would qualify as trolling, according to the context of the thread that shall not be named.

Yeah, go on and claim mods have no common sense. The bans were justified including the ban of Jaywood.

And the thread you don't want to name is JayWoods thread about a XBL-discount that was heavily derailed by people that want VGC to be a bad place for discussions.

yea don't think Jaywoods ban wasn't purposely done. he can correct me if i'm wrong when he gets back. but we did talk about him taking a break.

the bold in the second sentence, i'm not buying. sometime it's trolling that creates the ability to drive discussion, as does derailment of a thread. it's all about taking the bait.

These recent bannings have been great. I hope they steer rational and less trollish discussion on the boards. Nothing wrong with a little trolling some times but when a guy has to preemptively ask that no one trolls a thread because he knows it's coming, there's an issue. That kind of behavior would go without saying on a board like GAF.

I guess if I get something positive out of this it's this: If we have a Sony thread talking about a certain sales milestone and MS fans come and start talking about Sony's financial situation, I can report them and fully expect them to get warned or banned.

Around the Network
pezus said:
thismeintiel said:
I guess if I get something positive out of this it's this: If we have a Sony thread talking about a certain sales milestone and MS fans come and start talking about Sony's financial situation, I can report them and fully expect them to get warned or banned.

Yep. And this is guaranteed to happen every.single.time. Or about GOTY awards and then someone mentions that sales are lower than some game they prefer.

Depends on the venom spewed in the posts.

I mean, you surely can't think arguing about GOTY (which is a collection of opinions) is the same as entering a thread that is nothing more than a heads up for a deal just to crap on something they have no interest in.

J_Allard said:
pezus said:
thismeintiel said:

Yep. And this is guaranteed to happen every.single.time. Or about GOTY awards and then someone mentions that sales are lower than some game they prefer.

Depends on the venom spewed in the posts.

I mean, you surely can't think arguing about GOTY (which is a collection of opinions) is the same as entering a thread that is nothing more than a heads up for a deal just to crap on something they have no interest in.

I think he is refering to threads that say a game won GOTY, not who should win.  So basically if someone makes a thread about X winning GOTY, people can't come in and talk about its sales or that they like Y better.  Same goes with threads about the PS3 reaching 77M or passing the 360.

@ pezus

I hope it is consistent.  Otherwise, the mods are going to feel the wrath of the Playstation Nation.  Which equates to a lot of complaints and stern looks. 

Yeah I understand that's what he meant. The two situations are not the same. Nor are threads about sales accomplishments. You guys wanna find a comparable PS3 thread for future ban bickering, think of a PS+ thread or something. Like you post a thread about Red Dead Redemption finally being free on PS+. Someone replies saying "LOL its 2013 get with the times Steam does everything PS+ does for free" or "FREE LOL" or "anything more than $0 for this service is too much"... those are the type of stupid, irrelevant replies that got people banned in that thread.

Debating the merits of a GOTY award or the importance of some sales accomplishment are not the same thing. I think you guys will be sorely disappointed.

J_Allard said:
Yeah I understand that's what he meant. The two situations are not the same. Nor are threads about sales accomplishments. You guys wanna find a comparable PS3 thread for future ban bickering, think of a PS+ thread or something. Like you post a thread about Red Dead Redemption finally being free on PS+. Someone replies saying "LOL its 2013 get with the times Steam does everything PS+ does for free" or "FREE LOL" or "anything more than $0 for this service is too much"... those are the type of stupid, irrelevant replies that got people banned in that thread.

Debating the merits of a GOTY award or the importance of some sales accomplishment are not the same thing. I think you guys will be sorely disappointed.

the problem is people don't get banned for those things despite being reported.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Mnementh said:

the bold in the second sentence, i'm not buying. sometime it's trolling that creates the ability to drive discussion, as does derailment of a thread. it's all about taking the bait.

Hmm, I was overexaggerating. I don't really think these people intently want VGC to become a bad place, but I think that will be the result of such actions. That's why I agree with the bans. Also it might not be a bad place for discussion itself, you're right on this, but a bad placce for civil discussions.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]