By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider QTE's-- what am I doing wrong?

RolStoppable said:
twesterm said:

And no idea what Trex is. 

Tyrannosaurus Rex. The one enemy the original Tomb Raider was famous for. Obviously, it's in the remake as well.

Man, you are such a noob at video games. They should give you achievements for inserting the disc correctly.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a12965/press-start-to-play-achievement.htm

Around the Network
twesterm said:
nnodley said:
twesterm said:

That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. How am I supposed to know that? Why do you show me the button I press only after it's too late?

There was no tutorial in this, it just assumes you know some backwards system. Even knowing this now, I'm still not sure when to press Y. I pressed it once while the circles were closing in and still failed. At least mashing Y works I guess.

And this is the game that was supposed to make me less angry after getting screwed over by SimCity. 

It shows you what to push right when the outer circle hits the smaller circle and then you have like maybe 1-2 seconds to push it.  It also glows green when you can push it.

But what is the point of showing me the Y after I've ready failed?  And then what's the point of showing another symbol telling me I've failed after showing me the Y?

It's someone was trying to make QTE'S worse. 

I have not encountered it showing me the button after I failed to hit it and haven't seen the other symbol after failing it.  It just showes up and glows green when I'm suppose to push it and then flashes red when I fail.  I'll try and fail one tomorrow and see if I can tell what you are describing.  

I think I saw Lara gets eaten way too much to know this feeling.

...by wolves I mean.

CGI-Quality said:
twesterm said:

I'm general I hate QTE's but the ones in the Tomb Raider, I must just be doing something wrong. For the life if me I can't do them without just memorizing what they are by dying over and over. 

The little circles start closing in, the Y button appears (playing on 360), I press Y, the Y prompt is still on the screen, and then I fail. What. The. Fuck. 

The only way I've been able to get by any of them is to die, see what I'm supposed to press, and then just mash that button. 

What am I missing?  Is anyone else having the same problem?

Yep, playing on PC and was having a similar issue. They change what buttons to press in such quick instances that it becomes a chore to keep up.

http://kotaku.com/5989230/how-to-survive-tomb-raiders-annoying-pc-quicktime-events

you should read that.

It was annoying until it became obvious it was always LS back and forth then Y to escape. Hit it when the shrinking circle is between the two fixed ones. Or just waggle, get ready for Y and wait for it to light up.

I'm not a fan of QTEs but there aren't too many and you'll pick it up quickly. Reminds me a lot of Lost Odyssey. Be ready with the X when you make a long jump. You'll have the option to pick up melee finish skills later on. Use her duck and scramble move R and any direction with LS and it prompts for another Y. She'll jam an arrow in a knee to disable (down on the stick) or a throat, (up). Makes perfect sense!

Sorry, too much info. You've got 15-20 hrs to get used to it. Don't give up it just gets better and better.

Around the Network

I haven't played the game yet, but surely they can't be worse the Uncharted 1's QTEs? There were basically 2 in that entire game

ProTip: Stop sucking and start being awesome

nnodley said:
twesterm said:
nnodley said:
twesterm said:

That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. How am I supposed to know that? Why do you show me the button I press only after it's too late?

There was no tutorial in this, it just assumes you know some backwards system. Even knowing this now, I'm still not sure when to press Y. I pressed it once while the circles were closing in and still failed. At least mashing Y works I guess.

And this is the game that was supposed to make me less angry after getting screwed over by SimCity. 

It shows you what to push right when the outer circle hits the smaller circle and then you have like maybe 1-2 seconds to push it.  It also glows green when you can push it.

But what is the point of showing me the Y after I've ready failed?  And then what's the point of showing another symbol telling me I've failed after showing me the Y?

It's someone was trying to make QTE'S worse. 

I have not encountered it showing me the button after I failed to hit it and haven't seen the other symbol after failing it.  It just showes up and glows green when I'm suppose to push it and then flashes red when I fail.  I'll try and fail one tomorrow and see if I can tell what you are describing.  

Has there been an update to the game?  My internet was down last night so maybe I was playing an old version?

I just know the two little circles would appear, the outer one would shrink, and there were no symbols at all.  A Y would then appear (and my Y button does work) for a brief time, and then the red X would appear telling me I failed.

RolStoppable said:
I haven't played the game, but from the sound of it (circle closing in), you are supposed to press the button at the right time. Perhaps when the circle matches the size of the button?

It is always the same button you have to press when the circle closes in. You don't have to wait to see which button before you press it. It is about timing and not button recognition/response.

Not a fan of QTE. I feel your pain.