Excited 4 0.51%

Angry 2 0.26%

Awful 7 0.90%

Total:583
JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:
JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:

I didn't really catch what this "presence" thing is. I though it was just a marketing buzz word.

Please enlighten me.

Presence is about tricking your brain into thinking the VR world is real.

"First, any VR headset needs to create "presence" for the person using the headset. Abrash defined presence as such:

"It's the sense of being someplace else while in virtual reality; many people feel as if they've been teleported. Presence is an incredibly powerful sensation, and it's unique to VR; there's no way to create it in any other medium."

Cliché as it is, VR headsets aim to do exactly what their name implies: simulate a new reality for the user, real enough to fool the human brain. Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe echoed that sentiment to us earlier this year when he said that the closer the experience is to reality, the better the experience is for the user. Sadly for us writers, "presence" -- or rather the experience of using a virtual reality headset and being convinced -- is incredibly hard to convey with just words. "Most people find it to be kind of magical, and we think that once people have experienced presence, they'll want it badly,"Abrash noted during his talk."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/18/valve-vr-steam-dev-days/

So my understanding was correct. It was just a marketing buzzword. Presence is not a thing but the bare minimum I expect of VR.

No your understanding is still wrong if you think it's just a marketing buzzword.

Watch this:

Yep I'm still right. It's just a word that describes the the optimal VR experience. And as I said before, I don't think it's something special. It's what I expect the least from a modern VR device. i wouldn't even consider anything VR that isn't evoking "presence". So yeah, it's a useless word because to me presence = VR.

I was just confused because you described it as if it were a thing.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

A bit dissapointed that it's LCD instead of OLED, maybe the final version will be OLED although definitely it would drive the price higher...also 90 FOV is the bare minimum. Crystal Cove is 110 iirc, so that could also improve a bit, but overall very good specs.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
A bit dissapointed that it's LCD instead of OLED, maybe the final version will be OLED although definitely it would drive the price higher...also 90 FOV is the bare minimum. Crystal Cove is 110 iirc, so that could also improve a bit, but overall very good specs.

its about Price, OLED will make it a lot more expensive. LCDs now days have really good quality (well some of them) of course, they arent as good as OLED screens. when price goes down in a year or so, i think they will make a new version with OLED screens. 

the-pi-guy said:

Eve Valkyrie will support Morpheus.  

wut is that?

the-pi-guy said:
bananaking21 said:
the-pi-guy said:

Eve Valkyrie will support Morpheus.  

wut is that?

EVE: Valkyrie (formerly EVE-VR) is a multiplayer dogfighting shooter game set in theEVE universe that uses a virtual reality headset to give the player the sense of being in a real dogfight. Eve: Valkyrie is set to be released on Microsoft Windows and thePlayStation 4 video game console. On Windows it will be a launch title for the Oculus Rift virtual reality head-mounted display.[1] On the PlayStation 4 the game will have support from the PlayStation 4 virtual reality headset, whose working title is Project Morpheus.[4]

Also, look at how lame these guys look. 

is there any gameplay for the game? their last FPS was kind of dissapointing. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
bananaking21 said:

is there any gameplay for the game? their last FPS was kind of dissapointing. 

No idea, I d on't know anything about the game.  

you are useless. this is why your parents dont love you. 

Can't wait for Project Morpheus, and 2 days ago for Infamous, great !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Is the price out for the digital midnight release of Infamous yet?

accidental post sorry.

bananaking21 said:
eFKac said:

its about Price, OLED will make it a lot more expensive. LCDs now days have really good quality (well some of them) of course, they arent as good as OLED screens. when price goes down in a year or so, i think they will make a new version with OLED screens. 

Have you tested the recent technology that Sony implied in thier LCD / LED display ? for example Triluminos technology , which expands the range of color reproduction ( gamut ). LED Live color technology to improve the contrast, vividness and sharpness.

You really need to see it to believe how good it is, somehow they managed to get richer colors than OLED screen ( which is way oversaturated imo ), while keeping the accurate tone and white balance which is the bigest problem in OLED ( always greenish due to the mapping and amount of green sub-pixels in opposite to red and blue normal pixels), the only real advantage of OLED is the deeper black. Even though OLED screen still offer a somewhat wider gamut, the color accuracy is absence especially between green and blue which loses the whole point of having a wider gamut.