By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will PS3 top 100 million?

wow, big and long converation in the previous pages,

My answer is no, I think it would reach around 70 million total

Around the Network

I think it will do fairly well for itself but I think even Sony knew that it wasn't going to sell 100 million when they announced a $600 price tag. Lots of people are saying in the 60 to 80 million range, I think it may fall in between some where. Hopefully Sony won't go reaching for so much new technology next time that they have such an expensive system.

I think this should be labeled under epic fael.

superchunk said:
Thread too long, sorry.

To answer the OP, no. PS3 will never reach 100m. It will not have a 10yr life span either.

360 max is 40m
PS3 max is 80m
Wii max is 150m
I support this answer...mostly. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Three months later, and a few hearty souls still fighting the hopeless fight. I'm reminded of the absolute Nintendo diehard fans from the last generation, who stubbornly maintained that the Gamecube was going to rise up and slay the PS2... at some indeterminate date in the future. I enjoyed reading their posts then, and I'm getting a kick out of this thread too.

To add some numbers... Let's see, PS3 only has 88 million units left to go to reach the 100m mark. It's been averaging ~175k weekly for roughly the past month, at which rate it will only take 504 more weeks to top the mark. Sometime in late 2017 it will be time to break out the party hats and celebrate the PS3's achievement! [/sarcasm]

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Yes, easily and more than that. Once Japanese developers start to realize how dumbass stupid they were to drop RPG's at first on the 360, which doesn't make the games sell, they will return to the PS3 for sure. MGS4, Little Big Planet, White Knight Story, FFXIII, God of War, all games that will be massive hardware sellers. Whoops forgot GTAIV.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Nope it wont sell 100 million. The wii will. But I love this generation even though the console I own isn't winning it. The reason why this gen is great is that all the consoles will do well in the long run. While the wii will definetly win overall its not going to stop the 360 great software sales anytime soon and the ps3 strength in Europe is going to massively help it.

superchunk said:
Thread too long, sorry.

To answer the OP, no. PS3 will never reach 100m. It will not have a 10yr life span either.

360 max is 40m
PS3 max is 80m
Wii max is 150m

This is a very good prediction and probable. However I say the Wii max would be 120 million. The other two are spot on.

No. Never. Not.
Triple No!

Believe me, at one point, PS3 will have a 99$ price tag, and with blu-ray as the new format of choice, PS3's will sell like hotcakes.

Blu-ray is the key, because distributors wil FORCE it upon us by releasing movies first on BD, then on DVD, just like they did with DVD when VHS was king.

With the market growing 7 to 8% every year (that means more than 50% over 5 years), PS3 will easily sell 100 million. Wii will go far beyond that.

And Xbox 360 can go a long way too, if it can keep its strength up. And by that I mean: GAMES, released first on 360, or being exclusive to 360. But with Bungie, Bioware and Bizare Creations going multiformat, and Rare not getting the high level of quality they had in the N64 days, that's their main problem.

Sony's got its strategy set out, and will advance from here on.
- Blu-ray... Check!
- Massive amount of in-house dev teams... Check!
- Console built to last... Check!
- Console HDD easily and low cost upgradable... Check!
- Unique online offering (Home)... Check!
- Unique TV offering (PlayTV)... Check!
- Competitive price... Check! (admit it, 360 add-ons are way too expensive)
- Massive movie & music download service being prepared... Check! (they are, after all, Sony music and Columbia Tristar)
- Handy online store... Check!
- Region free gaming... Check!

They're not stupid you know. They've been planning this from the moment MS anounced their first Xbox. And yes, its a long term strategy. But as with all long term strategy's, it will bring them victory in the end.