By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Justice is served! MGR first week beat DmC first month!

dont get the op. did dmc sleep with your mum or something? gaming fanatics are so twisted. they root for bad sales when all of it is interconnected. does the massive studio closings, game store closings etc... not alarm you. everybody might sit in their corners acting like spoiled children with their toy but we should be playing with them all. how many games have you slept on?

Around the Network

By the way it seems MGR will be a million seller next week, I'm terrible at sales predictions but it will probably sell 1.5M in its first year at an average of 50$ (almost full price). No wonder Kojima is already talking about a sequel, then we got Ground Zeroes and MGS5 for the classic stealth gameplay, damn KojiPro is on fire.

Ronster316 said:

Both great games, i can see how it would be tough to decide which is the better game, and i can appreciate that some see one as better than the other.

The parrying in MGR is cool an all, but i just personally felt that the combat was not quite as fluid as DmC for me.

Bottom line____________ is that BOTH games should be played by any hack 'n' slash fan out there.

Ninja Gaiden 2 & Bayonetta still reign supreme for me this gen though.

Pretty much agree, NG2 and Bayo are the top action games in the recent gen.

naruball said:

Typical internet attitude. The game I prefer is real, and the other one isn't.

Haven't played either, but based on reviews and users comments online, DMC is a great game and MGR good, but not great/quite flawed. So no justice here. Probably just the power of the MG name, plus maybe how cool the whole cutting things looks (I'm buying it at some point cuz it seems awesome and haven't seen anything like it in any game). That doesn't make it the better game.

Byrand said:

"imseriously, good or bad, and that's enough to convince critics. If MGR was neutered of its over the top anime type style but kept everything else intact I think mainstream critics would like it more.

Automatic +5 to any Japan game metascore and you get a more accurate result.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Around the Network
Mr.Y said:
naruball said:

Typical internet attitude. The game I prefer is real, and the other one isn't.

Haven't played either, but based on reviews and users comments online, DMC is a great game and MGR good, but not great/quite flawed. So no justice here. Probably just the power of the MG name, plus maybe how cool the whole cutting things looks (I'm buying it at some point cuz it seems awesome and haven't seen anything like it in any game). That doesn't make it the better game.

Care to elaborate?

ethomaz said:

S.T.A.G.E. said:

God of War is not an RPG...its just an Action/Adventure game.

The WItcher is not a Hack n slash, its an Action RPG.

Torchlight is from the same family as Diablo.

Ninja Gaiden was one of the first side scrolling hack n slash titles ever.....almost a decade before Diab.lo was ever came out.

That't the point... when this Ninja Gaiden was released the term was utilized only for Action RPGs...

The definition of Hack n Slash by Giant Bomb: "A term previously used to refer to RPGs that focus more on the action, today it more often refers to action games which focus on hack & slash gameplay."

Use this term for action games is more from 2000 to today... in 1990 when I started to play games Hack n Slash was about games like Gold Axe (the RPG... not the Arcade), Final Fantasy Adventure, MMO's and Action RPGs.

Edit - More previous hack n slashs games: The Legend of Zelda, Ys, Hydlide, Dragon Slayer, Bokosuka Wars, etc... and the first one The Dragon and Princess (1982).

Edit 2 - Here in Brazil we use Hack n Slash more for Action RPGs than Action GoW like games.

I consider any game that as a primary function depends on hack n slash a hack n slash game. Why? I grew up with beat em ups and hack n slash titles which were essentially the same thing. You had your plot and reason to fight and beat or slashed your way to victory over time evolving to create a combo system which ranks your attacks when Japanese companies created their versions of the games.

The genre you're looking for is a dungeon crawler (for western inspired action RPG's exploring lairs, slaying dragons, etc ) which is more based around the rules of DnD

http://guyspeed.com/best-dungeon-crawlers-ever/

The list has ALL of the games I mentioned. Those are not hack n slash games by genre, they merely use the element to keep the game an ACTION RPG rather than a TURNBASED RPG. This is the direction most RPG's are taking as the old turn based style in the west is dying out or just merely becoming niche.

justic is served for ps360 owners lol. two awesome games in one month. it pays to have third parties on console

BasilZero said:

Sorry but that difference isnt that huge...not brag worthy xD.

Devil May cry aint the same without this guy (even if he did make the disaster that is DMC2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_Itsuno

Only reason(s) why MGR sold better than DMC was

1. DmC was developed by Ninja Theory (l0l) (the design goes well with this reason)
2. Metal Gear is a bigger series than Devil May Cry.

Uh......Have you played Vanquish or Bayonetta?

Platnium Studios is an increadible studio. This game sold well because people knew who was developing it. Being a Metal Gear game helps, but this isn't a main line Metal Gear Game, where DMC is.

This is a case where a small developer made a game which outsold the bigger guys, and I just want to say.

Well done.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
BasilZero said:

Sorry but that difference isnt that huge...not brag worthy xD.

Devil May cry aint the same without this guy (even if he did make the disaster that is DMC2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_Itsuno

Only reason(s) why MGR sold better than DMC was

1. DmC was developed by Ninja Theory (l0l) (the design goes well with this reason)
2. Metal Gear is a bigger series than Devil May Cry.

Uh......Have you played Vanquish or Bayonetta?

Platnium Studios is an increadible studio. This game sold well because people knew who was developing it. Being a Metal Gear game helps, but this isn't a main line Metal Gear Game, where DMC is.

This is a case where a small developer made a game which outsold the bigger guys, and I just want to say.

Well done.

Em...yes...it is. xD