By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Wants to be Number Three, Thinks it “Could Buy Apple and Samsung” in the Future

They should be buying Samsung in 5 years and Apple in 10

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
Plezbo said:

It's rare that you see a Corporate Executive show off rabid fanboy insanity.  

Buy out Apple?  Are you serious?  Apple has something to the tune of $70 Billion in cash, sitting in the bank.  Sony had to sell it's headquarters building to drum up revenue and cover production costs.  At this point, if PS4 doesn't sell well, Sony won't even be able to afford AN apple by next year, let alone a Samsung device. 

Sony was basically selling liabilities to turn them into what they believe to be more useful assets or to trim up the company as a whole. Sony has mountains of those acquired from their golden age. They have billions of cash in bank and actually in the top 20 of world's companies with the most cash reserves. MS is way up there too. Samsung on the other hand are moslty able to make such huge profits and fund their R&D and marketing from the wong, possibly the world's most undervalued currency, a scenario that obviously won't last forever.

Anyways I'm not even sure why I am replying to a post that on more civilized circles would outright be called blatant trolling. Oh well.

Heh, well, I guess if you're reaching for the stars, you might as well reach straight through reality and start grasping at the completely intangible...

im a big sony fanboy but hahahahaha

"But with the market already being flooded with low-cost Android-powered phones, how cheap Sony – a company whose products are notorious for being on the pricey side – is prepared to go to stay afloat in such a competitive market is anyone’s guess."

Sony smartphones ARE Android aren't they?

Around the Network
VGKing said:
"But with the market already being flooded with low-cost Android-powered phones, how cheap Sony – a company whose products are notorious for being on the pricey side – is prepared to go to stay afloat in such a competitive market is anyone’s guess."

Sony smartphones ARE Android aren't they?

Yes, but that's not what they were trying to say. The latest Sony phones are premium just as much as the better Samsung smartphones. While there are low cost Android phones available competing in the market, older Android powered Sony phones are just as affordable. The author is just falsly associating the quality and price of Sony products in other markets to this one. Which isn't the authors worse mistake since he mistanslated or twisted the words of the article he cites to make it sound like Sony said they would buy Samsung or Apple in the future, even though it was a joke more about Samsung setting its sights on buying Apple and how Sony isn't so crazily ambitious. (At least that's how I read the direct translation) So yeah the author essetially reported that Sony said the opposite of what they did so I wouldn't really listen to anything they have to say.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

15 lines worth of text in the op that all point to SONY setting reasonable goals and being completely sane. Everyone focuses on the one line that does the contrary.

4 ≈ One

Tachikoma said:
LemonSlice said:
dsgrue3 said:
When I go to the source of the source in the OP and allow google to translate the Japanese it reads as follows:

"Become the third largest smartphone maker Apple and Samsung followed by" Sony [Headline]

[some content]
He said in the interview, he said "in shipments of smartphones, now Sony but ranked fourth in the world, and in the future overtake Huawei ranked third worldwide, established himself followed by Apple and Samsung" and .

So basically, Sony just wants to take over 3rd place. However, it does mention dreaming of acquiring Apple one day. Seems to be a joke (learned a little loneliness setting realistic goals).

"the dream much larger than Sony "It allows the acquisition of Apple. You will not be able to fulfill his dream is just management company, of course, is also true I learned a little loneliness setting realistic goals of executives iconic consumer electronics company Sony was once Japan."

Thanks for setting the record straight, even if no one will care.

Entirely off topic but Jo is freaking awesome.

Hell yeah! You're probably the first person to recognize the characters in my avatar. :D

^^^Holding the Eagles upside-down. Hardcore.

GamersAreTrash said:
Dmick90 said:
JoeTheBro said:
I understand buying apple but I doubt they will ever have the money in the bank to buy Samsung.

Apple is worth many billions more than Samsung. And Sony could never buy Apple, they are much, much bigger than Sony. Apple was contemplating the purchase of Sony a few years ago actually. Samsung will never be bigger than Apple because first of all the majority of their profits come from Apple! Apple is Samsung's biggest customer because they manufacture the processors, graphics chips, and other components for the iPhones, iPods, and iPads. If Apple were to totally cut them off which they wil be soon when they switch to Intel chips for the iPhone, it would be devastating. It will cut off Samsung's money supply which they need for marketing, design, research, new technologies, etc. The only reason Samsung is as big as it is today is because of Apple. Apple also has a slew of new products on the way with the Apple TV set (likely to put a dent in Samsung TV marketshare), the rumored iWatch, new iPhones coming to China mobile which is the biggest carrier in China. The only direction Apple can go is up, Apple gets bigger and bigger every day. 

This is blatantly false. The only area where Apple is worth billions more than Samsung is in market cap, which is just based on what *Analysts* think your company can make in the future. It's not a valid indicator of of how much assets you have or how much money your company is making right now. Just look at Amazon's ridiculous 900 P/E ratio.

Also, Apple may be Samsung's biggest customer, but to say most of Samsung's profits are from Apple's orders is just ridiculous. The Samsung Empire is composed of more than 80 companies that are involved in almost everything under the sun. Samsung Electronics alone made $22 billion in profits for 2012. 30 of the other companies made $21 billion. And note that the $43 billion in profit (Which is greater than Apple's $41 billion) was just from 31 of the 80 companies in Samsung.

"Dow Jones Newswires briefly reports on an article from the Korea Economic Daily claiming that Apple is set to sign contracts that would see Samsung providing $7.8 billion in parts for Apple's mobile devices this year, making Apple Samsung's largest customer." Simple math tells us that more than a third of Samsung's profits come from Apple. Apple is a much more profitable company than Samsung. Samsung is bigger by revenue and assets but Apple is far bigger in profits. What Samsung makes on TVs, Computers, Galaxy phones/tablets, and refrigerators (lol) is peanuts compared to what Apple makes. Apple made double what Samsung made in profits for 2012.

Many of those 80 different companies operate under the Samsung name as separate entities and are simply affiliates or alliances with other companies. The majority owned which are the subsidiaries, where most of the revenue and profits come from are Samsung Electronics, Samsung Life Insurance, Samsung Heavy Industries, etc.

You just can't possibly predict the future in this business. In the 90s Apple was at the edge of bankruptcy, they were in worse shape than Sony is today. And now look at them, they are only topped by some oil companies but they have a ashitload of money in the bank no doubt and could buy out almost every company on the planet, if they really wanted to. Won't happen, because the law has something to say too. It's called Kartellamt here in germany, I'm pretty sure there's some kind of counterpart in the US.

Anyway, it would need an absolute epic turnaround, but it isn't impossible. Just think about what happens if a new iphone bombs. That would hurt Apple really really bad and would lower their worth over night significantly. Samsung on the other hand has the same advantage as Sony themselves. They are in hundreds of markets, so if something doesn't do that well, they still can rely on their other businesses. It still isn't entirely impossible for them to be taken over some time in the future.

It may seem unlikely at the moment, but you never know what the future brings. Just never say never. Besides that, kudos to Sony, you should always aim for high targets. Even if you don't reach them, if you set the bar too low, you will never be on top.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.