By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: The Wii U GamePad Gives Us Advantages over Tablets, Smartphones

KeptoKnight said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Well, in any case let me just say that after actually trying out the GamePad for Mass Effect 3 I'm stunned by how much I like it. It completely blew away all my expectations and removed all my previous desire to buy a PS Vita. Never thought I would see myself look forward to buy third party games for a Nintendo home console, but the GamePad changed everything.

And yes, as Miyamoto states, it has a clear advantage over tablets. Touchscreen + traditional buttons and analogue sticks = Win

I keep trying to tell that to people but a lot of them do not understand it. >.>

*For COD its also awesome.

Well as Iwata and Miyamoto continually state, Wii U is something that people have to play for themselves before they understand it.  Speaking from your experience as well as mine, even though it was a store demo unit, I think it's true.  Telling people about the benefits of playing Off-TV on the GamePad is not the same thing as giving someone a GamePad and having them play Off-TV for themselves.  I'm glad it isn't my job to market it, as it is one tough cookie.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

Controls wise it definitely is better than a smartphone/tablet.

Internet browser especially with videos is better as well.

But they have portability over the Gamepad for sure.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Cub said:
Nintendo's next handheld is gonna be a tablet, I've said for multiple years... all new handhelds will be tablets, by the end of 3D life cycle, Nintendo tablet will be strongly rumored. All I need is an official confirmation before making my "I was right all along" thread.

Possibly but it will probably have phsyical buttons on it like the Gamepad.  They just recently combined their hand held and console research teams so their next system will be a handheld/home console system all in one is my guess.

sales2099 said:
Screamapillar said:
sales2099 said:
WiiU cant access the Apple Store.

Ipad 1. WiiU 0

I'd say that's an advantage, not a disadvantage.  Myself and many others have no use for Apple Store. 

Plenty of apps to choose from. Dont see why "core" gamers have to avoid tablet games like the plague.

Oh and itunes.

I have games on my phone...most of them are terrible.  And I'd never pay a cent for them when I could play a game on a handheld or console.

Also...there are far better music services than iTunes.  Google Music, for instance.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Screamapillar said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Moore's Law says he's an idiot.

What does the number of transistors and integrated circuts doubling every two years have to do with Miyamoto's comments?

Because of stupid comments like this; "It used to be that when you were playing you had to choose whether you would use the television to watch TV or play games." People will most likely have their own tv or screen in their room, phones will be able to have multiplyer games on them that are more demaning than the WiiU games, so this feature is about 7 years too late.

Also remember that Moore's Law not only causes tablets and phones to become more powerful, but also cheaper to produce and purchase.

Around the Network
TheJimbo1234 said:
Screamapillar said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

What does the number of transistors and integrated circuts doubling every two years have to do with Miyamoto's comments?

Because of stupid comments like this; "It used to be that when you were playing you had to choose whether you would use the television to watch TV or play games." People will most likely have their own tv or screen in their room, phones will be able to have multiplyer games on them that are more demaning than the WiiU games, so this feature is about 7 years too late.

Also remember that Moore's Law not only causes tablets and phones to become more powerful, but also cheaper to produce and purchase.

Well the same holds true for Nintendo, though.  They see advances in technology that they use to their advantage same as any other consumer electronics company.  The only difference is that for game consoles, as opposed to tablets, the business model dictates that they remain the same for five years instead of being replaced and upgraded every 18-24 months.  I think it's an advantage, though.  It means you have each Wii U owner with the exact same system, so you don't have to make games worrying that not everyone has a quad-core, 2gb RAM smartphone or tablet.  It's a level playing field.

Screamapillar said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
Screamapillar said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Well the same holds true for Nintendo, though.  They see advances in technology that they use to their advantage same as any other consumer electronics company.  The only difference is that for game consoles, as opposed to tablets, the business model dictates that they remain the same for five years instead of being replaced and upgraded every 18-24 months.  I think it's an advantage, though.  It means you have each Wii U owner with the exact same system, so you don't have to make games worrying that not everyone has a quad-core, 2gb RAM smartphone or tablet.  It's a level playing field.

No...it really isn't. With the speed ARM and Intel are closing in on the golden 5nm transistor, proc power is going to skyrocket and phones will be the first to utilise this tech due to the high turn over rate. Also due to the simplicity of phones and tablets OS, games will be made quickly and effectively. This combined with EVERYONE owning a phone, the WiiU has insane competition in which it is about to get worse come 2014.

Picking up a Wii U killed most of my desire for a tablet. I use my Smartphone when traveling. I thought about getting a tablet to use on my couch, but now there is no need. I surf the net, check facebook and whatever else, while Sportscenter plays in the background. Then I tap the icon for COD and start killing people on my 50". WiiU 1, Apple iPad, 0.

sethnintendo said:
Otakumegane said:
sethnintendo said:
Otakumegane said:
Sorry Miyamoto but I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

I can't take the gamepad outside.

I can take mine to my porch.

My house must be more cluttered with signals then.

Nah I just live in a small 2 bedroom apt.  My porch is right next to my living room where my Wii U is.  Basically, I was just being a smart ass.

I can take mine to my upstairs bedroom and lay in bed while playing. :P

superchunk said:
sethnintendo said:
Otakumegane said:
sethnintendo said:
Otakumegane said:
Sorry Miyamoto but I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

I can't take the gamepad outside.

I can take mine to my porch.

My house must be more cluttered with signals then.

Nah I just live in a small 2 bedroom apt.  My porch is right next to my living room where my Wii U is.  Basically, I was just being a smart ass.

I can take mine to my upstairs bedroom and lay in bed while playing. :P

Is your bedroom directly above the room that your Wii U is in?