Happy 549 70.38%

Sad 17 2.18%

Scared 4 0.51%

Excited 4 0.51%

Angry 2 0.26%

Awful 7 0.90%

Total:583
JoeTheBro said:

Presence in itself is the killer app. It's 100% a gimmick at this stage but at least to me that's worth spending hundreds of dollars for. Real VR "games" such as racers aren't even needed to get this thing selling like hotcakes, but of course that's just my opinion. It'd be amuzing/sad if it ends up like Kinect: a huge success to the casual market, but lacking any titles for core gamers.

I didn't really catch what this "presence" thing is. I though it was just a marketing buzz word.

Please enlighten me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
JoeTheBro said:

Presence in itself is the killer app. It's 100% a gimmick at this stage but at least to me that's worth spending hundreds of dollars for. Real VR "games" such as racers aren't even needed to get this thing selling like hotcakes, but of course that's just my opinion. It'd be amuzing/sad if it ends up like Kinect: a huge success to the casual market, but lacking any titles for core gamers.

I didn't really catch what this "presence" thing is. I though it was just a marketing buzz word.

Please enlighten me.

Presence is about tricking your brain into thinking the VR world is real.

"First, any VR headset needs to create "presence" for the person using the headset. Abrash defined presence as such:

"It's the sense of being someplace else while in virtual reality; many people feel as if they've been teleported. Presence is an incredibly powerful sensation, and it's unique to VR; there's no way to create it in any other medium."

Cliché as it is, VR headsets aim to do exactly what their name implies: simulate a new reality for the user, real enough to fool the human brain. Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe echoed that sentiment to us earlier this year when he said that the closer the experience is to reality, the better the experience is for the user. Sadly for us writers, "presence" -- or rather the experience of using a virtual reality headset and being convinced -- is incredibly hard to convey with just words. "Most people find it to be kind of magical, and we think that once people have experienced presence, they'll want it badly,"Abrash noted during his talk."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/18/valve-vr-steam-dev-days/

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319.html

Constitution Processor unit, a head-mounted unit
Display system LCD
Display Size 5 in.
Display Resolution 1920 × RGB × 1080 
(to display an image of 960 × RGB × 1080 in each of the left and right eye)
Horizontal viewing angle 90 degrees
Mounted sensor Acceleration sensor, gyro sensor
Connection I / F HDMI + USB
Function 3D audio, social screen

So I'm taking a guess here but I think that the VR headset will be out along side the new Uncharted game or maybe even a surprised revive game. Either way it'd be very cool and I'm ready for this. CMON E3!

PSN: SoLFaceEvil

JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:
JoeTheBro said:

Please enlighten me.

"First, any VR headset needs to create "presence" for the person using the headset. Abrash defined presence as such:

"It's the sense of being someplace else while in virtual reality; many people feel as if they've been teleported. Presence is an incredibly powerful sensation, and it's unique to VR; there's no way to create it in any other medium."

Cliché as it is, VR headsets aim to do exactly what their name implies: simulate a new reality for the user, real enough to fool the human brain. Oculus VR CEO Brendan Iribe echoed that sentiment to us earlier this year when he said that the closer the experience is to reality, the better the experience is for the user. Sadly for us writers, "presence" -- or rather the experience of using a virtual reality headset and being convinced -- is incredibly hard to convey with just words. "Most people find it to be kind of magical, and we think that once people have experienced presence, they'll want it badly,"Abrash noted during his talk."

So my understanding was correct. It was just a marketing buzzword. Presence is not a thing but the bare minimum I expect of VR.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319.html

Constitution Processor unit, a head-mounted unit
Display system LCD
Display Size 5 in.
Display Resolution 1920 × RGB × 1080 
(to display an image of 960 × RGB × 1080 in each of the left and right eye)
Horizontal viewing angle 90 degrees
Mounted sensor Acceleration sensor, gyro sensor
Connection I / F HDMI + USB
Function 3D audio, social screen

Tricky. So they will need to pack in an HDMI hub for the mirroring on the TV.

The world has changed.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

vivster said:
JoeTheBro said:
vivster said:

Please enlighten me.

So my understanding was correct. It was just a marketing buzzword. Presence is not a thing but the bare minimum I expect of VR.

No your understanding is still wrong if you think it's just a marketing buzzword.

Watch this:

Raven722 said:

"On 18th February 2014 it was announced by Ken Levine via an open letter posted on the Irrational Games Website that Irrational Games would be closing. All but fifteen members of the Irrational Games staff would get laid off with the team helping them to find new jobs within and outside of 2K Games and that 2K was now in charge of the BioShock IP. Levine and the 15 remaining members of the team would be creating new, smaller games focusing on a replayable narrative for the core gamers. The games will be released digitally with Take-Two/2K Games funding and publishing them."

Your move, bish. :P

what on earth happened to irrational games? they were making some of the highest rated games in the industry!

OMG JOETHEBRO WE DID IT. WE CHANGED THE WORLD.

HYPE IS REAL!!!