By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sell Tokyo office building for 1.2 Billion dollars.

I honestly cannot understand how it is I ended up getting attacked in this thread. I did what any responsible member of this community would have done. I came across information that was relevant to the ongoing conversation, and yes Sony's financial situation is very relevant to the ongoing conversation, because it dictates what they can, and can not do in the field of gaming. I use Yahoo as my homepage, and this was the first story in their queue when I got online this morning.

When I came on these forums a little later, and saw that the story hadn't been posted yet. I copy pasted the story into a thread, and went along my merry way. I didn't even offer up a commentary about the story, and it wasn't, because I was not on to do so. I read through a couple other threads, and headed out to work. I don't know where this notion of me being a hyper partisan player is coming from. I don't adhere to any kind of party line. I have said it time and again. I like to play the devils advocate, and I like to think out of the box.

When I chime in on a thread it is usually to point out something that has gone overlooked, or to present a argument in a way that hasn't been considered yet. That is about the text book definition of a balanced approach. I am usually the guy offering up the third option in a debate. I am more interested in understanding the issue then pushing some tired old agenda. That has been beaten into the ground.

Stop projecting your biases, or your insecurities onto me. There are hundreds of posters on these forums that work tirelessly in pursuit of their agendas. I am simply not one of those people. I don't play for a team, and I don't go out to score point. I am more interested in articulating good points period.

Whether this sale is good or bad for Sony isn't apparent, and it will not be apparent until we have sufficient hindsight. It could take months or years until we know whether Sony will get a good return on investment from this capitol. Since in this exchange they are incurring a added cost of doing business. The only relevant question that needs to be asked is whether they can grow this newly acquired wealth by making good choices, or will they end up squandering it by making poor choices.

Speaking from a purely short term gaming perspective it is hard to see how this move is anything but a boon for Sony's gaming division. Even if this money isn't applied directly to console development, manufacture, or gaming software. It will probably end up funding something that may well have eaten into the available capitol that could have gone to the gaming division. Once you overlook long term consequences. It is hard to see how this move will not have incredibly positive short term results. This money could do a lot of good as far as what you are most concerned about goes.

Around the Network

Honestly, I read VCKing's post and not the rest of the thread. I think people assumed I was attacking them. I wasn't really pointing fingers at anyone - so calm down.

But yeah, there are lots of people who will try to spin anything Sony related into something bad. My issue with people claiming themselves as "analytical / objective" on these forums is that many are hiding behind that mask kind of like Fox News pretends they are fair and balanced. All of the sudden when their favorite company is being analyzed and it's not all positive, they get super defensive. All I'm saying is if you are going to be the analytical and objective guy, you need to be able to do it to all three companies without letting your bias interfere or don't claim that position.

As for this piece of news, I'm not saying it's all rainbows with Sony. I've been saying that they need to get rid of their TV division for a while. It's not really worth keeping at this point. As for the game division, I've questioned whether they should be in the portable business. Sometimes, I think they should just focus on the home console market and would be much better off. I think the Vita will wake up in Japan much like the PSP did once the device is small enough and the price is right, but probably not much elsewhere.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Good move.

Why companies waste cash of buildings is beyond me, same work can be one in a leased place somewhere else for much cheaper. Apple Google can blow cash on buildings now but they will eventually regret it.

BeElite said:
Good move.

Why companies waste cash of buildings is beyond me, same work can be one in a leased place somewhere else for much cheaper. Apple Google can blow cash on buildings now but they will eventually regret it.

Yeah, buildings are worthless. It's not like that gain value over the years and can be sold for a profit when times get rough... oh wait...

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
BeElite said:
Good move.

Yeah, buildings are worthless. It's not like that gain value over the years and can be sold for a profit when times get rough... oh wait...

oh wait what?  Maybe Sony saw this sale as the best opportunity to sell the building at a decent price.  I know you have a crystal ball and was able to see the future value of the building and all but the commercial real estate market has extreme highs and lows and unless you are inside of China, many properties in urban areas around the world are already mature.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
BeElite said:
Good move.

They deteriarate they need massive up keep and then the wonderfull property taxes.

And yes tgey gain value untill a bubble burts and you building is worth a quoter of what you payed for it.  yay.  

BeElite said:

They deteriarate they need massive up keep and then the wonderfull property taxes.

And yes tgey gain value untill a bubble burts and you building is worth a quoter of what you payed for it.  yay. 

So between buying a building and renting out the best option is to rent in your PoV? That seems very out of left field, I never heard that before.

Do the upkeep and taxes match rent? I'd be very surprised if they do. What about the money earned on reselling, does that count for nothing?

No I agree with Trucks here.

happydolphin said:
BeElite said:

So between buying a building and renting out the best option is to rent in your PoV? That seems very out of left field, I never heard that before.

Do the upkeep and taxes match rent? I'd be very surprised if they do. What about the money earned on reselling, does that count for nothing?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-12/tokyo-office-rent-falls-to-record-low-on-rising-vacancies.html

If sony's new building had a very high vacancy rate (which, in tokyo, is still near record highs), they are not getting money by renting out.  Combine that with rents reaching records lows, if seems to me that they are making the smart chocie.  *sigh* Its like people are not even thinking anymore.

Train wreck said:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-12/tokyo-office-rent-falls-to-record-low-on-rising-vacancies.html

If sony's new building had a very high vacancy rate (which, in tokyo, is still near record highs), they are not getting money by renting out.  Combine that with rents reaching records lows, if seems to me that they are making the smart chocie.  *sigh* Its like people are not even thinking anymore.

It has nothing to do with not thinking, this is a conversation.

If you have info we don't have you share it and we process it, period.

Back to your point, I had no idea. But anyways, it doesn't fully answer my questions. They had people in that building so they didn't need to rent it out.

happydolphin said:
BeElite said:

Would they be selling if it was profitbale, not likely.

It was a cost, when times are good they could eat it.  When times are tough you get rid of whats draining you.